Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Apr 2014 (Thursday) 04:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70D's Unpredictable Behavior

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 10, 2014 04:58 |  #1

Hi guys...

Just wanted to share what I have been experiencing with my 70D... Since I purchased this body, I have been getting inconsistent focusing with f4 and narrower so I limit myself in using 5.6 and abve to get the sharpness I want.

Recently, I encountered an ERR 01 notice and after re starting my camera, everything is sharp but for a period of time only, may I say after 20 - 25 shots the problem gets back. Again i have been very curious about it. Last 2 days ago, I opened my front elements (24 -105) and noticed the six screws of the lens a bit loose, I tightened them up correctly after cleaning the glasses.

Made some shots and there was a big difference, it became consistent (up to this moment) in its sharpness.. I get 8 out of 10 rate in hand held shots compared to 2 out of 10 before. But I am not saying that I was able to fix the problem though, I will still observe for weeks or maybe months... I will post some shots if it did not revert to its previous state.

I want to hear your point of view about this, Does what I stated can really affect the camera's performance? Hope you'll have time in sharing your thoughts folks. Thank in advance.:)

sponsored links
jaomul
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 10, 2014 05:04 |  #2

Is the problem just with one lens

flickr (external link)
Olympus EM5,Nikon d7200,
Olympus 12-50mm, 40-150mm,17mm f2.8,Nikon 50mm F1.8, Tamron 90mm vc, 18-105mmVR, Sigma 18-35 f1.8

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,860 posts
Joined May 2003

Apr 10, 2014 06:12 |  #3

Not sure what six screws you tightened but it is conceivable that a loose element or elements could affect focus. More importantly, as jaomul has asked, has this happened with other lenses? Did you also have a UV filter on the lens which may now be off due to its removal during the repair process?

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 10, 2014 06:14 |  #4

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1354075
Add yourself to this list. Also, sounds like you may have other problems on top of that.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 10, 2014 06:15 |  #5

I'm starting to seriously think the 70d has some serious design flaws or qc issues.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 10, 2014 06:38 |  #6

Frodge wrote in post #16823207 (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1354075
Add yourself to this list. Also, sounds like you may have other problems on top of that.

Frodge wrote in post #16823208 (external link)
I'm starting to seriously think the 70d has some serious design flaws or qc issues.

I think you are looking for examples of that issue and seeing things that have nothing to do with it. I don't see how it is relevant here.

Firstly, that is all about issues when shooting wider than f/2.8 yet the lens the OP mentions is wide open at f/4 so this is clearly not such a case.

In addition, the OP mentions err code 01, which is a lens communication error, nothing to do with focusing directly. Plus, when the OP did a fix ON THE LENS, the problem seems to have cleared up. Yet, somehow you are blaming this on a 70D design fault?

If it was the 70D at fault, what was done to the lens would not have solved the problem.

I am not saying that the issue with the 70D, in general, doesn't exist. I have no evidence either way. However, the more people try and prove the case by pointing the finger at every incident which involves a 70D and screaming "design fault", when it seems to be a fault that lies elsewhere (in this case, loose screws in the lens) the weaker they make their case. It starts to seem like a witchhunt where evidence is used that is not real evidence. Once I see someone pointing at clearly irrelevant cases, I start to doubt the ones that seem relevant, as they may also have bias applied.

Hopefully, the fix is permanent and does not reoccur at a later date.

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 10, 2014 19:39 |  #7

John from PA wrote in post #16823204 (external link)
Not sure what six screws you tightened but it is conceivable that a loose element or elements could affect focus. More importantly, as jaomul has asked, has this happened with other lenses? Did you also have a UV filter on the lens which may now be off due to its removal during the repair process?

The screws I mentioned are the ones holding the front element of the 24 105 to the main barrel. With the other lenses, my 70D is fine with my 70-300 non L lens. But with the nifty fifty, its way off at 1.8... But still cant prove that its the camera because of the nifty's not so good precision in focusing.

