Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Apr 2014 (Saturday) 05:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon camera cleaning frequency

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 05, 2014 05:21 |  #1

I have a 60D with around 15,000 shots on it. I have cleaned the sensor once using the copperhill method and it worked fine.

How frequently should one have their camera professionally cleaned?

I do not want to use a local camera shot for cleaning. That local shop recommended a professional cleaning every two years regardless of shutter clicks.

What is the common thought on professional cleaning frequency?

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,997 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 05, 2014 05:37 |  #2

Using the onboard cleaning coupled with periodic uses of a blower, you shouldnt have to worry about a schedule, only clean when the first two methods aren't doing their job and your photos are impacted by sensor dirt.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 05, 2014 07:41 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #3

I've been shooting with DSLRs for 10 years now, my oldest one still in use is about 9 years old now, with well over 100,000 clicks on it. So far, none of my DSLRs have ever been professionally cleaned.

As said above, if it needs it and you can't do it yourself then send it in, there is no need to have a schedule. It's not like doing an annual service on your car.

Catherine4
36 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 05, 2014 08:20 |  #4

CPS Plans make cleaning cheap and easy!

http://www.cps.usa.can​on.com/about_cps/about​.shtml (external link)

DAA
315 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 05, 2014 08:49 |  #5

I have my 60D cleaned whenever it gets enough dust bunnies on the sensor that I start thinking about what a PITA spot removal is going to be every time I take a shot with a lot of blue sky in it.

And how often that happens just depends on where the camera travels and gets used. It went over a year before the first need for cleaning. Most recently, it got dirty enough in just four days being carried around in Canyonlands that I'm going to have it cleaned.

I'd be comfortable doing it myself, but I use a local outfit, they charge about $30 and do a fantastic job inside and out.

- DAA

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
7,951 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 05, 2014 08:57 |  #6

Catherine4 wrote in post #16811404 (external link)
CPS Plans make cleaning cheap and easy!

http://www.cps.usa.can​on.com/about_cps/about​.shtml (external link)

Isn't CPS only for people who make there living from photography?

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

Catherine4
36 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 05, 2014 09:09 |  #7

This is the plan I have and a few friends that only shoot for hobby.

Gold Membership offers the seasoned imaging professional support for virtually every technical and creative issue that may arise. Whether you require live 24/7 emergency phone support, expedited repair and loaner coverage, on-site support at select events and shows, or the opportunity to evaluate the latest professional equipment, CPS Gold has you covered. Please see below for full details.
Membership is available to individuals (self-employed or employed with a professional imaging company) who play a direct role in the creation of moving or still images on a full-time basis. Applicants must meet Canon equipment requirements to enroll. The fee for CPS Gold membership is $100 annually.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 05, 2014 11:33 |  #8

Catherine4 wrote in post #16811469 (external link)
This is the plan I have and a few friends that only shoot for hobby.

Gold Membership offers the seasoned imaging professional support for virtually every technical and creative issue that may arise. Whether you require live 24/7 emergency phone support, expedited repair and loaner coverage, on-site support at select events and shows, or the opportunity to evaluate the latest professional equipment, CPS Gold has you covered. Please see below for full details.
Membership is available to individuals (self-employed or employed with a professional imaging company) who play a direct role in the creation of moving or still images on a full-time basis. Applicants must meet Canon equipment requirements to enroll. The fee for CPS Gold membership is $100 annually.

Yes, but it IS supposed to be for professionals only. They may be more lax about checking professional credentials in the US than they are here in the UK, but you would still need to meet the minimum equipment requirements.

For an amateur to get in over here, they would have to make some false statements and come up with proof they are in business (website, business stationery etc) as well as having the qualifying equipment (here I think you need 2 pro bodies and 3 pro lenses, unless it has changed).

For somebody with just one body, a 60D like the OP, this is not a practical way to go to get your camera cleaned.

ERJL
384 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 05, 2014 11:47 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

viperbass wrote in post #16811224 (external link)
I have a 60D with around 15,000 shots on it. I have cleaned the sensor once using the copperhill method and it worked fine.

How frequently should one have their camera professionally cleaned?

I do not want to use a local camera shot for cleaning. That local shop recommended a professional cleaning every two years regardless of shutter clicks.

What is the common thought on professional cleaning frequency?

In my experience it depends on how you use it and the lens used.
Some lenses pump a lot of air while zooming, others not so much.
ff, seems to need more cleaning than crop (my 6D compared to Nik and Canon crop).
If you are not seeing little spots on you images then don't fret.

-ERJL

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 05, 2014 14:26 |  #10

Seems like I can't keep crap out of my viewfinders. I have issues on FF w/ that.

I'm signing up for CPS gold so I can send my body off every 6 months and get that problem corrected.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

ERJL
384 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 05, 2014 17:24 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Talley wrote in post #16811945 (external link)
Seems like I can't keep crap out of my viewfinders. I have issues on FF w/ that.

I'm signing up for CPS gold so I can send my body off every 6 months and get that problem corrected.

The only time I had debris in my viewfinder was from improper cleaning (dealer).

-ERJL

ra40
848 posts
Gallery: 341 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 05, 2014 18:04 as a reply to  @ ERJL's post |  #12

Only when you cannot remove a sufficient amount DIY and a service center -might- do this better.

Some environments can be problematic though. Applying various tips to reduce dust migrating into the sensor area are ways to minimize spotty issues. That said, the only time the sensor in one of my cameras was cleaned was when the 5D-C went in for the mirror recall.

I seldom shoot at f11+ where it becomes more obvious on even tone areas of a frame. At f4-8 anything that shows up is easily cloned/healed out and pretty soft.

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,520 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 05, 2014 20:00 |  #13

Clean it whenever it is dirty. It's easy enough to tell, just shoot the sky fully stopped down and defocused. Pull the image into photoshop and enhance contrast or levels to the max to make the dirt and dust pop out of the background.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 07, 2014 03:46 |  #14

There's no way I'd let a professional (aka the spotty child who works Saturdays in the local camera shop) try cleaning my sensor.

TeamSpeed has it right - use the in-built cleaning and squirt with a rocket blower every now and then. The night before you do a shoot that requires narrow apertures (f/13 or smaller) check for dust (shoot a bightly lit white wall at f/22 and 1s move the camera around during the exposure). If there's too much then do a wet clean (or use a LensPen SensorKlean).

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,997 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 07, 2014 12:15 |  #15

sandpiper wrote in post #16811700 (external link)
For somebody with just one body, a 60D like the OP, this is not a practical way to go to get your camera cleaned.

It would be a whole lot cheaper just sending the camera every 2 years to Canon for the $49 fee to clean the 60D sensor, IMO than to join CPS.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

2,724 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon camera cleaning frequency
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.