Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 12 Apr 2014 (Saturday) 15:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Renowned Photographer Jeff Mitchum's Masterpiece "Third Day" Sells For $1.8 Million

this thread is locked
Dave ­ Weldon
491 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 12, 2014 15:34 |  #1

Howdy All,

Here's a link to one of the articles about the sale : http://finance.yahoo.c​om …asterpiece-140000742.html (external link)

My brother, who owns Weldon Color Lab, made and mounted the print :D.

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,323 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Apr 12, 2014 15:51 |  #2

Goes to show that technical and artistic perfection don't always equate with value. But being in the right place at the right time is priceless. If the image in the link is the one that sold for $1.8 million, if it were posted in the critique corner here, lots of folks would say that it was oversaturated and it was a mistake to have the horizon split it exactly in half.

It give me hope that some of my flawed images might one day sell for lots of money. :)

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

eriet30
Goldmember
2,482 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2011

Apr 12, 2014 21:57 as a reply to  @ joedlh's post |  #3

Agree!!

"Vision is the art of seeing that which is invisible"
http:// … flickr (external link) www.paulvanderveen.net (external link)

A9 / A7R4/A6000IR -CV10, Tam 17-28, Loxia 21, Tam 28-75, FE90, FE 100-400GM, Rok 8mm Fish, Sony 1.4x
Legacy Glass: Canon FD 55 1.2 / Jupiter 9 85mm 1.4 / Viv S1 90 2.5 macro

catclaw
344 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 12, 2014 23:25 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Even if they say it was over saturated it wouldn't matter. The photo was made on a 4 x 5 negative large format film.

TriExposure (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,498 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 12, 2014 23:49 as a reply to  @ catclaw's post |  #5

This may be an expensive photo, but these sold for even more...

http://freeyork.org …-photographs-in-the-world (external link)

$3.3 million for a shot taken inside a 99 cent store!

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

pixelbasher
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 13, 2014 00:03 |  #6

I have never "gotten" it. the 99 cent store is a classic example of why I don't. oh that's right, it's all about the "journey"

Good luck to anyone who can take a phtoto and earn that sort of coin though, but I'd probably argue that in most cases it isn't the photo, it's the name (although I wouldn't know any of those photogs from Adam) and the whole blah blah blah of the "journey" behind it that people seem to fall for.

Heck, i'd sit in a croc infested swamp for 4 months straight, get gangrene after a snake bite and have to cut my own leg off and feed on it because I didn't want to leave the spot until I got "the shot".......if I could sell it for a couple of mill! :rolleyes: :lol:

50D. 7D. 24-105L. 100-400L. 135L. 50 1.8 Sigma 8-16
flickr

catclaw
344 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 13, 2014 01:34 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #16829521 (external link)
This may be an expensive photo, but these sold for even more...

http://freeyork.org …-photographs-in-the-world (external link)

$3.3 million for a shot taken inside a 99 cent store!

I noticed that it was the same photographers that sell the images multiple times on that page.

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,498 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 13, 2014 02:02 |  #8

catclaw wrote in post #16829615 (external link)
I noticed that it was the same photographers that sell the images multiple times on that page.

Out of the 10 photos, Andreas Gursky sold 3 for a total of $10.5 million, and Cindy Sherman sold 2 for a total of $6.6 million. The other 5 were by different photographers.

It's a nice gig if you can get it. ;)

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 13, 2014 02:06 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

pixelbasher wrote in post #16829536 (external link)
I have never "gotten" it. the 99 cent store is a classic example of why I don't. oh that's right, it's all about the "journey"

Good luck to anyone who can take a phtoto and earn that sort of coin though, but I'd probably argue that in most cases it isn't the photo, it's the name (although I wouldn't know any of those photogs from Adam) and the whole blah blah blah of the "journey" behind it that people seem to fall for.

Heck, i'd sit in a croc infested swamp for 4 months straight, get gangrene after a snake bite and have to cut my own leg off and feed on it because I didn't want to leave the spot until I got "the shot".......if I could sell it for a couple of mill! :rolleyes: :lol:

I will be the first to say it....Ive seen more impressive, moving and artistic images by members here. Im going to be honest...that is ridiculous. Maybe Im not getting something but calling that pic a "masterpiece" is absurd. To top it of the tone and delivery by the photographer in the article is incredibly arrogant... This guy ego must be bigger than Mount Everest.

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

catclaw
344 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 13, 2014 03:32 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Brain Mechanic wrote in post #16829643 (external link)
I will be the first to say it....Ive seen more impressive, moving and artistic images by members here. Im going to be honest...that is ridiculous. Maybe Im not getting something but calling that pic a "masterpiece" is absurd. To top it of the tone and delivery by the photographer in the article is incredibly arrogant... This guy ego must be bigger than Mount Everest.

I suspect that these photographers in that article have somehow garnered the attention of some very wealthy circles. And it's probably friends, and friends of friends that keep buying the work of the same few photographers.

pixelbasher
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 13, 2014 04:16 |  #11

They have to wash the money somehow..... :p

50D. 7D. 24-105L. 100-400L. 135L. 50 1.8 Sigma 8-16
flickr

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,498 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 13, 2014 12:07 |  #12

catclaw wrote in post #16829695 (external link)
I suspect that these photographers in that article have somehow garnered the attention of some very wealthy circles. And it's probably friends, and friends of friends that keep buying the work of the same few photographers.

I wish for a friend like that. I'd sell one of my crummy flickr shots for 5 grand. :)

jerrybsmith
299 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 14, 2014 11:41 |  #13

I think the key to his success is in the details. If you read the article, it took him 15 years to finally get this spectacular image. You have to give him credit for envisioning the shot and the time and effort it took to finally get what he wanted. He deserves his fame and success.

www.jerrybsmith.com (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 14, 2014 12:21 |  #14

I suppose I could say it's taken me my entire life to get the shot I took today. ;)

I'm happy for the guy, he's made some money doing what he enjoys. It's hard to beat that.

benji25
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 14, 2014 12:21 |  #15

Brain Mechanic wrote in post #16829643 (external link)

I would imagine you would have to see it in person in order to understand. I am sure it was blown up huge and looks stunning. A 6 inch picture on a computer screen probably doesn't do it justice.

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

52,918 views & 0 likes for this thread
Renowned Photographer Jeff Mitchum's Masterpiece "Third Day" Sells For $1.8 Million
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.