For now, im getting good results with the 24 105 and I hope its permanent. What I am puzzled with is the ERR 01. I was able to clear this up by toggling the AF switch of the lens. Then, the first shot after clearing the ERR 01 is very (as in very) blurred, the second shot is pretty sharp upto at least 20 - 25 shots. Encountered the ERR for 4 times already with the 24 105 and I started to think that the lens has issues. the reason why I opened up the front elements. I do not use a filter.

mld321
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Apr 10, 2014 20:21 |  #8

The issue you described has nothing to do with the camera body. Think about it.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,659 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 10, 2014 21:02 |  #9

Really sounds like the lens is the issue from this perspective.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 10, 2014 23:55 |  #10

mld321 wrote in post #16824979 (external link)
The issue you described has nothing to do with the camera body. Think about it.

That's the way it looks like, but what confuses and doubt my 70d is my 24-105 performs well with my 500d body even before I opened it. I am speculating that it maybe the combination of the 70D with my 24 105. I'm not really sure about this though. Maybe I accidentally adjusted the distance of the lens' front element to comply with my 70d's tolerance or something, again, everything is my speculation only. :confused:

Keith ­ R
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 11, 2014 14:35 |  #11

Frodge wrote in post #16823208 (external link)

So in other words, you're ignoring the ton of positive feedback about it and taking notice only of the occasional complaint, even when the problem isn't with the camera?

That's some pretty selective reading you've got going on there. And you're doing yourself no favours.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Apr 11, 2014 14:49 |  #12

When I ordered my 70D, I was nervous because of the reports of focusing issues. I knew it was only a minority of cameras that had issues but I was still nervous.

When mine arrived, the first thing I did was put on my new 35 f/2 and shoot several shots, wide open. The focus was crystal clear and I sighed a sigh of relief.

That being said, I don't think people are fabricating these issues and I hope Canon gets it sorted out sooner rather than later.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 12, 2014 18:21 |  #13

Update.. CAmera and lens is still doing great. Im starting to feel happy and surpass my worries about the 70D issue. But I get blurred pictures on moving subject, definitely human error. Could someone teach me on this? Lets say, a model walking down the ramp. Im still in the stage of learning and adapting a mid level camera to a situation like this but have no problem with studio shots. I use AI FOCUS, aperture usually wide open at f4, shutter not faster than 250, ambient lighting only (sometimes I use 430 eX II if needed), ISO not higher than 1600.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,860 posts
Joined May 2003

Apr 12, 2014 19:40 |  #14

Some similarities exist in focusing systems across the entire Canon line. Go to the thread at https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1371524 and then check the link in entry #3. Excellect tutorial by Canon of Europe.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 12, 2014 20:09 |  #15

Jiggo0109 wrote in post #16829061 (external link)
Update.. CAmera and lens is still doing great. Im starting to feel happy and surpass my worries about the 70D issue. But I get blurred pictures on moving subject, definitely human error. Could someone teach me on this? Lets say, a model walking down the ramp. Im still in the stage of learning and adapting a mid level camera to a situation like this but have no problem with studio shots. I use AI FOCUS, aperture usually wide open at f4, shutter not faster than 250, ambient lighting only (sometimes I use 430 eX II if needed), ISO not higher than 1600.

Okay, first off do not use AI FOCUS. It is an auto setting that tries to decide which mode the camera should be in. The model is walking, so you know that you need AI servo to track the movement. Set it yourself rather than using AI focus and hoping the camera picks servo and not one-shot.

You may need faster shutter speeds than 1/250th to stop the motion of the mdoel altogether (and you say "not faster than" which to me suggests "often slower than" 1/250th). You may need to raise the ISO a bit and use a faster shutter speed to freeze the model completely. Alternatively you could use the flash as the primary light source and that will stop the motion blur due to the short duration of the flash (as with your studio shots). The third option is to buy a faster lens, such as an f/1.8 prime. You lose some versatility with the focal length, but gain over two stops of aperture so your shutter speeds can be faster and your ISO can maybe come down a bit too.

It may also be your panning technique. It doesn't need to be great technique at 1/250th, but the more accurately you can follow the models movements the less camera movement will be visible. A good solid stance, elbows tucked in, swivelling at the hips and controlled breathing as you gently squeeze the shutter release can all help reduce softness and blur due to movement of the camera.

sponsored links

1,708 views & 0 likes for this thread
70D's Unpredictable Behavior
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.