Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 02 May 2014 (Friday) 00:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need Help!

actionphotos
30 posts
Joined May 2014

May 02, 2014 00:42 |  #1

I may have posted this in the wrong area earlier and thought I should try here.

I am interested in starting a youth action sports photography business and not sure what equipment I really need to make it work? I currently have a Canon T3i with a Canon 70 - 200mm 2.8 IS II USM plus a 1.4 Tele converter. My results are mixed some soft focus, my reach too short. The speed of the camera fps seems way too slow. I am looking for recommendations for a new body and/or lens. Do I need to go to full frame or stick to crop sensor? Really confused and not sure how much I really need to spend.

Your help is much appreciated!

sponsored links
Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
8,010 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2013

May 02, 2014 02:27 |  #2

The Canon lines of Sports cameras are the 1d, 7d, and the 70d. The 5d Mark III is also an excellent sports camera but has a lower fps than the other three. It has an excellent focus system and good low light, but in many sports the more fps the better.

Starting out the 1dx is probably out due to cost. That leaves the 7d or the 70d for use with youth sports such as soccer, baseball, football (American), BMX, skating etc.

If you mainly plan to shoot indoors or under the lights, the 5d Mark III may be the better choice. Low light ability is crucial in youth sports inside because most high school and church gyms have plain awful lighting. The 5d and the 6d are the best low light cameras without spending the money on the newest 1d series camera. The 6d is great in low light, but few use it for sports due to its lack of fast focusing abilities.

Philip

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,937 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

May 02, 2014 09:19 |  #3

I came from a T2i to a 1D3 for kids sports, and it's incredible for me. 24-105 f/4L and a 70-200 f/2.8L fit my needs fine. Basketball is coming up next year though, so I'll be adding an 85mm f/1.8.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

actionphotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined May 2014

May 02, 2014 10:19 |  #4

Thank you to all for your insight! It seems mixed with both full frame and cropped sensor. If you could only have one which would you select? I still am not sure how to get the results I see on this forum?

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,937 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 02, 2014 11:25 |  #5

Well, the 1D (not X) straddles the line between the 1.6 and full frame. You can get great results with any of them though. Glass, technique, and post processing are a huge part of it.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

i_am_cdn
258 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

May 02, 2014 11:35 |  #6

1D is the go to lens for sports. I personally use the 1D MkIV for both main cameras, but also use a 1D MkIIn as a backup. I actually started out using the 1D MKIIn when I made the jump to action sports.

You can get a used one for around $500, and they are a workhorse camera. the III is better, and the IV amazing.

As others have said the 7d or 70d are also good choices. I prefer the crop factor of the 1D at 1.3, to a full frame for reach. But the bigger factor for you needs to be fps, and auto-focus system. You really need 9+fps for action, and the more AF points in the system the better.

Douglas Portz Photography
www.portz.ca (external link)
www.winnipegsportsteam​photos.com (external link)
www.winnipegsportsphot​os.com (external link)
www.winnipegeventphoto​s.com (external link)

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,694 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

May 02, 2014 20:38 |  #7

How serious about this are you? Shooting sports can get expensive, and there is not a lot of money to be made in strictly action photos. The money is in the team and individual photos (although still not great).

Having said that, for serious action shooting, go right to a 1D body. Even an older 1D Mark III would work fine if you are trying to keep a budget. If you have money to spend, then a 1D Mark IV or even 1D X are obviously the top Canon sports bodies. Also, it is handy to carry two bodies for many sporting events. So on a budget, I would suggest a 1D III and a 7D.

Next question would be, what sports are you intending on shooting? That info would be helpful in suggesting lenses.

You mention the 70-200 2.8 and 1.4x extender still being too short. Welp, the next step up from that is gonna be $$$.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,309 posts
Gallery: 792 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

May 02, 2014 21:27 |  #8

Minimally, I would add a 7D body, a Canon 17-55/2.8, and you are going to hate this, a 300/2.8 for field sports under the lights.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

actionphotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
30 posts
Joined May 2014

May 05, 2014 15:18 as a reply to  @ Voaky999's post |  #9

I thank everyone for your insight! I am trying to shoot any and all sports but currently focused on baseball and soccer. Would like to move indoors for some basketball as well. Considering the 5DIII but do I need more than 6 FPS (my current 3.7 FPS does not seem like enough)? I am really struggling with the cost decisions, want a new body but is a 300mm 2.8 a better first investment?

