Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 21 Apr 2014 (Monday) 18:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

... is Flickr worth it?

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,225 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 21, 2014 18:45 |  #1

The Flickr dilemma...
Flickr says we now need to sign in with a Yahoo account (no more google or FB sign-in)...

So this is another example of our information going to a $1 billion corporation and I'm wondering - aside from a free terabyte of space (which is nice for back-up) - are there any other benefits of Flickr??

I'm just at a personal limit of giving out my info to the who business world... Google and FB having my info is bad enough...

thoughts? Flickr worth it? Creating a Yahoo Account worth it?

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

sponsored links
Bad ­ Habit
Goldmember
2,102 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 21, 2014 18:51 |  #2

Once you've given your info to Google and FB, the whole world already has it. It' just yet another sign-on and password for you to remember. Being set up and run by Yahoo, it would make sense that they don't (or are being prevented from) relying on a competitors system to manage and authenticate users.

JR / flickr (external link)

fashionrider
Goldmember
1,093 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 22, 2014 00:46 |  #3

I'm a bit more iffy with "free" accounts... I just stick to my smugmug account. It's completely unlimited storage for as low as $5 a month, depending on which plan you get. I have TERABYTES of full sized JPG files in my hard drive and I upload them all to my smugmug as a backup. I put them into a folder that's hidden so it's just for me to see. You can also upload as many videos as you want (3gb max each file), so even more terabytes of my videos are stored onto it as backup for me. Love it love it love it.

If you're interested in it, let me know and I'll give you my coupon code so you get 20% off. :D

Gear List (5D3, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Sigma 85mm f1.4, Sigma 35mm f1.4, 50 f1.8, 24-105L, Alien Bee lights, etc etc)

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,658 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Apr 22, 2014 02:22 |  #4

There's no such thing as free on the Internet. You pay in dollars, or in information, or by looking at ads, or visiting infomercial sites; but one way or another you pay. The corollary to this is there's no such thing as privacy on the Internet. Cookies, browser thumbprints, IP addresses, web bugs, embedded scripts track you on services you might never even visit. Even on SmugMug there are Google and other third-party web bugs and scripts that keep track of your visits, clicks and time spent on their site.

Websites sell that information directly or "in anonymized aggregate form" with marketing companies, consumer demographics companies and other organizations. The fallacy is that with enough data and some strategically-placed beacons and scripts, it is not a difficult task to reassociate anonymous data with real individual profiles. And even if these profiles don't have your name attached, it is again another easy step to do so. I saw it in action at one of the top Internet advertising companies over 10 years ago, and I'm sure it is even easier today.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 22, 2014 05:13 |  #5

Immaculens wrote in post #16851344 (external link)
thoughts? Flickr worth it? Creating a Yahoo Account worth it?

yes, it's free and creating a yahoo account takes only a minute

Somebloke
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 22, 2014 05:29 |  #6

Am I missing something here? All you have to do is set up a FREE email account that you never have to use again in order to access a FREE website that allows you to host 1 terabyte of photos...for....FREE?

rdwalton
153 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 22, 2014 05:32 |  #7

fashionrider wrote in post #16851923 (external link)
I'm a bit more iffy with "free" accounts... I just stick to my smugmug account. It's completely unlimited storage for as low as $5 a month, depending on which plan you get. I have TERABYTES of full sized JPG files in my hard drive and I upload them all to my smugmug as a backup. I put them into a folder that's hidden so it's just for me to see. You can also upload as many videos as you want (3gb max each file), so even more terabytes of my videos are stored onto it as backup for me. Love it love it love it.

If you're interested in it, let me know and I'll give you my coupon code so you get 20% off. :D

I too have smugmug and love it, but just because you pay a company for their services, doesn't mean they don't and won't sell your information. Or that you'll be free from your information being stolen. For example, I have an Adobe subscription to their suite of products and last year I received a notification that thousands of their customers may have had their information stolen. However, they did provide us with a year of free credit monitoring in light of this event. But my point is that just b/c you pay, doesn't mean squat. :)

That being said, I have a couple of email addresses (like Yahoo and Google) that I used and give out for sign-ups and the such and for people and companies that I don't want to flood my regular email account with.

