Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Apr 2014 (Friday) 02:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM (Art) is finally here!

sgtbueno
807 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 11, 2014 06:16 |  #16

I can't never understand why some people get so mad when a new lens is out, this only benefits all of us, it's competition, meaning that it'll be more than one player offering quality gear for us and that could drop the price of gear.
If you dont like it, dont buy t, no need to get upset of to make fun of anybody, if you like your 50L just continue using it.

Wedding Photography by Felix Bueno Photography (external link) -- Facebook (external link)
1x Canon 5DIII - 2X Canon 5D Mark II - Sigma 35 1.4 - Sigma 50 1.4 - Sigma 85 1.4 - Canon 85 1.2 - Canon 100L IS - Canon 135L F2 - Canon 16-35L II - Canon 70-200 2.8 II IS - 6X YN600EX-RT -Canon 580EX II X 2- Canon 430EX II X3- Yongnuo YN-565EX - and tons of Radio Poppers :)

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 11, 2014 06:20 |  #17

Invertalon wrote in post #16825740 (external link)
Damn... If only Sigma can stop the crazy AF shift in artificial light. That was the ONLY flaw of the 35 art, but enough that it has put a sour enough taste in my mouth from trying another (I tried two), until I hear otherwise. And I have read a few recent reviews still talking about that issue on brand new 35's... So I guess it has not been fixed/solved yet.

Bummer... Because this 50 looks like it will be so good.

All lenses have that issue to an extent.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

newmandoyle
120 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 11, 2014 06:22 as a reply to  @ post 16825740 |  #18

Just pre-ordered:)

5D3 |16-35L|24-70Lii|70-200Lii|Σ50A|100-400Lii
EOS M|m22|m15-85|

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 11, 2014 06:27 |  #19

Sirrith wrote in post #16825745 (external link)
All lenses have that issue to an extent.

To an extent, yes... Not like the Sigma.

I have never seen it occur like the Sigma 35 did... My 35L, 135L, 85L, etc... When I have owned them performed just fine in all lighting types. Sure, there may be very slight shifts (if you check MA), but the image was still sharp.

The Sigma 35 though went suck-fest going from outdoors to the indoors. Something like +/- 10 MA units which is significant. So if you did not adjust, all your images were completely OOF. No Canon lens I have used has done that.

That is the sad part though... If they fix that, I would be ALL over these new Sigma offerings. I am a huge fan of the Sigma 35 and would love to own it over the 35L, but the 35L is just better when you need to rely on the equipment in all lighting types. And if you search, the Sigma 35 is still having these issues on brand new units. I read a few recently on FM I believe, so it is still yet to be fixed. I personally think it may have to do with the lens coatings used or something and the light coming through the lens to the AF sensor. Just my theory!

Aside from that though, the Sigma 35 was quick to AF and the IQ was stunning. No doubt about that. Outdoors, it was extremely accurate and no issues at all. 0MA near to far.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 11, 2014 06:33 |  #20

sgtbueno wrote in post #16825743 (external link)
I can't never understand why some people get so mad when a new lens is out, this only benefits all of us, it's competition, meaning that it'll be more than one player offering quality gear for us and that could drop the price of gear.
If you dont like it, don't buy it, no need to get upset of to make fun of anybody, if you like your 50L just continue using it.

^ I could not agree more. I have only used my 50 1.4, I just ordered a 50L yesterday, and of course no one has tried the unreleased Sigma 50mm.

While I do enjoy learn-from and reading official test review of products, I take their info with a grain of salt.
Many reviews and users seem to hate the bokeh on the 50 1.4. For me this was a huge set 'up' in DOF compared to my kit lens.
It taught me a lot about controlling my Aperture and Shutter Speed with hands on experience by shooting wide open.
I look forward to shooting it wide open, and hope that the bokeh on my 50L is even better.

I fully support Sigma's new lens in the marketplace and look forward to it.
I do not belong to an " L Camp" or a "Sigma Camp"
After seeing many real world photos, as well as reviews, I think the Sigma 35 Art gives the 35L a run for it's money.
I hope it gives the Canon 50L a run for its money and forces Canon to make a 50L II :)

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

Frol
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 11, 2014 06:33 |  #21

Price appeared on official site
http://www.sigmaphoto.​com …-dg-hsm-a?link=apr-t-50mm (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 11, 2014 06:37 |  #22

Invertalon wrote in post #16825751 (external link)
I personally think it may have to do with the lens coatings used or something and the light coming through the lens to the AF sensor. Just my theory!

If that was the case, wouldn't it affect all their lenses equally? Mine does not have any noticeable issue.

Interestingly, although the MSRP of the 50 1.4 is $1300, it costs more than the 35 1.4 which has an MSRP of $1400.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 11, 2014 06:42 |  #23

Sirrith wrote in post #16825763 (external link)
If that was the case, wouldn't it affect all their lenses equally? Mine does not have any noticeable issue.

I would think so, yes... But it is just strange so many people report this issue, it really is not isolated. I went through (2) copies when it first came out and I still see reports today about the AF issue. It is not just varying values with distance, but strictly on lighting type.

