Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Apr 2014 (Monday) 21:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking of Upgrading ... Opinions

switch15foot
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 14, 2014 21:14 |  #1

Currently have 50D, which I love and lens should show up in my signature.

Planning a three week France/Italy trip for the end of the year; followed by London/Ireland three week the following year.

Thinking I need to add a wide angle before trip, which lead me to consider the EF-S 10-20mm; which is fine on current camera but wouldn't be compatible if I upgraded body as likely to get 70D.

I would love to be able to also use camera to take video; as I know even if I bought a video camera, I would rarely ever use it as I always have my camera in my hands. For the 70D, do u need an external mic to get good sound? How is the video quality? Ease of use?

Would 24-105L be wide enough on the 70D to be able to get good shots in tight quarters (churches, etc)? Or would I likely need to purchase another wide angle even if I upgraded the body.

All suggestions appreciate and would love to see pictures to help me decide.

Canon 50D | EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 |

sponsored links
BigSky
733 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 14, 2014 21:21 |  #2

switch15foot wrote in post #16834131 (external link)

Thinking I need to add a wide angle before trip, which lead me to consider the EF-S 10-20mm; which is fine on current camera but wouldn't be compatible if I upgraded body as likely to get 70D.

50D & 70D are both APS-C cameras and thus the EF-S 10-20(10-22) will work with both.

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 14, 2014 21:31 |  #3

IMHO, the 24-105 will not be great for indoor churches and such. Many of them do not allow flashes at all. A wider and faster lens, such as the 17-55 or one of the third party 17-50 f/2.8 lenses would probably be better.

If you want to do video with the included mics, get the 70D with one of the STM kit lenses. They have silent autofocus and are great for video.

As far as pictures, the 70D owners thread is a good place to look.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 14, 2014 21:33 |  #4

Im a 70D user and we have the same package of lenses. :-). The 24 105 will be tough on tight places, lets say taking a group picture after the ceremony, video mode will be fine with the 24 105 depending on the scenario you'll shoot (i.e. creative shots, vows, wedding ring etc.) but if you plan to use it for wide angle shots, you won't get the result you want (not if you have a big space to move backward). 10 -22 mm is a great choice to add on your gear and its completely compatible with the 70D but will not work with full frame bodies. EF 14mm L will be my preferable lens if wide angle is in concern, its both compatible with FF bodies and Crop sensors.

As for the audio, hissing is prominent, I have to use RODE mic to get better audio and yes, 70D is user friendly and has an ALLi full hd setting which gives excellent video quality (but not surpassing the 5d III of course).

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,087 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 14, 2014 21:39 |  #5

I'd rather have a 6D than 70D for a trip.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,360 posts
Gallery: 1718 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 14, 2014 22:48 |  #6

switch15foot wrote in post #16834131 (external link)

Planning a three week France/Italy trip for the end of the year; followed by London/Ireland three week the following year.

I would love to be able to also use camera to take video; as I know even if I bought a video camera, I would rarely ever use it as I always have my camera in my hands. For the 70D, do u need an external mic to get good sound? How is the video quality? Ease of use?

Would 24-105L be wide enough on the 70D to be able to get good shots in tight quarters (churches, etc)? Or would I likely need to purchase another wide angle even if I upgraded the body.

All suggestions appreciate and would love to see pictures to help me decide.

Heya,

The 70D has the same crop ratio as your current camera. So the EF-S 10-22 Canon will work the same. Does very well with video.

24mm is not wide enough for tight quarters like in a church. You'll want at least 16mm, and down to 10mm for that. So the EF-S 10-22 should do that nicely for you. An alternative is the Samyang 14mm F2.8 manual lens.

If you want good audio, a microphone is a must. No camera has a good built in omni-mic. You want an external stereo mic with muffs if you want good audio.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

stang67
385 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 15, 2014 02:20 |  #7

Talley wrote in post #16834192 (external link)
I'd rather have a 6D than 70D for a trip.

Seconded. OP, seriously consider a 6D (search around to find one in the ~$1400 new price range). I assume that's possible (I got mine new for $1450aud a while back). The 70D is fantastic, but I can't help but suggest the (imo) better tool for what you want to do. You could then use your 24-105 which should be wide enough. If you must then get a great UWA, grab the 17-40.

Canon 6D - Canon 1D Mk III - 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | Σ 105mm f/2.8 | Canon 400mm f/5.6L | Σ 35mm f/1.4 | 17-40mm f/4L
flickr (external link)

switch15foot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 15, 2014 05:04 |  #8

my mistake on thinking EF-S not compatible with 70D; i didn't think it made sense but when reading camera profile it stated that compatible with over 103 EF lens so I just assumed no longer compatible with EF-S ... not sure if this helps, as now I could just get the lens this time around and upgrade the camera body before next trip

decisions, decisions

Canon 50D | EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 |

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 15, 2014 05:41 |  #9

Much of the European experience is visiting old churches. They are incredible. I have a 60D and I have the kit lens 18-135 as well as the 28 1.8. I used the 28 1.8 for all of my low light photography. That lens was incredible, but on a crop sensor, it was not wide enough.

Your 50 1.8 will be very limiting in Europe, simply too much reach. Likewise, many streets in Italy are so narrow making a wide lens so important. The 10-22 maybe a good option for street shots but won't do well in low light conditions.

For $450 or so the 28 1.8 is a cheap way to get your indoor shots. Moving up to a 6D and getting a good fast and wide lens would be a perfect combination for a European trip. But that will cost you some dollars.

I cannot emphasis enough the need of a wide and fast lens for Europe.

sponsored links

923 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thinking of Upgrading ... Opinions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.