Reginald D. Walton | GEAR | Smugmugexternal link

rdwalton
153 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 22, 2014 05:37 |  #8

Somebloke wrote in post #16852196 (external link)
Am I missing something here? All you have to do is set up a FREE email account that you never have to use again in order to access a FREE website that allows you to host 1 terabyte of photos...for....FREE?

Well, you do have to access the account every so often, otherwise, they will close the account for none use. Unless you pay for the Yahoo Mail Plus account, which never expires. I would say just go with the free account and sign in once a month.

Somebloke
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 22, 2014 05:40 |  #9

rdwalton wrote in post #16852206 (external link)
Well, you do have to access the account every so often, otherwise, they will close the account for none use. Unless you pay for the Yahoo Mail Plus account, which never expires. I would say just go with the free account and sign in once a month.

After how long? I've never used mine and it's still all good? (knock on wood...)

rdwalton
153 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 22, 2014 05:46 |  #10

Somebloke wrote in post #16852209 (external link)
After how long? I've never used mine and it's still all good? (knock on wood...)

I think it's six months of inactivity. But if you're logging into flickr, then that may count as activity.

Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 22, 2014 07:20 as a reply to  @ rdwalton's post |  #11

I'm not sure what you all are talking about. I don't have a Yahoo account. I don't use Yahoo for email. I do use Flickr, and it still opens like it always has. I'm not too find of the most recent change in the website, but that's another issue. I have never logged in with anything but the shortcut saved on my Chrome browser.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

rdwalton
153 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 22, 2014 07:33 |  #12

Preeb wrote in post #16852323 (external link)
I'm not sure what you all are talking about. I don't have a Yahoo account. I don't use Yahoo for email. I do use Flickr, and it still opens like it always has. I'm not too find of the most recent change in the website, but that's another issue. I have never logged in with anything but the shortcut saved on my Chrome browser.

Well, you must be special. But I'm pretty sure you do have a Yahoo ID and you just click the link to log in and it has your ID and password stored, so you don't have to enter each time. Mine is set up that way too. I just click the icon on my menu bar and it takes me there.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 22, 2014 09:12 |  #13

My google 'log in' still worked when I returned to the site with auto login enabled. However once logging out I was unable to access my old account again.

Given that they were able to screw this up for a paid account, not a free one, I'm less than impressed with Flickr and Yahoo. I haven't been updating my flickr lately but resyncing things has been on my todo list.

Google login worked. I have no desire to use Yahoo's other services, have no need for another email address, and don't care to memorize an extra account name and password when google login was working fine. At this point I think I'm more likely to explore building my own site from scratch instead of continuing on with Flickr.

If you're not already using Flickr, I wouldn't suggest setting it up. They're inconsistent, proving themselves to be unreliable, and becoming increasingly useless.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

koolcreation
652 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 22, 2014 09:37 |  #14

I used it alot. I don't really like the new interface, but it's a free TB of space. I remember being only able to have 200 photos unless you had a pro account.

5DMKII | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105 f/4 | Speedlights - Strobes |
Flickr (external link)
Instagram @KoolCreationPhoto (external link)

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 22, 2014 11:35 |  #15

The Flickr dilemma...
Flickr says we now need to sign in with a Yahoo account (no more google or FB sign-in)...

News to those who don't know, Yahoo acquired Flickr long time ago. Flickr is Yahoo and Yahoo is Flickr. If you sign in to Flickr, you are using Yahoo ID. Don't believe me? Go to Flickr.com and click sign in. You'll get redirected to Yahoo sign in page. I never sign in with FB or Google accounts but the link (Sign in with FB or Google) is still there so I guess you can still sign in to Flickr with your FB/Google ID.

I'm just at a personal limit of giving out my info to the who business world... Google and FB having my info is bad enough...

So you always give out your REAL name, date of birth to whoever asks for the info? Who says you have to do that? None of my date of birth is real on Yahoo, Hotmail, FB, Google and even on this site (if it's required). Those online accounts that have no business to get my real info will never get my real info.

additional info:
I signed in with Google ID and prompted to create Yahoo account. You're correct. Users now need Yahoo ID to sign in.

sponsored links

7,747 views & 0 likes for this thread
... is Flickr worth it?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.