Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 10 Feb 2006 (Friday) 02:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A no frills wedding?!

PIXI_666
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 10, 2006 02:13 |  #1

Hi Guys

I just e-mailed my brother (Im their wedding photographer for their big day) and i have just encountered a slight problem (More for me than anything!!)

His fiance' is very against having this wedding, she wants to be married, but really isn't for all the frills n fancy bits, so they are having a VERY simple cocktail party and ceremony.

Anyway he told me Kate isn't too keen on having photo's anyway, and the "Pro Shots" will probably not even happen, im going to push for it because it hink it is nice to have at least 2 photo's at the very LEAST that they can have framed up on their wall - that are posed and well thought out.

The rest will be very casual shots - she wants candid but i think i might just use my artistic approach because i really don't liek doing candid, if anything id prefer candid with artsy fartsy involved if youg et what i mean?

I guess my main problem is not being able to get real creative with the photo shoot - and to ask if anyoen else has had a couple like this? I have not just them but clients the weekend after wanting the same thing lol so im surrounded by the no frills weddings. They don't have bridesmaids and groomsmen or anything like that

It IS their wedding after all and im happy to do this for them - but should is till convince them to have some pro shots??

Del

"Capturing, Creating & Preserving your memories"
Adelle Cousins Photography

www.adellecousins.com.​au (external link)
nfo@adellecousins.com.​au (external link)

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,923 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 10, 2006 05:04 |  #2

I have one of these coming up in about ten days... the bride isn't keen on photos but the parents are. I've not talked to her yet even, we'll meet a few days before the wedding, when she's in the city. I plan to do whatever she asks, and point out the photos are their memory and also for their parents, if she doesn't come around she's the boss and i'll do whatever she wants. Ask me thursday week if I have any more ideas.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,909 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 10, 2006 05:18 |  #3

When my daughter got married last summer, she wanted mostly candids of her day. The men were very unco-operative when it was their turn to be photographed. Talk about pulling your hair out!!! Yet, the B&G's favorite photos were the candid moments and not the portraits or group shots. Good luck and just shoot from the wings.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 10, 2006 05:57 |  #4

On my first wedding I was told by the bride that she wanted candids. Nothing posed. On the day of, suddenly she started pulling people from the reception up onto the stage for posted shots....and expected me to be prepared. Then she chewed me out when I presented photos that she said "aren't worth printing".

No matter what the bride tells you she wants before the wedding....do the opposite...because I guaran-damn-tee ya she'll want the opposite...and blame you for not doing it.

Brides are nuts.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock
4,052 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 10, 2006 06:42 |  #5

I'd say you push for posed portraits and do the rest candid. She *will* come around and then be disappointed when she see's that there's no "nice images" of she and her husband. Plus like always, the parents wants those traditional photo's. So tell her to give you 10 min to give you *some* of that.

/Petra Hall
Click here to view my geeky gear list
I shoot as much as possible in available light... sometimes, my flash is available – Joe Buissink

PIXI_666
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 10, 2006 07:07 |  #6

Great suggestions guys....to bring in the fact that the parents will want those shots (Kate is kinda against doing what her mum and dad want HAHAHA) but maybe she will listen for just a quick 20 minute shoot to the side - i can get at LEAST 20 shots then...and ill just get everyone around to sit there and make fun of them as that should make them laugh LOL
After all...they are my brother and sis in law - i can tell them what to do LOL within reason!!

Del

ricohcam01
417 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 10, 2006 07:18 as a reply to  @ PIXI_666's post |  #7

Well Well Well:

In my area most of the clients would like to have 20% Portiture and 80% Journalistic type photography. And I make sure that I ask what they are
looking for. I have a few outdoor weddings where I think this will work
really well. I find you can be more artistic with the Candids. Just the 2
cents I always give. Good luck on the shoot and I would like to see some
of them when you are ready to post them.

"Every shoot is a chance to learn!"
Canon 5D
Canon 10D
50mm 1.8 II lens
85mm 1.8 lens
28-80 3.5-5.6lens
75-300 4.0-5.6lens
The rest is not canon.
Oooops did I say that out loud.

mizuno
Goldmember
1,680 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 10, 2006 17:19 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Whomever is paying the bill - do what they tell you.

DAN CRIPPS PHOTOGRAPHY (external link) | BLOG (external link) | PITBULL MANSION (external link)
30D x 2 | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS | EF 50 1.4 | EF 70-200 2.8 IS L | 580EX x 2 |

PIXI_666
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 10, 2006 21:32 |  #9

LOL they aren't paying a bill...he's my bro, its our gift to them

kawter2
Goldmember
2,046 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 10, 2006 22:25 |  #10

put on a long lens and document the day... tell them that you are available for ANYthing they would like... If it is a gift. give them the gift they want to recieve rather than the gift you want to give..

Wedding Blog (external link)
Eric J. Weddings (external link)

PIXI_666
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 11, 2006 02:07 |  #11

LOL yes Kawter...i guess you are right, although people have suggested that parents will want a few nice posed shots, so its all good i will get a couple off them, but then stay in the background most of the day to get those casual shots they want - who knows, they could turn out to be th ebest ones!!!!

Del

clengster_77
613 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 11, 2006 03:22 as a reply to  @ PIXI_666's post |  #12

candid moments gives you the most natural look, smiles and poses of the subject your shooting at. good luck on that day :)

cleng

Canon 5D x 2
16 - 35L mk1 + 85 1.2L FD + 70 - 200 2.8L
50 1.4 + 85 1.8 + 580 EX + 420 EX + 055ProB + 488Rc2

kawter2
Goldmember
2,046 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 11, 2006 14:03 |  #13

trust me PIXI I know it SUCKS.. i have had a few customers with the same mindset,,,, one bride told me (I actually didn't even want a photographer but my mom made me and she paid for it)

the thing was, by the end of the day she was "wanting" and "posing" for shots on her own.. sometimes if you just let them unstress and let them know that you will do WHATEVER they wan't, they open up and become less of bridezilla

hehe

good luck

Wedding Blog (external link)
Eric J. Weddings (external link)

PIXI_666
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 11, 2006 19:29 |  #14

hahaha Yes i understand being bridezilla, i think i lasted 10 whole minutes of being bridezilla when i got married recently...only because stress built up...and then i was sooo excited about getting the photos done, i almost passed out because it was a huge relief - gosh us woman are so damn silly! LOL

VanceW
209 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 11, 2006 23:22 |  #15

gosh us woman are so damn silly! LOL

Okay guys, remember that she said it first. :D

Vance White
30D(new)10D
17-40mm f4/L 28-135mm IS 70-200mm f4/L
400mm 5.6/L and a whole bag of extra goodies.

My humble spot on the big ole web.
http://www.vancewhitep​hotography.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,723 views & 0 likes for this thread
A no frills wedding?!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.