Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 26 Mar 2014 (Wednesday) 21:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where to draw the line

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,605 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Apr 02, 2014 19:40 |  #106

You didn't answer my question ;) So are they all going to share equally in the success of the company?

If not then they are just employees doing the job they were hired to do. They aren't owners/investors with a powerful incentive to do whatever is necessary to make the company a success nor are they indentured servants there to do whatever you want.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links
Northwoods ­ Bill
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 02, 2014 19:58 |  #107

Sorry, let me be more direct. No they will not get a portion of the business. If one of them is interested in buying it I may entertain that. You are right they are not owners / investors (they have taken no risk) which is why they would not benefit from the sale. The incentive in making the business succeed is having a place to work. I understand ever Wednesday as I write their paychecks that they are not indentured servants.

Bill R
Web:https://www.flickr.com​/photos/whitebirch/ (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 02, 2014 20:20 |  #108

The incentive is to be paid a fair amount for the job they were employed to do. The one which they saw advertised. Any employer looking to get people to do work well beyond the scope of that advertisement is taking advantage of the employee and also misreperesented the position when advertising it. If someone has a bucketload of unrelated skillsets as the OP does they should be paid accordingly if then undertaking that work. Granted the company may be able to negotiate a discounted rate but they should certainty not get it for free.

In my book they can renegotiate a contract for the employee to do the work, they could hire a third party to do it... or if they got shirty the employee could just find another employer who valued their skillset as it ahould be valued.

The employee has no vested interest in being taken advantage of... their incentive is to be paid a fair rate.

Peter

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 02, 2014 20:43 |  #109
bannedPermanent ban

As far as I see it, there are only two issues that needed to be resolved:

1. Use of personal equipment when used for the company needs to be realized and properly accounted for.

2. Work on the OP's own time doing post work needs to be either paid out properly or somehow compensated for.

All this dribble about job descriptions and not hired for this position is just that dribble. Would you really rather sit everyday, day in and day out doing only what you were hired for till you kick the bucket, or do you want to expand your worth to the company, be flexible in what you can do and possibly grow within the company.

If you want to live inncubicle 23 forever, make it difficult for the company to see your expanded value for the company. If you are a go getter, jump at opportunities as they present themselves...you'd be amazed where open doors will lead...right past cubicle 23.

Northwoods ­ Bill
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 02, 2014 20:46 |  #110

Hogloff wrote in post #16805549 (external link)
As far as I see it, there are only two issues that needed to be resolved:

1. Use of personal equipment when used for the company needs to be realized and properly accounted for.

2. Work on the OP's own time doing post work needs to be either paid out properly or somehow compensated for.

All this dribble about job descriptions and not hired for this position is just that dribble. Would you really rather sit everyday, day in and day out doing only what you were hired for till you kick the bucket, or do you want to expand your worth to the company, be flexible in what you can do and possibly grow within the company.

If you want to live inncubicle 23 forever, make it difficult for the company to see your expanded value for the company. If you are a go getter, jump at opportunities as they present themselves...you'd be amazed where open doors will lead...right past cubicle 23.

Very well put.

Bill R

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 02, 2014 21:33 as a reply to  @ Northwoods Bill's post |  #111

DAMMIT! I've been in cubicle 21 all this time.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 02, 2014 23:35 |  #112

I'm already in cubicle 24 and I don't even have to share a stapler.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 02, 2014 23:38 |  #113

Expand your worth... I.e. move to another company that pays you properly for what you do and gives you your own office.

Peter

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 02, 2014 23:39 |  #114

As far as whether I want to do the same thing day in and day out...that's up to me not my employer. If I want an odd jobs job I'd apply for an odd jobs job. If I want repetitive I'd apply for repetitive. I wouldn't apply for one job if I really wanted another. I can find my own creative outlet if I want...you know...hobbies...perso​nal photography.

What I don't want is the job I applied for being pulled out and another one put in its place, at random, and extra load added without compensation just because I'm good at it and make if LOOK easy.

"Be thankful you have a job."

How about being thankful you have good employees who respect themselves and want to do what they were hired to do? We as business owners are always b1tching about how hard it is to find qualified help. Let your qualified help do their danged job and have some time for family left over.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 02, 2014 23:53 |  #115

One problem I see with some posts is the confusion between being hard working, and being over worked.

I'm all for doing the best I can do at what I was hired to do. Heck I'm that guy who works so hard he pisses everyone else off because it makes them look bad. That's not the same as being treated as a paid slave. And no I won't clean your toilets for the good of the team. I'll clean my own toilets for the good of my team but if I can't, I'll hire a maid. I'm not going to make my accountant do it. The maid applies for the job knowing she will be cleaning. The accountant applies for his job knowing he will be reminding me I couldn't really afford that maid.

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 03, 2014 00:08 |  #116

cdifoto wrote in post #16805924 (external link)
One problem I see with some posts is the confusion between being hard working, and being over worked.

I'm all for doing the best I can do at what I was hired to do. Heck I'm that guy who works so hard he pisses everyone else off because it makes them look bad. That's not the same as being treated as a paid slave. And no I won't clean your toilets for the good of the team. I'll clean my own toilets for the good of my team but if I can't, I'll hire a maid. I'm not going to make my accountant do it. The maid applies for the job knowing she will be cleaning. The accountant applies for his job knowing he will be reminding me I couldn't really afford that maid.

I agree. I will work my butt off but when I am asked and expected to do things so far out of what I was hired to do simply to "help out the team" that just shows me the company I am working for is not doing well and they cannot afford to hire the proper staff. I have had three jobs like that and not one of the companies I worked for lasted more than 6 months after I left.

Northwoods ­ Bill
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 03, 2014 05:12 |  #117

OK. I am out. Enough of this.

Thankfully as employees you are free to choose who you work for and as employers we are free to choose who works for us.

Bill R

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 18, 2014 10:37 |  #118
bannedPermanent ban

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16835379 (external link)
The last image looks like you missed focus.

Maybe he should stick to his day job ONLY? Just askin!

Dave

Northwoods ­ Bill
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 18, 2014 10:42 |  #119

Bakewell wrote in post #16843565 (external link)

And..... Here we go again :)

Bill R

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 18, 2014 11:05 |  #120

Bakewell wrote in post #16843565 (external link)

Post images. Expect CC. Part and parcel of being a tog.

Peter

sponsored links

14,926 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where to draw the line
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.