Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Apr 2014 (Sunday) 16:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What are your thoughts about cameras for 2014

Candid
45 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 13, 2014 16:07 |  #1

I see plenty of posts on new cameras for 2014.

Impending 7DII May 2014 etc. Mega pixel monster pitched between 5DIII and 1Dx. Allegedly Rumours are HOT. What is the deal with May. Is that a relevant time to make an announcement?

What are your thoughts? Can we expect a new line up of cameras?

7D is quite old I suppose by camera model standards.

70D is close. But in my view, is just that. Close. Slightly better IQ, low noise, but it's not a replacement for the 7D. Still pitched below it.

What I want is the big upgrade. The real deal

sponsored links
mjkubba
270 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 13, 2014 16:16 |  #2

Ill probably do, my 60D is few years old now, while it still a gem and to be honest I've seen a lot of people with older gen xxD taking great photos, I'm thinking of upgrading to the next 7D or whatever they are going to call it, most likely mk II, but they can go with other lineup since 70D is very close to 6D now so there is not much to go in between IMO.
So depends on where life takes me but most likely Ill go with 7D Mk II

Canon AE-1, Canon 60D, Fujifilm JX400
Canon 35-70mm, Canon 18-55mm IS, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 70-300 VC
http://folding.extreme​overclocking.com …ge.php?un=mjkub​ba&t=37726 (external link)

Candid
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 13, 2014 16:20 |  #3

I so want the next gen 7D? to become available.

7D had great autofocus but did have high ISO issues. It needs an upgrade. A real upgrade. I'm currently saving my pennies for something that makes me want to spend them.

The 70D just doesn't float my boat enough. I want better, but in crop format.

racketman
Cream of the Crop
21,038 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 13, 2014 16:30 |  #4

If there is a mega pixel monster I might be interested especially if it has a flip out LCD which is very useful for macro tripod work.

Toby
Canon 5D MKIV
Olympus EM-1 MKII
Flickr collections (external link)
Gear

lota420
44 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 13, 2014 16:31 |  #5

Canon badly needs a 'blockbuster' , it took Canon the best part of 4 years to come up with a replacement for the 5D Mk II and even that had a lukewarm reception.

I hope they go the extra mile with new 7D-2 and give it all the bells and whistles.

Candid
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 13, 2014 16:35 |  #6

That's the thing. The 7D is just short of 5 years old now. It's crying out to be upgraded.

Extra bells and whistles in keeping with changes in technology and how equipment is used now. Coupled with upgrades to what made it an awesome camera all those years ago. Better high ISO, FPS, IQ, AF Points.

I can only hope the 70D was a trial of functionality, which can incorporate into 7D with some of it's big brother's AF

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,083 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 13, 2014 17:20 |  #7

lota420 wrote in post #16830760 (external link)
I hope they go the extra mile with new 7D-2 and give it all the bells and whistles.

I hope they don't - I also hope they greatly reduce the MP count but I know they (Canon) won't! After all who on earth would want a fast APSC camera with good AF and high ISO performance? Err - ME!
My current camera has 18mp on a full frame sensor and that is more than enough as it allows for larger pixels and lower noise, on APSC 10mp or less is plenty. After all some of the best large prints I have seen (6ft x 3ft) were from a 6mp DSLR.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

RayinAlaska
425 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 13, 2014 17:24 |  #8

All I know if that very old cameras are still being used, and some amazing photos are bing posted in this forum each day. Just look at the 5D classic forum, and so the 40D. New features make things easier for us, but not necessarily the ability of creating better photos.

catclaw
344 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 13, 2014 17:25 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Candid wrote in post #16830770 (external link)
That's the thing. The 7D is just short of 5 years old now. It's crying out to be upgraded.

Extra bells and whistles in keeping with changes in technology and how equipment is used now. Coupled with upgrades to what made it an awesome camera all those years ago. Better high ISO, FPS, IQ, AF Points.

I can only hope the 70D was a trial of functionality, which can incorporate into 7D with some of it's big brother's AF

All of you do realize that a new 7D may never happen right?? The 1Ds sat around for 5 years too without an update when it just stopped production and was integrated into the 1D line.

