Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 12 Apr 2014 (Saturday) 15:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Renowned Photographer Jeff Mitchum's Masterpiece "Third Day" Sells For $1.8 Million

this thread is locked
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,331 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 17, 2014 11:53 |  #136

Shadowblade wrote in post #16841071 (external link)
Art does nothing of the sort.

That's what documentaries, books and travelling are for.

Art is what you hang on the wall to decorate the place.

:lol::lol::lol: Ok there ya go.....:rolleyes:

I haven't read something this funny on POTN in a long time....

sponsored links
Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 17, 2014 11:54 |  #137

edge100 wrote in post #16841075 (external link)
What I'm saying is that the entire field of photojournalism and street photography - both with rich histories - have their genesis largely in the person of Henri Cartier-Bresson. They are what they are because of him.

And you know what, yes, there are elements of those genera that would not exist were it not for HCB.

And, outside of the aesthetic appeal of some street photographs, these fields have done precisely nothing to shape humanity.

If he had never existed, the same stories would still have been reported, the same news would still have come from the same places they actually did. Maybe the pictures accompanying those news stories would look slightly different, maybe not. But the actual events wouldn't have changed.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 17, 2014 11:56 |  #138

Shadowblade wrote in post #16841071 (external link)
Art does nothing of the sort.

That's what documentaries, books and travelling are for.

Art is what you hang on the wall to decorate the place.

You're obviously trolling at this point and I question if it was ever anything else, even from the beginning. If you can't see the significance in Bresson's work or any of the work of the great photographers from the past that have been mentioned in this thread, then I truly pity you. Photography has lost the storytelling aspect. It's all about the prettiest sunset or whatever. That's a fleeting significance, forgotten in a moment. The work that has been mentioned has a lasting impact.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 17, 2014 11:57 |  #139

Shadowblade wrote in post #16840908 (external link)
In other words, it's preaching to the choir.

The best part about Mona Lisa? To stand there and see a group of Japanese tourists run into that dark room. Hold their camera over their hand and get a quick snap and then run away. Not even noticing that they did run past Venus de Milo just because the mass psychosis did have them put all focus on seeing a dark painting from far too large distance before running - "just to have been there".

To much people agitate themselves into liking things just because it's a must. Not because they clear their mind and then try to make up their own decision "does this mean anything to me, personally?"

I prefer to first like something in a museum and then spend time learning more, than be stupid enough and have a large number of experts "teach me" what I'm expected to see and feel. That's like having someone else tell me if I should like a specific brand of candy or not.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 17, 2014 11:57 |  #140

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16841093 (external link)
:lol::lol::lol: Ok there ya go.....:rolleyes:

It's either a troll or complete ignorance. Either one is unfortunate.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 17, 2014 11:58 |  #141

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16841087 (external link)
Pride in ignorance is a plague on western society and if we are not careful could be our ultimate downfall as other cultures scramble to gain knowledge.

There's no useful knowledge in art.

If a piece of art is significant, it is for historic value (e.g. the first photograph, photos or paintings of significant historical figures) rather than for artistic value. Any relevant knowledge relating to a creative work is, therefore, relevant for its historical significance, not its artistic significance.

You could erase all art from the world and from human memory and human progress would be none the worse for it.

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 17, 2014 11:59 |  #142

Shadowblade wrote in post #16841098 (external link)
And, outside of the aesthetic appeal of some street photographs, these fields have done precisely nothing to shape humanity.

http://www.apimages.co​m …60aa946ba9e77eb​786d46207e (external link)

http://www.cah.utexas.​edu …p?s=3&gallery=e​ddie_adams (external link)

http://www.magnumphoto​s.com …hResult&ALID=29​YL535ZXX00 (external link)

http://www.joelmeyerow​itz.com/photography/af​ter911.html (external link)

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,331 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 17, 2014 11:59 |  #143

If this wasn't so funny it would be sad and you're right elray has to be a troll...

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 17, 2014 11:59 |  #144

Shadowblade wrote in post #16841109 (external link)
You could erase all art from the world and from human memory and human progress would be none the worse for it.

I really need to walk away from this asinine conversation.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,331 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 17, 2014 12:02 |  #145

Tell that to those that risked their lives to save it in WWII. ;) It is evident art isn't important in your world but that is a narrow one indeed. What I never can get my head around and, I guess it's the ease of all of this now, is why someone would enter a creative feld and have no respect or value for it.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 17, 2014 12:02 |  #146

edge100 wrote in post #16841051 (external link)
Yes, 10 is still 10.

But your assertion about art is flawed because it reduces it to aesthetic beauty, which is precisely the opposite of what I'm arguing for. In fact, I'm saying that there's so much more to art than aesthetics, just as there's so much more to math than addition.

No, I do not reduce art to aesthetic beauty. Not at all. Not even closely so.

I just say it's ridiculous to need to "learn" to like specific genres of art. If I need to learn to like it, then it isn't talking to me, so I better move to other genres or other masters.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,048 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 17, 2014 12:02 |  #147

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16841093 (external link)

I haven't read something this sad on POTN in a long time.

Shadowblade wrote in post #16841098 (external link)
If he had never existed, the same stories would still have been reported, the same news would still have come from the same places they actually did. Maybe the pictures accompanying those news stories would look slightly different, maybe not. But the actual events wouldn't have changed.

There's more to human life than facts.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 17, 2014 12:02 |  #148

There's no useful knowledge in art.

If a piece of art is significant, it is for historic value (e.g. the first photograph, photos or paintings of significant historical figures) rather than for artistic value. Any relevant knowledge relating to a creative work is, therefore, relevant for its historical significance, not its artistic significance.

Your ignorance... on full display. Art documents, don't you get that? No useful knowledge? I'm pretty sure that has to be the most ignorant statement I've heard in a while.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 17, 2014 12:03 |  #149

elrey2375 wrote in post #16841101 (external link)
You're obviously trolling at this point and I question if it was ever anything else, even from the beginning. If you can't see the significance in Bresson's work or any of the work of the great photographers from the past that have been mentioned in this thread, then I truly pity you. Photography has lost the storytelling aspect. It's all about the prettiest sunset or whatever. That's a fleeting significance, forgotten in a moment. The work that has been mentioned has a lasting impact.

What lasting impact? The only impact they've had is on other 'art'. Outside the insular world of art, the existence of these works hasn't changed anything. They haven't influenced anything in engineering, medicine, agriculture, etc. - things which impact on the lives of people - nor have they influenced the building blocks of these things, e.g. physics, chemistry, genetics.

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 17, 2014 12:03 |  #150

pwm2 wrote in post #16841128 (external link)
No, I do not reduce art to aesthetic beauty. Not at all. Not even closely so.

I just say it's ridiculous to need to "learn" to like specific genres of art. If I need to learn to like it, then it isn't talking to me, so I better move to other genres or other masters.

Something that is instantly gratifying is often fleeting. True understanding comes over time.

sponsored links

52,808 views & 0 likes for this thread
Renowned Photographer Jeff Mitchum's Masterpiece "Third Day" Sells For $1.8 Million
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.