Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 11 Apr 2014 (Friday) 07:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have you ever traveled with someone who doesn't "appreciate" photography?

sharod
633 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 11, 2014 07:28 |  #1

Hubby and I enjoy traveling with our best friends, another husband/wife. They are a lot of fun and we have a great time. Cruising, motorcycle vacations, etc. I am just an amateur hobbyist, but it is what I truly enjoy :D

The thing is, the husband is impatient when it comes to picture taking. He doesn't like to take the time to take a picture. Now, he has never said anything to me, but often makes negative comments to his wife when she wants to take a picture, or have a picture taken of the both of them. My husband thouroughly supports me and the fact that I enjoy photography!!! He announces when a new catalog comes in the mail. He supports any purchases I make, and the time I take waiting for the perfect shot. He's always asking me how far along I am in making my photo books, which I make after each "bigger" vacation. Yes, I have a keeper!!!!

I am not posting this looking for any advise, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I can handle the "problem". I can either keep taking pictures and know that he is secretly annoyed, or travel without him and his wife. But maybe others that have been in this position can give me other ideas!!

Sharon
A camera didn't make a great picture anymore than a typewriter wrote a great novel.
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/slo103/

sponsored links
lilkngster
722 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 11, 2014 07:53 |  #2

My wife appreciates the photographs, not always the photography part, especially when I am using manual focus. She is becoming more patient as the results (the number of FB likes on her page) speak for themselves! The thing is, she could care less what other people would do with their cameras. She did hate it when we would talk shop.

Maybe he doesnt care what you do, and its only an "issue" with his wife. If you dont want to find out, I would keep shooting and let them decide if they want to travel with you or not.

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,331 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Apr 11, 2014 07:55 |  #3

Yes. My ex-wife.

The thing is, when you've captured a moment, it becomes more significant with time. Nobody remembers the amount of time you spent getting it right. Too bad the impatient folk don't get that.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

sharod
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 11, 2014 08:05 |  #4

lilkngster wrote in post #16825862 (external link)
Maybe he doesnt care what you do, and its only an "issue" with his wife. If you dont want to find out, I would keep shooting and let them decide if they want to travel with you or not.

I would guess not just with his wife. He definitely puts off a vibe, you can just feel it. Trust me. It's there.

joedlh wrote in post #16825864 (external link)
Yes. My ex-wife.

The thing is, when you've captured a moment, it becomes more significant with time. Nobody remembers the amount of time you spent getting it right. Too bad the impatient folk don't get that.

Exactly! At least from my POV :lol:

Sharon
A camera didn't make a great picture anymore than a typewriter wrote a great novel.
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/slo103/

Vetteography
Goldmember
2,032 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 11, 2014 08:28 |  #5

My wife was never bad about it, but never all that supportive either... at least until we bought a new house and started decorating.

She mentioned she was looking for a specific color combo in some art for one of the rooms, and it happens I had a shot that fit the bill. Printed and framed, she declared it perfect and the rest is history.

Now I have at least a dozen large prints of shots I have taken placed strategically around the house, and she has a list of locations or scenes she wants me to keep in mind.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 11, 2014 09:14 as a reply to  @ Vetteography's post |  #6

We have traveled with some friends a few times, and while all are ok with taking time for me to photograph (my wife and daughter are amazing at waiting around with me). My family enjoys hiking and when in a beautiful place we get up real early for sunrise and often stay out till sundown before returning to camp or the hotel. We have two sets of friends and we have found neither are the type to do these vacations with.

Neither like to be up for sunrise, and ones idea of a day long hike is nothing longer then 3 miles total. We now just do different vacations with them.

Finding the right people for the right vacations is very hard to do.

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 11, 2014 09:27 as a reply to  @ Littlejon Dsgn's post |  #7

My ex-husband wasn't accommodating when it came to my photography. It was a huge inconvenience to him, and he saw no value in it. I actually had to stop to try to keep the peace.

My (current) husband is an absolute darling when it comes to my photography. He's got more of my work on his Facebook than I do. He is incredibly supportive and patient: except with my failure to adorn our walls in photographs!

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,186 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 11, 2014 09:30 as a reply to  @ neacail's post |  #8

my wife doesnt care.. always complains when i want to buy something for my camera so havent bought anything for a while. big fight recently as i got a nice bonus from work and she ends up getting our yearly vacation. I didnt see a dime of it..

so recently when we go out.. she will say hey there will be nice picture opportunities or nice scenery, etc..
when we get there she is like... Where is your camera? I hand her, her iphone and say.. yup 8mp is just fine for this... so been taking my camera out less and less. shame.. shame shame... :mad:

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,397 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 11, 2014 09:33 |  #9

I've traveled with family members who were impatient with the time I spent taking a photo. Fortunately once they saw the results they came to understand the time invested bore fruit in the form of images they treasured enough to put on their wall. I also have to remind myself that some photo opportunities might not be worth the potential backlash. So I tend to try to work my hobby into the times when the light is good and skip the times when its mediocre.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 11, 2014 09:37 |  #10

gonzogolf wrote in post #16826086 (external link)
I've traveled with family members who were impatient with the time I spent taking a photo. Fortunately once they saw the results they came to understand the time invested bore fruit in the form of images they treasured enough to put on their wall. I also have to remind myself that some photo opportunities might not be worth the potential backlash. So I tend to try to work my hobby into the times when the light is good and skip the times when its mediocre.

I have started doing the same thing, when traveling along the coast I will shoot all morning but by 11 or so the camera is away till evening, thats when my girls drag me into every shop they can find lol.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,397 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 11, 2014 09:43 |  #11

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #16826094 (external link)
I have started doing the same thing, when traveling along the coast I will shoot all morning but by 11 or so the camera is away till evening, thats when my girls drag me into every shop they can find lol.

It really makes no sense to try to coax a good landscape out of even compelling scenery in the middle of a sunny day. When you get back home and look at it you wont be happy because you know its got hard shadows and/or dull or blown skies. Its a different matter perhaps if you do people photography, and there is nothing wrong with a midday snapshot of a notable bit of scenery either, but work fast and move on.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 11, 2014 09:46 |  #12

gonzogolf wrote in post #16826106 (external link)
It really makes no sense to try to coax a good landscape out of even compelling scenery in the middle of a sunny day. When you get back home and look at it you wont be happy because you know its got hard shadows and/or dull or blown skies. Its a different matter perhaps if you do people photography, and there is nothing wrong with a midday snapshot of a notable bit of scenery either, but work fast and move on.

I learned that after a trip full of mid day landscapes.

h2ofarmer
38 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 11, 2014 10:53 as a reply to  @ Littlejon Dsgn's post |  #13

Well in my case, if I am seen with my gear they know what to expect. While this may seem selfish to some, I consider impatience to be selfish as well.
Also I am a sculpture so my wife understands the benefits of patience!

Gear:
Canon EOS 5D Mark III .... Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,595 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2005

Apr 11, 2014 11:00 |  #14

Possibly but I don't know. If I have they have shown patience and understanding.

Sevas Tra

mark48
916 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 11, 2014 18:24 |  #15

For me, my photography is something I like to do alone. I may go on some outings with people from my camera club but I like being able to set my own time table and subjects. I get little support from the wife and can't enjoy myself while she's squirming around in the car waiting for me.

sponsored links

6,632 views & 0 likes for this thread
Have you ever traveled with someone who doesn't "appreciate" photography?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.