The 5D III is essentially the 7D but as a full frame and 2 frames per second slower. When a body has been sitting around for so long past it's update cycle, it starts to become apparent that an update isn't going to happen and the body is going to be absorbed into another line.

TriExposure (external link)

Candid
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 13, 2014 17:30 |  #10

I agree there is a bit of a battle on high Mp. Maybe Nikon driving that. It was one of the talking points with the D800 and it's 36 MP.

The canon MKIV only had 16MP but is highly regarded. The 1DX is 18MP, ok full frame, but MP
isn't the battle. It's the quality of the MP.

If a 7DII came out tomorrow, I would be in no doubt it would obliterate the current 7D in terms of specs and performance. I Know prices drop after release, but I would buy it straight away. I am currently in the frame to upgrade my camera. I can wait though. The 7DII has been milling about for a bit. I heard rumour back at this time 2013 that it was coming.

I agree that cameras of lesser spec can take great pictures. Take me, Canon 30D and I get perfectly acceptable high action sports shots with a 9 point AF. Portraits are nice. Landscapes too.

I do think it's coming now though. I can feel it in my water.

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,431 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 13, 2014 17:39 |  #11

Candid wrote in post #16830916 (external link)
The canon MKIV only had 16MP but is highly regarded. The 1DX is 18MP, ok full frame, but MP
isn't the battle. It's the quality of the MP.

I have the 1D4 that I use for air shows. Because the subject is at a distance, often I'll crop the image. I'd love to have a 1.3x crop body that had more than 16 mp. It would give me more mp to crop from.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 13, 2014 18:20 |  #12

RayinAlaska wrote in post #16830907 (external link)
All I know if that very old cameras are still being used, and some amazing photos are bing posted in this forum each day. Just look at the 5D classic forum, and so the 40D. New features make things easier for us, but not necessarily the ability of creating better photos.

The main impact of a new camera is to drive down the price of existing models and place many lightly-used current cameras on the used market while some people rush to get new models.

Also, after the new cameras have been on the market for a few weeks and dissatisfied early adopters return them after learning the new equipment doesn't automatically make them better photographers, that speeds the release of the new models as "refurbished."

So, hurry up Canon and release the new cameras, because many bargain-hunters are counting on you.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,257 posts
Gallery: 1675 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 13, 2014 18:59 |  #13

DC Fan wrote in post #16831010 (external link)
The main impact of a new camera is to drive down the price of existing models and place many lightly-used current cameras on the used market while some people rush to get new models.

Also, after the new cameras have been on the market for a few weeks and dissatisfied early adopters return them after learning the new equipment doesn't automatically make them better photographers, that speeds the release of the new models as "refurbished."

So, hurry up Canon and release the new cameras, because many bargain-hunters are counting on you.

This!

I always like new releases, because it makes good older cameras that much cheaper to get ahold of. And I'd rather have several cameras that I can basically be care free with, rather than a singular expensive camera that doesn't do realistically that much better, but has a lot of really nice features. I'd rather spend on the glass.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,722 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Apr 13, 2014 19:11 |  #14

How many years have we heard about a 7D II?
There are cameras out there right now that will get the job done.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

catclaw
344 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 13, 2014 20:29 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

Tapeman wrote in post #16831102 (external link)
How many years have we heard about a 7D II?
There are cameras out there right now that will get the job done.

Right. That's why I'm laughing at all these people clamoring over a new 7D version. People! The 5D III does everything your 7D does, but does it better except for the 2 frame per second slower rate. Why are you sitting on your hands waiting for something that may never happen when what you want is right in front of you? It's funny.

The guy who runs the Canon Rumors website just makes money off you visiting his site through advertising to you and convincing you to buy stuff through his commission links to B&H and Adorama. There is rarely any credibility to the rumors he blogs about every day, including your 7D II.

I remember he was talking about a rumored 1Ds IV for a few years before that line was actually just abandoned and integrated into the 1D line. It makes complete sense for the 7D line to be abandoned and absorbed into the 5D line as soon as 7D sales sag.

TriExposure (external link)

sponsored links

6,285 views & 0 likes for this thread
What are your thoughts about cameras for 2014
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.