Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 21 Apr 2014 (Monday) 18:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

... is Flickr worth it?

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Apr 23, 2014 14:13 |  #46

well, I just get the error stating to sign in with the same acct or a different one. If they wont let us sign in with google, why have the link still there? Could this possibly be a roll out glitch, as the flickr page looks different again, as if they rolled out an update?

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 23, 2014 14:42 |  #47

gnome chompski wrote in post #16855914 (external link)
well, I just get the error stating to sign in with the same acct or a different one. If they wont let us sign in with google, why have the link still there? Could this possibly be a roll out glitch, as the flickr page looks different again, as if they rolled out an update?

Their help desk directed me to log in with my google account and change it over to a Yahoo when I wrote them about being unable to log in with my google account... So I'm assuming this is a glitch of some sort. However what isn't clear is whether or not the glitch is a software bug, or idiots working for Flickr.

I would say that I'm 'done' with them at this point, but I want to recover my account so I can delete everything off it before leaving.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Apr 23, 2014 14:50 |  #48

Luckless wrote in post #16855974 (external link)
Their help desk directed me to log in with my google account and change it over to a Yahoo when I wrote them about being unable to log in with my google account... So I'm assuming this is a glitch of some sort. However what isn't clear is whether or not the glitch is a software bug, or idiots working for Flickr.

I would say that I'm 'done' with them at this point, but I want to recover my account so I can delete everything off it before leaving.

Im with you.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 23, 2014 19:33 |  #49

Are you folks that are having problems all using the "free" Flickr service? Anyone using the "pro" service having these problems?

I ask, because something came up in FaceBook today, a bit of a glitch in the behavior of a group that I've helped out in. Someone complained, and I said "Yeah, but at least it's free! It would be different if it was a pay-for Web 'host'!"

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

mattpugs
619 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 23, 2014 19:50 |  #50

I've been using flickr forever...long before a google/facebook sign in was even there. I get so much business and sales from flickr...love it.

Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 85mm f/1.8 | Canon 100mm 2.8 | Canon 135mm f/2L

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 23, 2014 20:13 |  #51

tonylong wrote in post #16856631 (external link)
Are you folks that are having problems all using the "free" Flickr service? Anyone using the "pro" service having these problems?

I ask, because something came up in FaceBook today, a bit of a glitch in the behavior of a group that I've helped out in. Someone complained, and I said "Yeah, but at least it's free! It would be different if it was a pay-for Web 'host'!"

I've been coughing up the cash for several years now, and again after they switched their new "all free" service on a grandfathered plan. Still no dice. Sounding like they're getting hammered with support requests, so I'm not going to bother with bugging them for awhile and hope they get things cleared up.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 23, 2014 22:37 as a reply to  @ Luckless's post |  #52

Been a paying member for >4-1/2 years. No troubles here.

Kel
Gear

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Apr 24, 2014 11:57 |  #53

I use the free service.

I still cant access my account. I feel that they would have sent an email if they wanted to force us to use a Yahoo account. I still think its a glitch

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 24, 2014 13:13 |  #54

gnome chompski wrote in post #16858262 (external link)
I use the free service.

I still cant access my account. I feel that they would have sent an email if they wanted to force us to use a Yahoo account. I still think its a glitch

From their customer service email:

Thank you for contacting Yahoo Flickr.

We're streamlining our sign in process. As a result, you’ll need to use a Yahoo account to access your Flickr account. Here's how to link your Flickr account to a new Yahoo account or a Yahoo account you already have.

So the fact that they rolled this change out without bothering to notify their customers (paying customer in my case) does not inspire much faith in their management team.

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 24, 2014 13:41 |  #55

Luckless wrote in post #16858451 (external link)
From their customer service email:
We're streamlining our sign in process. As a result, you’ll need to use a Yahoo account to access your Flickr account. Here's how to link your Flickr account to a new Yahoo account or a Yahoo account you already have.

Why not post the "how" part?
If you can only link Yahoo accounts to Flickr, does this mean users who have been using Google or Facebook accounts will lose their photo collections?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 24, 2014 14:47 |  #56

morph2_7 wrote in post #16858509 (external link)
If you can only link Yahoo accounts to Flickr, does this mean users who have been using Google or Facebook accounts will lose their photo collections?

At this point, I'd imagine that if someone is having difficulties, Flickr would grant some "grace period".

But if you flat-out refuse to get the Yahoo account, I'd imagine that in time your stuff would go away...a good reason to make sure that your images are backed up/archived!

I actually had a positive experience with my for-pay Web host PBase...I was having financial difficulties and at one point couldn't pay my PBase fee for upcoming months. I contacted them, and got a gracious response that cut me some slack. Some months later I did pay the fee, but all the while my PBase galleries were up and running!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 24, 2014 15:21 |  #57

morph2_7 wrote in post #16858509 (external link)

Because following the very first line leads you directly to:
"Sorry, there was an error. Please sign in again with the same account or a different one."

The problem I emailed them with was that I could no longer sign in at all with my google account, and the very first step in their instructions is to... Log in with my google account...

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 24, 2014 16:11 |  #58

Luckless wrote in post #16858743 (external link)
The problem I emailed them with was that I could no longer sign in at all with my google account, and the very first step in their instructions is to... Log in with my google account...

Gotta love those tech support canned response. Kinda like a tech support person asking us to visit their website when we call to report we lost internet connection.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 24, 2014 18:50 as a reply to  @ morph2_7's post |  #59

So I did an interesting thing. I went to flickr and signed up for a new account using a browser I never use with no cookies enabled. I setup the new account and signed out. When I went to sign in, it took me to the yahoo sign in page. Near the bottom of the sign in box are links to sign in with facebook and google.

I'm not sure if they work because I'm sure facebook and google are associated with my current flickr account in some way but it seems the option is still there. WOrking or not I couldn't tell though. Maybe someone else wants to take that further?

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 24, 2014 20:32 |  #60

Hmm, I'm not a Flickr user, but I'm curious about how "glitchy" it would be for a brand new user to get started (I am a FaceBook user and have a Google/gMail account)...

However, I've been quite busy both here and on FaceBook (I help to admin a photography group) and my PBase site is my Web host and I'm always checking stuff there, so I really don't have the time and the need for a Flickr account, won't waste the bandwidth!

Tony

sponsored links

7,743 views & 0 likes for this thread
... is Flickr worth it?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.