Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Apr 2014 (Friday) 05:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which entry level camera - Canon, Nikon or Sony

ssmanak
438 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 04, 2014 05:12 |  #1

I will like to buy a dslr with kit lens for my son as my retirement gift for him. After graduation he is trainee with an IT company. When asked about his views, he said camera is not on his priority list as mobile is good enough. I feel he should develop some creative hobby.

Since smaller sensor interchaingable lens cameras are as costly as apsc sensor entry level cameras, I will like to consider one with apsc size sensor.

I am thinking of canon 1200 vs nikon 3300 vs sony mirrorless. Which one of these is better overall.

ss.manak
EOS 6D ii, Canon 24-105f4 L ii, Canon 50 f1.4, Tamron 100-400 f4.5-6.3 VC, Canon 430EX ii, Canon 270 exii

sponsored links
Mathmans
303 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 04, 2014 05:39 |  #2

I can not give comment about Canon and Sony cameras because I don't know them but I can say something about Nikon - if you decide to go with Nikon save money and go for D3200. It will give you the same photo quality and practically same functions for less money. D5200 would also be a good option for the same photo quality.
Regards

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 04, 2014 05:51 as a reply to  @ Mathmans's post |  #3

I think you should listen to your son. He's an IT guy so he knows the technology that are out there. So when he says he's happy with a mobile. I suspect if you give him one of these cameras, it might just gather dust. If he's like my nephews. They are more happy with a goPro than any cameras that are out there.... go figure :D

just my 2 cents

Jun.Roberto.Dizon.Greg​orio
My Photographic Gears.

I Like Shooting Animals Than People.

James ­ P
Goldmember
1,900 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 04, 2014 06:36 |  #4

Canajun wrote in post #16808915 (external link)
I think you should listen to your son. He's an IT guy so he knows the technology that are out there. So when he says he's happy with a mobile. I suspect if you give him one of these cameras, it might just gather dust. If he's like my nephews. They are more happy with a goPro than any cameras that are out there.... go figure :D

just my 2 cents

I agree. From my own experience, when somebody says they don't want something, they usually mean it.

1Dx - 5DIII - 40D - Canon 24-70LII, 100L macro, 135L, 16-35L, 70-200 f4 and 100-400L lenses

- "Very good" is the enemy of "great." Sometimes we confuse the two.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 04, 2014 09:15 |  #5

James P wrote in post #16808959 (external link)
I agree. From my own experience, when somebody says they don't want something, they usually mean it.

Also agree. Don't waste your money.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

jefzor
788 posts
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 04, 2014 09:29 |  #6

Sirrith wrote in post #16809230 (external link)
Also agree. Don't waste your money.

Thirded, if he says he doesn't want it, he probably won't use it.

But IF you decide to do it anyway, then Nikon is probably the way to go.

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

ssmanak
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 04, 2014 11:11 |  #7

I feel the young man should develop a hobby other than reading books. So that when he reaches my age he would have some passion to spend time with. Off course my first camera is gathering dust with my daughter...... but one day she may....

ss.manak
EOS 6D ii, Canon 24-105f4 L ii, Canon 50 f1.4, Tamron 100-400 f4.5-6.3 VC, Canon 430EX ii, Canon 270 exii

omer
Goldmember
1,174 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 04, 2014 13:33 as a reply to  @ ssmanak's post |  #8

Canon is more user friendly (Q mode & touch screen ) and better ergonomics
he may like it better - as for IQ they are all excellent

80D | 7D | M6 | 15-85 | 70-300 L | Sig 10-20 | 50 1.8 |100 2.8 macro|28 F2.8 | efs24| efm 15-45| efs 55-250 stm |270EX | 430EXII |

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,539 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 04, 2014 13:37 |  #9

ssmanak wrote in post #16809510 (external link)
I feel the young man should develop a hobby other than reading books. So that when he reaches my age he would have some passion to spend time with. Off course my first camera is gathering dust with my daughter...... but one day she may....

I can appreciate that, but you can't really force a hobby on someone. My father has been doing photography professionally for my whole life, he gave my brother a XSi when he finished highschool, he pretty much never used it. He then gave me a 20D when I started to take an interest in photography in highschool and I used it occasionally, but never really got into it for years, it basically collected dust. It wasn't until it got stolen that I realized I missed it and bought my own camera, then my hobby became a part of my life. My brother still never uses his Canon gear.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

RWK
207 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 04, 2014 14:15 as a reply to  @ EverydayGetaway's post |  #10

My parents bought me cameras when I was a teenager. They were birthday gifts & Christmas gifts. I used them on trips & eventually quit using them. I worked in the dark room at the high school. Had a blast.

I got back into cameras when I started a family.

If you bought a camera, it might sit around for awhile & be outdated when he gets the shutterbug.

Rebel T4i 18-55 IS Kit Lens :cool:
Rebel XT Kit Lens
EF-S 17-85
EF 50 1.8
EF 70-300
EF-S 18-135 STM

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 04, 2014 14:18 |  #11

Give him ca$h. He'll appreciate that more.

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 04, 2014 16:39 |  #12

i bought 60D with most EF-S lenses for my big son
then he shot 10 photos and he gave me back all the gear
i used them and i sold them at last
i bought for the younger 550D and the same story , i used it and sold it
i bought nikon D5200 for my Daughter with the kit lens and now she is better than me in photography LoL
so don't spend your money if he don't want a camera

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,225 posts
Gallery: 1647 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 04, 2014 17:57 |  #13

Heya,

Buying an electronic with the thought of developing a passion for when he reaches your age for a hobby that he has no interest in, is why this is a bad idea.

Talk to your son. Find out what he is into, what he thinks is an interesting, creative hobby that can be life long. And invest in that. Not what you want.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 04, 2014 19:15 |  #14

ssmanak wrote in post #16809510 (external link)

The young man should develop whatever hobby he wants, not what his father wants.

Something which he only does because you want him to is not a hobby, and he will not do it when you aren't around pushing him to.

Perhaps instead, you could give him cash on the condition that he spend it doing something which he has wanted to do or try for a while now, or that he thinks he may be interested in but has never had the opportunity to do.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 04, 2014 20:22 |  #15

Nikon is a good choice. Sony was having dome problems with their shutters, don't know if its been fixed.

sponsored links

3,646 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which entry level camera - Canon, Nikon or Sony
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.