Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Apr 2014 (Friday) 11:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I get the impression.......

eddieb1
769 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 18, 2014 11:37 |  #1

that Canon should only build the 5DIII, the 7D, and oh nothing else. It seems that most newbies that ask a question about what their first camera should be, are more often then not, told to save more money and buy a 5DIII. I purchased my 6D and have been more than happy with it. I'm getting older and a bit cynical, which leads me to get a chuckle out of the mentioned advice. If I had taken some of the advice given by some board members, I would still be waiting to take photographs. Rant off. Thanks

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,587 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 18, 2014 11:39 |  #2

I see all kinds of suggestions, many times the suggestions seem spot on for what the person posting is looking to shoot. I have seen 7D, 70D, 60D, 5D2, 5D3, 1D3, 6D, and even the original 5D as suggestions recently. I think alot of people suggest a camera they want, or already have, and the 5D3 seems to be a very good value for the money in the current model line up.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,003 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 18, 2014 11:39 |  #3

A lot depends on how the question is posed. What is the best camera for me? The answer is always 1DX or 5D3 if the OP doesnt give more or better information regarding budget/needs.

eddieb1
THREAD ­ STARTER
769 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 18, 2014 12:03 |  #4

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16843722 (external link)
I see all kinds of suggestions, many times the suggestions seem spot on for what the person posting is looking to shoot. I have seen 7D, 70D, 60D, 5D2, 5D3, 1D3, 6D, and even the original 5D as suggestions recently. I think alot of people suggest a camera they want, or already have, and the 5D3 seems to be a very good value for the money in the current model line up.

I agree with some of your statements, but I see quite often, a person asking about a camera that would work well for, let's say, landscape and occasionally kids, he says he has a limited budget, $2000 for example, and is considering a 6D, the comments start to come in that the AF is not very good, the frame rate is slow, outer focus points are crap, and yata, yata, yata. The poster doesn't need to be told to save more and buy way more camera then he needs. All that would do is lead to frustration and possibly turn the person away from photography. Not very helpful. I think want frustrates me the most is that the subject of the original post gets lost. It becomes a my camera is better than your camera post.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,357 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 18, 2014 12:06 |  #5

eddieb1 wrote in post #16843806 (external link)
I agree with some of your statements, but I see quite often, a person asking about a camera that would work well for, let's say, landscape and occasionally kids, he says he has a limited budget, $2000 for example, and is considering a 6D, the comments start to come in that the AF is not very good, the frame rate is slow, outer focus points are crap, and yata, yata, yata. The poster doesn't need to be told to save more and buy way more camera then he needs. All that would do is lead to frustration and possibly turn the person away from photography. Not very helpful. I think want frustrates me the most is that the subject of the original post gets lost. It becomes a my camera is better than your camera post.

People have been ignoring stated budgets when giving advice for about as long as people have been giving advice. Worthwhile to understand that a lot of advice giving is just wish fulfillment daydreaming.

If you sift through a thread you can see the people who are really trying to think about the options and the budget and who just thinks that only a 1DX can get any job done.

I do see people who'd budgets and goals are not in alignment, usually because they are trying to do something that has a bit of a 'gear threshold' and the budget doesn't support that. Usually this is something with fast action in low light or something that needs a lot of reach. When I think a person's budget is going to force them to compromise on IQ significantly, I tell them so. But that is probably not where the difference in say, a 70D and a 5D3 is going to come up.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Apr 18, 2014 12:15 |  #6

Horses for courses. I'm not really seeing your point... it's true that many people discredit the 6D and even the 70D entirely, but for the most part I think the forum gives pretty solid advice depending on the needs of the OP.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 18, 2014 12:23 |  #7

WHAT? The 5D III has such HORRIBLE and insufferable BANDING noise and TERRIBLE DR, it is like, totally, the worst camera ever made ever. Who would EVER recommend that...

;)

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Dave ­ Jenkins
606 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 18, 2014 12:26 |  #8

It all makes me wonder how we ever managed to make photographs before the latest wondercameras were introduced.

