Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Mar 2014 (Tuesday) 09:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So i can? use Cokin filter adaptor on my 77mm 70-200?

digitalduck
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 25, 2014 09:33 |  #1

Basic question.. I have seen people, especially Karl Taylor using what looks like Cokin square filters, but wanted to confirm that the adaptor system can be used wiht my 70-200 77mm lens?

I could get round filters, but i like the apparent versatility of a square set.. thoughts?

Thank you!

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,234 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 25, 2014 09:43 |  #2

There are two types of the cokin filters, one is too small for a 77mm lens. I cant remember the letter designations. What filters are you thinking of getting? Square is good for graduated ND filters, fine for landscape work. Perhaps a bit awkward for some other purposes.

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 25, 2014 09:49 |  #3

Morniong Gonzo.. lol I was thinking about a CPL and split ND or graduated.. unsure of strenght or amount but will have to experiment..

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,234 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 25, 2014 10:10 |  #4

digitalduck wrote in post #16784816 (external link)
Morniong Gonzo.. lol I was thinking about a CPL and split ND or graduated.. unsure of strenght or amount but will have to experiment..

I'd stick with round for the CPL personally.

sawsedge
802 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 25, 2014 10:55 |  #5

I think the Cokin P-series adapter will fit a 77mm filter. Cokin has a round CPL that fits in the first slot of the holder.

- John

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 25, 2014 17:52 |  #6

The Cokin P will just fit a 77 mm threaded lens, but you may experience vignetting with wide angle lenses that are at that 77 mm limit. The filters are 84-85 mm. Better, if you have or expect to have a lens that takes 77 mm filters to get the 4"/100 mm holders from Lee (or Cokin's Z-Pro) and use the larger filters.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Maxdave
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 26, 2014 07:14 |  #7

sawsedge wrote in post #16784942 (external link)
I think the Cokin P-series adapter will fit a 77mm filter. Cokin has a round CPL that fits in the first slot of the holder.

I use the P series with my 77mm lenses ... but if the focal length is less than 25mm or so, you have vignetting (or at least the possibility).

Maxdave

5D3,1D4,S90,6S&Moment Lenses,Hero4Silver,GPS​-E2,2x580EX,430EX,90EX,​EF16-35L f/4 IS,Samy SYTS24-C 24TS,EF24-105L IS,EF50 f/1.4,EF70-200 f/4L IS,EF300 f/4L IS,EF100-400L I IS,Kenko DGX 1.4X,Canon 2X TC Mk II, RRS&Pro-Media L-Brackets,Manfrotto MHXPRO-3WG & Roller 50,Sirui 306&K-20,Giottos MT-7371&MH-3300,Velbon ElCarmagne 530,CamRanger,Phottix&​Canon Remotes,Lowepro Backpack,ThinkTank Retro 20&Modular System,OpTech straps,Lexar/San Disk Cards

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 26, 2014 08:50 |  #8

After reading more and questioning which filter I see that, for example, Karl Taylor uses lee filters and I've read mixed reviews of Cokins. However, would they be good filters to start with and if I happen to get that Great Wall worthy shot will it still produce good enough results and can't the vignetting be removed in LR?

Also I'd be using my 17-50 2.8

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,234 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 26, 2014 09:41 |  #9

digitalduck wrote in post #16787440 (external link)
After reading more and questioning which filter I see that, for example, Karl Taylor uses lee filters and I've read mixed reviews of Cokins. However, would they be good filters to start with and if I happen to get that Great Wall worthy shot will it still produce good enough results and can't the vignetting be removed in LR?

Also I'd be using my 17-50 2.8

Vignetting will be less of an issue with a crop body, but if you go full frame it becomes huge on the ultrawide lenses.

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 26, 2014 09:48 |  #10

Thanks Gonzo, so, would the Cokin be good filters to start with and if I happen to get that Great Wall worthy shot will it still produce good enough results. I mean ebay has a set, with filter adaptor and one Split ND filter for 8.99... seems worth a shot.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,234 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 26, 2014 09:51 |  #11

digitalduck wrote in post #16787568 (external link)
Thanks Gonzo, so, would the Cokin be good filters to start with and if I happen to get that Great Wall worthy shot will it still produce good enough results. I mean ebay has a set, with filter adaptor and one Split ND filter for 8.99... seems worth a shot.

For $9 bucks it might be worth a shot. I just reread one post and I think we should make something clear. When you talk about filters vignetting its not just darker to the edge like you get with a zoom. Its the mount of the filter system sticking into the camera's view. The only fix for that is a crop.

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 26, 2014 09:56 |  #12

LOL..aww yeah, that is very different thanks for cleaning that up Gonzo, ive never had to deal wiht that before..ok, crop (sensor) it is then :)

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 26, 2014 13:49 |  #13

So im seeing a lot of different circular CPL filters from Cokin. Do I need to be looking for a certain one that it will fit into the holder?

Thanks

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,234 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 26, 2014 14:03 |  #14

They should be listed as fitting a particular series, identified by letter.

sponsored links

2,152 views & 0 likes for this thread
So i can? use Cokin filter adaptor on my 77mm 70-200?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.