Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 11 Apr 2014 (Friday) 07:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have you ever traveled with someone who doesn't "appreciate" photography?

Gomar
531 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 23, 2014 18:30 as a reply to  @ post 16827167 |  #46

I have traveled on tours with people who take few if any at all photos of anything nor themselves anywhere. I ask why, they say I've been there and have a memory of it, no one will look at my photos, it's a waste of money and time, etc.
Ok, good reasons.

When people get divorced, does spending thousands on wedding photog seem like a waste? Do photos of the ex, their parents, go into trash?
Does anyone really need to keep photos of "friends" from Summer camp, High School, college from 25 years ago if you havent stayed in touch?

Why would anyone need to post on Flickr yet one more photo of the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, some flowers, their pets, or monkeys at the zoo?

sponsored links
sharod
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 23, 2014 19:19 |  #47

Gomar wrote in post #16856500 (external link)
I have traveled on tours with people who take few if any at all photos of anything nor themselves anywhere. I ask why, they say I've been there and have a memory of it, no one will look at my photos, it's a waste of money and time, etc.

Ok, could reasons. When people get divorced, does spending thousands on wedding photog seem like a waste? Do photos of the ex, their parents, go into trash?
Does anyone really need to keep photos of "friends" from Summer camp, High School, college from 25 years ago if you havent stayed in touch?

Why would anyone need to post on Flickr yet one more photo of the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, some flowers, their pets, or monkeys at the zoo?

I do understand why some people would look at it this way. BUT, I am not one of them ;)

I understand people get divorced. My hubby and I have both been married once before. Luckily for us, tomorrow is our 15th wedding anniversary, and we are as happy now as we have ever been!!! Every Christmas, Valentine's Day, birthday, etc., I always tell him, "no gifts, save it for our next vacation". And I truly mean it. Memories and experiences are so much more important to the both of us than just another material thing.

Every "big" vacation, I make photo books. It's not just for us, it's for our children. Eventually, we will not be here anymore. But these books are where our children can look back and see pictures of us and the things that we did. Heck, I frequently look at them and remember the fun we had! One day they will only have these books and pictures to remember us by.

And to look at my Flickr/Photobucket account, it's not very impressive. Mostly just the pics that I have posted to various forums. I am surely not out to impress anyone, and I think that I am successful with that ;) But what I have enjoyed about Flickr today, was showing my hubby all the wonderful sights out west when we do make it there!!! He was quite impressed by all the great geothermal pictures. I have been to Yellowstone numerous times, but this would be his first visit.

Anyways, today I did a little retail therapy!!! I have a Hoya PRO1 CPL on the way!!!!!

Sharon
A camera didn't make a great picture anymore than a typewriter wrote a great novel.
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/slo103/

sharod
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 05, 2014 10:33 as a reply to  @ sharod's post |  #48

OP here.....Made it out yesterday morning with my biggest fan, my husband!!! He originally wasn't going along, as it would have been the only morning that he would get to sleep in. Work mornings he is up by 2:50 a.m., so I understood. He changed his mind though, he didn't want the Confederates to get me ;)

Left our home at 5:15 to arrive at Antietam Battlefield at daybreak. What a wonderful, peaceful morning!!!

Here is one of my favorites. Taken at Bloody Lane. I did post a few others on Nature and Landscape forum.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7397/14114088934_73172b6187_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nvdo​UW  (external link) Bloody Lane early morning light (external link) by sharod1031 (external link), on Flickr

Sharon
A camera didn't make a great picture anymore than a typewriter wrote a great novel.

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,313 posts
Gallery: 793 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

May 05, 2014 10:36 |  #49

sharod wrote in post #16883383 (external link)
OP here.....Made it out yesterday morning with my biggest fan, my husband!!! He originally wasn't going along, as it would have been the only morning that he would get to sleep in. Work mornings he is up by 2:50 a.m., so I understood. He changed his mind though, he didn't want the Confederates to get me ;)

Left our home at 5:15 to arrive at Antietam Battlefield at daybreak. What a wonderful, peaceful morning!!!

Here is one of my favorites. Taken at Bloody Lane. I did post a few others on Nature and Landscape forum.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nvdo​UW  (external link) Bloody Lane early morning light (external link) by sharod1031 (external link), on Flickr

Very nice photo, hope to visit there one day. Yes it is good to have a partner that is an early riser if you are into the photo game.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,456 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Aug 2006

May 06, 2014 12:59 |  #50

With my girlfriend there's a line ... she's happy for me to take some photographs, but doesn't want that to become my/our sole focus and for me to spend more time with the camera photographing a sunset (for example) than watching it with her. This seems entirely reasonable.

| New website. (external link) |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

MidnightUK
160 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 06, 2014 14:43 |  #51

Well I have got fed up myself of waiting for very very fussy fellow photographers, but if you are not taking massive amounts of time for each shot, this is probabally not about photography at all.

Keep an eye out on the guys behaviour at other times. Does he expect to be the most important person, to make the most decisions, does he undermine his wife and other people at other times, often in quite small ways but frequently? If so then he is one of those people whose ego drives them to be the most important person all the time, often by shredding others conficence over the years.

If any of what I have written rings true for you then you have a choice. Do you want to submit to him or to battle it out? There are good and bad consequences to either action. It has to be said though that controlling people tend to get worse and worse the more they 'win'.

If you decide to hold your own and enjoy your photography, you will either have to continue as you are ignoring his comments or make a point at the beginning of each holiday or day to allocate some specific time where either you and your husband or just you by yourself spend time taking photos. Make sure this is seen as a strong positive assertive action and not as pandering to this guy. Maybe say you have decided to make a bigger commitment to your photos or something, so will be needing more time to spend on taking them.

There is no reason at all to spend every moment with people you holiday with - enjoy your time with them, but some time apart is healthy for all concerned and gives everyone a bit of 'me' time.

number ­ six
"After 40 [50] years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,950 posts
Joined May 2007

May 06, 2014 14:48 |  #52

Owain Shaw wrote in post #16886153 (external link)
With my girlfriend there's a line ... she's happy for me to take some photographs, but doesn't want that to become my/our sole focus and for me to spend more time with the camera photographing a sunset (for example) than watching it with her. This seems entirely reasonable.

IMAGE: http://strappe.smugmug.com/photos/i-KHBjjnD/0/S/i-KHBjjnD-S.gif

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,456 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Aug 2006

May 06, 2014 16:21 |  #53

number six wrote in post #16886382 (external link)
[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

:lol:

I think they're onto us ...

| New website. (external link) |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,955 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 19, 2014 20:29 as a reply to  @ Owain Shaw's post |  #54

This thread made me so happy.

I am not alone.:cry:

sharod
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 21, 2014 13:13 |  #55

Sibil wrote in post #16916008 (external link)

No, you are not.

Sharon

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 21, 2014 15:25 |  #56

Sibil wrote in post #16916008 (external link)

Bu tsome days it would be better if you were!

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,955 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 21, 2014 15:52 |  #57

20droger wrote in post #16920566 (external link)
Bu tsome days it would be better if you were!

Yupe.

sponsored links

6,641 views & 0 likes for this thread
Have you ever traveled with someone who doesn't "appreciate" photography?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.