Dave Jenkins
<'}}}}><
My newest book: Backroads and Byways of Georgia. See it at amazon.com.
Travel and People: www.davidbjenkins.com
My award winning book: Rock City Barns: A Passing Era. 29,000 copies sold.

eddieb1
THREAD ­ STARTER
769 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 18, 2014 12:38 |  #9

Dave Jenkins wrote in post #16843909 (external link)
It all makes me wonder how we ever managed to make photographs before the latest wondercameras were introduced.

Amen!

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,629 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 18, 2014 13:06 |  #10

He he... this brought back a thought I had for a possible signature line, something along the lines of "my Gear is 900% more advanced technically and technologically than that used by the great Master Photographers of the XXth Century... And still, my photographs do not measure up. The secret, the essence, must lie somewhere else".

Though I do tend to see this is as a marketing thread for Canon's options. I do wonder too why so many veins are exploited. Consumer, prosumer, Professional, Compat, foolproof... The only logical answer that always comes to my mind is "well, they probably sell most of them..." which is probably their goal.

Mario "MJ" Gravina
A Grayscale man in a Kodachrome world...
www.mariogravina.com (external link)

Vetteography
Goldmember
2,032 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 18, 2014 13:07 |  #11

There are a lot of gearheads here, but really.. this place is not as bad as some I have seen!

I am a hobbyist, will always be a hobbyist, and though I sometimes get pangs of envy concerning the high dollar bodies, I haven't outgrown my amateur camera yet so the gear guys don't bother me all that much.

I'll tell you what really cracks me up... it is the people who go out and buy a 5D MkIII and then you see questions like 'What is the M for on my dial?" :p

nellyle
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 18, 2014 13:12 |  #12

Vetteography wrote in post #16844039 (external link)
There are a lot of gearheads here, but really.. this place is not as bad as some I have seen!

I am a hobbyist, will always be a hobbyist, and though I sometimes get pangs of envy concerning the high dollar bodies, I haven't outgrown my amateur camera yet so the gear guys don't bother me all that much.

I'll tell you what really cracks me up... it is the people who go out and buy a 5D MkIII and then you see questions like 'What is the M for on my dial?" :p

Everyone knows that M is for movies, A action, T is for Telephoto, B is for Best quality and P is for Professional.

Not sure what C1, C2 and C3 are for though, although the green box must be good as it's A*.

5D3, 7D2, 1D3, 40D, 14 f2.8 Samyang, 17-40 L, 28-80 L, 70-200 2.8ii L, 200 2.8ii L, 200-400 L, 1.4 ii,
http://chris-stamp.smugmug.com/ (external link)

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,629 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 18, 2014 13:16 |  #13

Vetteography wrote in post #16844039 (external link)
...I'll tell you what really cracks me up... it is the people who go out and buy a 5D MkIII and then you see questions like 'What is the M for on my dial?" :p

Priceless. Or they have the 1Ds III, shooting in the green box at their kid's soccer game.

Mario "MJ" Gravina
A Grayscale man in a Kodachrome world...
www.mariogravina.com (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 18, 2014 13:19 |  #14

Dave Jenkins wrote in post #16843909 (external link)

I agree. Back when I could see through my Nikon F cameras (I have two of them but cannot get corrective lenses for my old eyes that fit the Nikon viewfinders), I could do all sorts of high-speed work with them - car and motorcycle racing as well as other sports included - with manual film advance, manual focus, manual metering, etc.

In reality, my dream digital camera would be as simple to operate as my ancient Nikons are. The viewfinders would be big, bright, and optimized for manual focus and would have easily interchangeable focus screens. The lenses would have focus adjustments that are optimized for manual focus. There would be a built-in light meter (mostly for backup) but I'd keep the system in manual exposure mode.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

panicatnabisco
964 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 18, 2014 14:01 |  #15

Theres so many "im too lazy to do my research/read other camera recommendation threads, please make a decision for me" threads that the cynical get a 5dIII reply is appropriate.

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24/1.4II | 24-70/2.8II | 24-105 | 50/1.8 | 50/1.2 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.2II | 100/2.8 IS macro | 400/2.8 IS | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8 Cinema BMD Ursa Mini 4k
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,933 views & 0 likes for this thread
I get the impression.......
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.