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,937 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 05, 2014 15:26 |  #10

I'd drop the 6D for a used 7D or 1D3, then pocket the extra cash and get a used 300 f/2.8 ii

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,694 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

May 05, 2014 19:15 |  #11

As I mentioned before, this can get expensive. It seems you need both a body (or two, I wouldn't use a T3i as a second body for sports, but that is me) and some glass.

1D3's or 7D's (both are going for close to same price) would be my recommendations here for a start. And you can get two of either for less than a single 5D3.

Is the baseball and soccer strictly daytime, or at night under the lights? If daytime, you could get away with a 100-400 or 400 5.6. If under the lights, well, now you are looking at 300 or 400 2.8. And that is $$.

Since you mentioned you are considering the 5D3, I am assuming approx. $2500 budget?

To start, I would keep your 70-200 and 1.4x. Sell the t3i ($200-300?).

So now you have about $2700. Pick up a couple 1D3's ($1600-1700) or a 1D3 and 7D. A 100-400 or 400 5.6 ($1000-1200). If you manage to find some good deals (I have seen 1D3's going for as low as $725) maybe you can also squeeze in a fast prime (85 1.8) for some indoor (basketball) stuff.

Just my $.02 worth. :)

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

pat.kane
690 posts
Joined May 2005

May 06, 2014 09:25 |  #12

I'd put my money into a better body before more glass as you already have a solid lens (70-200 IS II) to work with.

A 1D Mk III ($800 +/-) or 1D Mk IV (I've seen some crazy deals lately, i.e., < $2,500) are excellent bodies. The 1D Mk IV's high ISO performance is significantly better than the Mk III and you'll likely need this for basketball. I upgraded from the III to IV specifically for indoor sports.

If shooting in daytime for the field sports, the 1.4x III extender would be a good purchase. An inexpensive 85/1.8 ($300) would be a good purchase for basketball. Once you have a basic kit, then you can think about a 300/2.8 and other lenses.

1Dx Mk II, 5D4 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

figo
700 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 06, 2014 20:26 |  #13

I just sold a 7D so that I could buy a 1D Mark3 and I'm very happy with the results. The only down side to buying the 1DM3 is that I have to sell my crop sensor lens.

Wish I could have afforded to keep both but I want to buy a fisheye.

Canon 1D MKIV, 1D MKIII, Canon 70-200 f2.8, Canon 400 f2.8, Canon 16-35mm f2.8.

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,416 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

May 16, 2014 14:44 |  #14

actionphotos wrote in post #16876502 (external link)
I may have posted this in the wrong area earlier and thought I should try here.

I am interested in starting a youth action sports photography business and not sure what equipment I really need to make it work? I currently have a Canon T3i with a Canon 70 - 200mm 2.8 IS II USM plus a 1.4 Tele converter. My results are mixed some soft focus, my reach too short. The speed of the camera fps seems way too slow. I am looking for recommendations for a new body and/or lens. Do I need to go to full frame or stick to crop sensor? Really confused and not sure how much I really need to spend.

Your help is much appreciated!

What's your budget? This will help us help you? We are good at spending other's money.

Al

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

May 17, 2014 23:11 |  #15

rdalrt wrote in post #16878375 (external link)
How serious about this are you? Shooting sports can get expensive, and there is not a lot of money to be made in strictly action photos. The money is in the team and individual photos (although still not great).

How true, Over the years, more parents are showing up with the proper gear, and knowledge. They give their files away or prints at cost. The parents have no reason to purchase from you. If it was not for the T&I and a slideshow for their annual banquet, I could make more working a conventional part time job although it wouldn't be fun.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,856 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need Help!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.