Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 15 Apr 2014 (Tuesday) 15:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New guy here saying hi!

modestglock26
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 15, 2014 15:01 |  #1

New to the forum and wanted to say hi. I'm just a hobbyist who loves taking photos day to day. Recently I've become a big fan of Canon gear after making the switch from Nikon. Nothing exciting but I'm currently using:

5d Classic
20d
2x40d's

...and a trustily little Lumix LX3 when flying and unable to pack much.

I love my 20d and for some reason I can just get a really good image out of it. I traded off a 50d for my 5d Classic because I was wanting to try my first FF setup. I love the 5d but I desperately need to get the sensor cleaned or learn how to myself as I'm getting some dust blobs in certain shots. I know I also need to clean the inside of the view finder as it's got something on it.

I just got 2 40d's, though one was a gift from a family friend and completely a surprise. I had ordered my 40d through Adorama and then found out a day later I was being gifted another 40d with a few lenses. Guess I can't complain at all. Currently, I'm trying out some new glass and really enjoying the 40d's.

Enough rambling on, just wanted to stop in and say hi. Looking forward to learning a lot here.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 15, 2014 16:11 |  #2

Welcome to potn, its a great resource.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 15, 2014 16:25 |  #3

Welcome! Sounds like you're building up some great gear. Looking forward to more posts from you and hopefully some pictures too! If you have any questions about Canon's settings (since you're crossing over from Nikon), please do not hesitate to ask!

Welcome aboard,
Bryan

My Gear List

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,629 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 15, 2014 16:33 |  #4

Welcome!... I hope this is the great resource and company it's been to me for so many years now. A great group of people, and some very talented eyes here. I remember when I used to run around stages with a pair of 20ds, but in places like city meetings and other silencey spots, the shutter was unforgettable. I always called the 20d the "AK" of the Canon series. :)
Lots of stuff to browse around, so I'll let you get to it.

Mario "MJ" Gravina
A Grayscale man in a Kodachrome world...
www.mariogravina.com (external link)

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,526 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2005

Apr 15, 2014 16:35 |  #5

Welcome :)

I loved my 20D, used it for many years. I just recently gave it to a friend.

Sevas Tra...

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 15, 2014 21:06 |  #6

I took one of the 40d's out today for a few minutes. The pollen and cold air are trying to kill me.

Looking forward to getting more comfortable with the controls. It's mainly an issue of muscle memory and reaching for buttons in the wrong places.

For now I just force myself to carry a camera on me daily, and try to always capture stuff should the moment come. I wouldn't say I have a particular style, but I dabble in street, nature, macro, astro and portraits for now.

I can't explain it but the 50d and I just never clicked. It was my first Canon and I got some great shots with it, but something just wasn't connecting for me. I've never had any fancy lenses and I just sort of get by on budget stuff. Again, this is just a hobby for me at this time and on a public safety salary...

So, I decided to start trying new lens options that I guess I never thought of before. Picking up a few primes was the best thing I've ever done. Right now I'm on a wide angle kick, but the primes really got me going again. I added a 50mm, 40mm, 28mm and then a few options in the middle. I feel like I can do a decent amount of variety now. Switching to the 5d Classic really felt like a good choice, but I'm still struggling to find my sweet spot with it. I'm getting some blotches showing up in some photos and I'm trying to determine where it's coming from. I am finding some in the view finder, but I think the lenses and the sensor both need some cleaning. I picked the 20d up and I just fell in love with it, which I still can't explain. I'm just getting really good shots with it, and it's funny that the one photo I've actually sold was taken with the 20d.

I've only had the 40d setups for about a day now and I'm already a fan. I just need more free time, and more good weather.

A few samples of my completely amateur shots:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …/DSC_0038_zpse8​4606b3.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

http://img.photobucket​.com …SC_0476-2_zps3218b594.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …ck/Photography/​Cigar1.jpg (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 15, 2014 23:08 |  #7

Very nice photographs!

Bryan

My Gear List

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,629 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 16, 2014 09:53 |  #8

Good stuff!... The last image is great.

Mario "MJ" Gravina
A Grayscale man in a Kodachrome world...
www.mariogravina.com (external link)

mark48
914 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 16, 2014 10:49 |  #9

Welcome to POTN. I like what you've posted, especially the last one.

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 16, 2014 10:53 |  #10

Welcome! I am a Glock 27 person myself.

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Apr 16, 2014 11:36 |  #11

Welcome! I like the last image the most.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Apr 16, 2014 14:45 |  #12

stathunter wrote in post #16838202 (external link)
Welcome! I am a Glock 27 person myself.

Nothing wrong with the 27 at all! I've got a few myself. Thanks y'all, just wanted to upload a few shots but photobucket decided it didn't want to refresh for me after that point.

sponsored links

1,217 views & 0 likes for this thread
New guy here saying hi!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.