Not sure though... It is strange. I keep debating on trying one more someday, but I keep reading reports of it happening and it makes me put it off. My problem is that I use the 35 quite a bit for work under stage lighting, which would make the Sigma completely freak out. That is why I have stuck with the 35L, even if the optical performance is not as good. Every other thing about the Sigma is better, though. It is just that AF shift...

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,037 posts
Gallery: 592 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 11, 2014 06:57 |  #24

Invertalon wrote in post #16825751 (external link)
To an extent, yes... Not like the Sigma.

I have never seen it occur like the Sigma 35 did... My 35L, 135L, 85L, etc... When I have owned them performed just fine in all lighting types. Sure, there may be very slight shifts (if you check MA), but the image was still sharp.

The Sigma 35 though went suck-fest going from outdoors to the indoors. Something like +/- 10 MA units which is significant. So if you did not adjust, all your images were completely OOF. No Canon lens I have used has done that.

That is the sad part though... If they fix that, I would be ALL over these new Sigma offerings. I am a huge fan of the Sigma 35 and would love to own it over the 35L, but the 35L is just better when you need to rely on the equipment in all lighting types. And if you search, the Sigma 35 is still having these issues on brand new units. I read a few recently on FM I believe, so it is still yet to be fixed. I personally think it may have to do with the lens coatings used or something and the light coming through the lens to the AF sensor. Just my theory!

Aside from that though, the Sigma 35 was quick to AF and the IQ was stunning. No doubt about that. Outdoors, it was extremely accurate and no issues at all. 0MA near to far.

Maybe one future feature that could help is being able to assign a AFMA setting to a specific white balance, that could help solve the issue. I got no idea if that would be possible but would certainly help.

I think I'm going to stick with my current Sigma 50 1.4, since getting the 35 F2 IS I don't use my 50 as much so spending $900 on another 50 wouldn't be a good idea for me. The price is great though!

Sony Alpha A7III - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS -
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 11, 2014 07:10 |  #25

The price is fantastic! I am so tempted to pre-order one but I am just so worried after my experience with the 35, sadly.

Maybe longer focal lengths won't have the same issue? Who knows... But under $1,000 for zeiss like IQ with AF (even if temperamental) is a hell of a bargain. SLR gear shows the sharpness charts for both the zeiss/sigma, and it is *very* close. Pretty impressive.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 11, 2014 07:21 |  #26

Invertalon wrote in post #16825768 (external link)
I would think so, yes... But it is just strange so many people report this issue, it really is not isolated.

I've read quite a lot of customer reviews on retail sites and on blogs etc... and don't recall seeing this issue mentioned anywhere but on here by yourself and someone else.

But either way, no one has come across this issue with the 50 yet, so it is irrelevant for now.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 11, 2014 07:30 |  #27

Sirrith wrote in post #16825820 (external link)
I've read quite a lot of customer reviews on retail sites and on blogs etc... and don't recall seeing this issue mentioned anywhere but on here by yourself and someone else.

But either way, no one has come across this issue with the 50 yet, so it is irrelevant for now.

I can find you some... Sit tight. :lol:

EDIT:

http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/12380​44 (external link)

https://photography-on-the.net …ad.php?t=122912​2&page=207 (post 3553)

https://photography-on-the.net …t=artificial#po​st15528775 (post 1348, someone sharing his identical issue with something I had posted)

https://photography-on-the.net …t=artificial#po​st15496725 (post 1155)

But hey, maybe it is more isolated. I see people also have no issues, so maybe there is hope. I may just have to try one again and see (35 or 50, once reviews flow in).

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

villean
25 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 11, 2014 07:37 |  #28

http://www.digifotopro​.nl …igma-50mm-f-14-dg-hsm-art (external link)

It's in dutch but you can download the samples full size jpg

Canon 5DIII | Canon 14L | Canon 35L | Canon 50L | Canon 100Macro | Canon 70-200L II | Sigma 85 | Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT | 2x Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT

sgtbueno
807 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 11, 2014 07:43 |  #29

I have the 35 and I dont have that issue, I love my copy.

Wedding Photography by Felix Bueno Photography (external link) -- Facebook (external link)
1x Canon 5DIII - 2X Canon 5D Mark II - Sigma 35 1.4 - Sigma 50 1.4 - Sigma 85 1.4 - Canon 85 1.2 - Canon 100L IS - Canon 135L F2 - Canon 16-35L II - Canon 70-200 2.8 II IS - 6X YN600EX-RT -Canon 580EX II X 2- Canon 430EX II X3- Yongnuo YN-565EX - and tons of Radio Poppers :)

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 11, 2014 08:25 |  #30

sgtbueno wrote in post #16825849 (external link)
I have the 35 and I dont have that issue, I love my copy.

It is tempting to try another. Maybe they had some batch issues or something causing it. It may be worth a try... But I may wait to see how the 50 does first, and decide between them.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

176,924 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM (Art) is finally here!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.