Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 09 Apr 2014 (Wednesday) 09:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Disc Golf Shots

slkfis
85 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 09, 2014 09:23 |  #1

I recently started shooting disc golf for some friends and have encountered some problems.

The courses in our area are very wooded so I have sun light filtering through trees and lots of shadows. I continually fight exposure problems.

I shoot with a 40d using 70-200mm 2.8 L lens AV priority 99% of the time. Does anyone else shot disc golf or have any suggestions on exposure in these conditions.

thxs
Bob

Canon 40D
28-135 KIt --- 70-200mm IS 2.8
As I learn to add, I will!

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 09, 2014 15:14 |  #2

slkfis wrote in post #16821103 (external link)
I recently started shooting disc golf for some friends and have encountered some problems.

The courses in our area are very wooded so I have sun light filtering through trees and lots of shadows. I continually fight exposure problems.

I shoot with a 40d using 70-200mm 2.8 L lens AV priority 99% of the time. Does anyone else shot disc golf or have any suggestions on exposure in these conditions.

thxs
Bob

One potentially useful approach is already on your camera. Give the Program AE auto exposure setting a try. Using that setting upsets those who insist on absolute instant-to-instant control of their cameras, but it can work well.

Actual examples of Program AE in use on a day with variable high clouds that constantly moved between the sun and the subjects.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …1024a0018_zpsfd​1f6f97.jpg (external link)

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Image Date: 2010-10-24 11:29:01 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 141.0mm
Aperture: f/8.0
Exposure Time: 0.0031 s (1/320)
ISO equiv: 400
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: program (Auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …1024a0024_zps77​2ec8d1.jpg (external link)

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Image Date: 2010-10-24 11:29:20 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 100.0mm
Aperture: f/11.0
Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
ISO equiv: 400
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: program (Auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

The results shown above came from an older camera, an XTi, but the camera still delivered correct exposure when the lighting drastically changed from shot to shot.

Now, with a more sedate event such as disc golf, there's an option of using a incident meter to get fresh readings as play moves from sun to shadow. However, Program AE, possibly assisted with spot or partial metering deserves a try in variable outdoor lighting.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,683 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 09, 2014 15:24 |  #3

slkfis wrote in post #16821103 (external link)

thxs
Bob

Is it a metering problem, or a lighting problem? While metering is a challenge, you can probably chimp or spot meter to get in the ballpark. But if you have dappled light you sort of have to pick whether you want to expose for the highlights, or the shadows. No matter how well you meter it, you cant even out light that has a large disparity from bright to dark, probably more than the sensor in your camera can handle. Fill flash might be an answer for you.

slkfis
THREAD ­ STARTER
85 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 12, 2014 20:21 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #4

I certainly appreciate the replies and each offer some good suggestions. I will do the next event in 2 weeks and try them out. I'll get back on the results.

Thank you very much for the replies.

Bob

Canon 40D
28-135 KIt --- 70-200mm IS 2.8
As I learn to add, I will!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

909 views & 0 likes for this thread
Disc Golf Shots
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.