Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 17 Apr 2014 (Thursday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Printing only jpeg.

ericcrazyman
190 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 17, 2014 10:06 |  #1

Went into local print shop to see about getting a print done. I starting asking about proofing and the guy says they only take jpegs. I said thanks, but no thanks. Weird or what?

A photograph is worth a thousand words, but Photoshop can produce a thousand lies. Photo editing allowed. I need all the help I can get.

sponsored links
stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 17, 2014 10:14 |  #2

Sounds pretty common. Personally I send my stuff to MPix for prints, they do great work and are quick and cheap.

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

ericcrazyman
THREAD ­ STARTER
190 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 17, 2014 10:25 |  #3

I do not want to spend time working a photo shop file and then save it as a jpeg. Might as well save the camera file and resize to print size and print and forget the processing part. Maybe I got this printing thing all wrong.

A photograph is worth a thousand words, but Photoshop can produce a thousand lies. Photo editing allowed. I need all the help I can get.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,187 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 17, 2014 10:43 |  #4

What is your objection to the .jpeg?

ericcrazyman
THREAD ­ STARTER
190 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 17, 2014 11:41 |  #5

Nothing for online or quick printing. For a wall hanging I want quality. Would you hang a jpeg print in a gallery?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,187 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 17, 2014 11:47 |  #6

ericcrazyman wrote in post #16841040 (external link)
Nothing for online or quick printing. For a wall hanging I want quality. Would you hang a jpeg print in a gallery?

I have. I think you are imagining extreme quality loss from the .jpg that may or may not exist. A .jpg of sufficient size will make a good quality print.

number ­ six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,941 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 17, 2014 13:53 |  #7

The very slight loss of quality in a JPEG at minimal compression is nothing compared to the loss of quality (dynamic range and resolution) inherent in the printing process. The print is the weak link in the chain.

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Apr 17, 2014 16:11 |  #8

ericcrazyman wrote in post #16841040 (external link)

I hang .jpeg prints in the gallery all the time. They sell. Not sure what your issue with printing .jpegs is.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 17, 2014 16:20 as a reply to  @ Woolburr's post |  #9

I print from jpeg all the time, through a good lab, and the prints are good enough to do well in regional (usually North Wales) print battles, the last one I was in I scored higher than some prints that have been doing the rounds on the national exhibition circuit, where standards for acceptances are pretty high. I have also won the projected digital image category for North Wales, last year, and came in the top 3 this year. Both with Jpegs of course.

Of course, it is normal for the vast majority of the exhibition prints to be printed from jpeg, if not all of them. I certainly don't know anybody who uses anything else for their competition and exhibition prints or PDIs.

Grumps ­ Photo
Suffering Keyboard in Mouth desease
2,012 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Apr 17, 2014 19:52 |  #10

So out of curiosity: What format were you expecting to print from?

I print my own stuff directly from PS to a Canon 6220 and Canon 9500 depending on the client, but for large orders I will use either Costco or Staples. Both are jpeg sent with Print Correction disabled, profile information and a note to not screw with the colour correction, and because of the amount of trouble I've given them for doing it, is usually followed.

Grumps
(aka Jim or JAZZ D.P.G.)
1DsMKIII, 1DMKIII, T6s, D60, L's, DO, USM, other lens, flashes, studio gear (but no studio!) Olympus TG3
grumpsphoto.com

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 17, 2014 19:59 |  #11

I did a large metal jpeg print - in fact the shot was taken and saved only in jpeg. It looks great.

What format do you expect them to take??

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Grumps ­ Photo
Suffering Keyboard in Mouth desease
2,012 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Apr 17, 2014 20:21 |  #12

ericcrazyman wrote in post #16840879 (external link)
I do not want to spend time working a photo shop file and then save it as a jpeg. Might as well save the camera file and resize to print size and print and forget the processing part. Maybe I got this printing thing all wrong.

Colour correction, cropping/sizing, sharpening; the 3 basics of digital correction will be noticeable if missing in any format.

Saved in high quality jpeg, lots of space to work with. Sufficiently corrected and sharpened would not show loss.

Even working in L.a.b. you would not save anything terrific once you go to print in cmyk. Colour space would still be blown away.

I'm not getting this :confused:

Grumps
(aka Jim or JAZZ D.P.G.)
1DsMKIII, 1DMKIII, T6s, D60, L's, DO, USM, other lens, flashes, studio gear (but no studio!) Olympus TG3
grumpsphoto.com

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 17, 2014 20:32 |  #13

The alternative to submitting a high-quality jpeg to a print provider is to submit a tiff. Many shops/labs won't take tiffs because of the large file size (and maybe software issues). A high quality jpeg should stand up well...

Now, yeah, I have heard a couple users say that they saw a "quality difference" between a print from a jpeg and one from a tiff. Although most of us haven't "nailed" that and maybe most of us haven't seriously "researched" it, if you really want you'd need to find a provider that would accept tiffs.

As to "proofing", my advice is to crop out a part of the image and have them print on letter-size paper, so you can view that part of the scene from the distance that you would view the large print at.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,302 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Apr 17, 2014 20:39 |  #14

Weird as in they only do jpegs or weird that you think that there's something wrong with printing from jpegs? Here's a clue: it's not #1.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

CollegeKid
475 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 25, 2014 02:09 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

Walmart prints jpgs. They have one size larger than 20"x30", I do believe. Not sure about the biggest size, but the 20"x30" ones look just fine. It's been a while, but I think they used to be $29.95. That is half what my local (Nikon) retailer charges for similar prints.

sponsored links

1,936 views & 0 likes for this thread
Printing only jpeg.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.