Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 May 2014 (Friday) 11:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Not sure if I need to purchase a new lens

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,656 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

May 02, 2014 14:59 |  #16

My opinion is that 30mm is too long on a crop body to be the only lens you take to Disney. I would stick with the Tamron 17-50/2.8 and rent a Tamron or Sigma super zoom for Animal Kingdom and shots of the kids on rides while you're on the ground.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

sponsored links
Membrain
130 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

May 02, 2014 15:14 |  #17

take what you got and get a go pro hero 3+ black edition!

6D-lovin the GAME...
Full Gear List
Beyond The Lens (external link)
Mr. Beard Butler (external link)

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 02, 2014 15:48 |  #18

On my last trip to Disney, I didn't even take my 60D with me. I only had a Canon G9.

Small enough to carry in my front pocket and takes decent pictures. Most important is the worry free nature of that camera.

Disney is too much fun to be worrying about a good camera. Disney is also tiring enough and I don't want the added weight and strain of lugging a big camera around.

I had my G9 before my 60D. The G9 is a very good backup that comes in very handy when a larger camera just isn't practical.

milfin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 02, 2014 16:47 |  #19

Membrain wrote in post #16877824 (external link)
take what you got and get a go pro hero 3+ black edition!

How about two go pros!! :D

Bongo75
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Sep 2012

May 02, 2014 19:31 as a reply to  @ milfin's post |  #20

Ive just returned from a 5 day pass at disney. Took a 16 -35 2.8 mkii, 24 1.4 mkii and a 24-105 f4. Shooting with a crop body I never took the 24 105 out of the bag. Id suggest something wider or faster than your current list.

kachadurian
125 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2014

May 02, 2014 21:30 |  #21

milfin wrote in post #16877318 (external link)
Heading to disney world the first week of June and decided to head back to the canon forums. From seeing the pictures posted ... Now i have an urge to purchase camera equipment

This is the first and last time I'll probably be at Disney and want to make the most of it by capturing the moment.

My current gear is a

Canon 60 D
Canon 18-135 MM EFS (Kit lens)
Tamron AF 17-50 SP XR Di II VC

I was thinking of purchasing a new lens and wanted some recommendations

Canon 24-70mm f 4
Canon 24-70mm f 2.8l
Canon 24-70mm f 2.8l ii usm
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L

I don't think I will ever purchase a Full Frame camera but if I do it'll be at least 3-4 years away. I just don't practice enough with my current gear. Most of the times in which I break out my DSLR is for school functions in which i don't want to hang out with those (iPhone / I think its a DSLR) paparazzi crazed mothers in the front row. Vacations / Kids Sports/ Family Functions with the outlaws I mean in laws.

I'm also intrigued with Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM SLR Lens.

For this lens purchase its more of a walk around lens for Disney..

Leave the canon stuff at home. Travel light and have fun. Get a Panasonic GM1 or a Ricoh GR if you have cash to spare.

Tom

www.kachadurian.com (external link)

madasax
509 posts
Joined Jun 2012

May 03, 2014 01:58 |  #22

I am in the same boat more or less......We are planning on our first trip tp Disneyland in mid september. Naturally I want to take my DSLR, and I will be taking it because we are driving down and may stop along the way. Anyways as everyone has said, the photographer in all of us wants to get the "cool" shots while in the park, as well as great candids of our kids. But the main thing is I dont want to get caught up in trying so hard to get pictures and loose focus (no pun intended) of the important things. Not saying that you will but I know how my wife feels sometimes when we go somewhere and i bring the DSLR along -

Ok back to the point - I will be taking my Hero3 Black with me into the park because it is just a great way to capture video/stills/wide shots - and is waterproof & small - I have also been looking at getting something like a S110 or decent p&s for the trip - Another thing to think of is if you want to ride a ride as a family im assuming you have to leave your "bag" while you do so - not so appealing to leave a bag with gear in it in a park like that.

I guess im just trying to say do what fits you the best, and wont make you miss out on the fun of a trip. I plan on taking my gear with me as normal but will most likely only take the 7D into the park for something like the fireworks or something like that - a good P&S will give good versitlilty as well as being able to hand it to someone to take a photo of my family without having to explain my camera 1st.

After all that typing I realized I never answered your question......Ha - If i take my 7D in with my im sure ill have my 10-20 on it because of the "crampped" nature of disney - that and maybe a good prime like people have mentioned - I am a huge fan of GoPro's for things like this tho - the ability to have stills/video/compact/w​aterproof/wi-fi for sharing or transfering files on the fly (easily swap the pics from your hero3 onto your phone and then delete them off the camera all while in the park) - Yes you have only the wide angle to fight with but that WA lens is perfect for rides / tight spots

Current Gear: 70D - Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 - 24 2.8stm - 50 1.8 stm -

hiketheplanet
666 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2013

May 03, 2014 06:35 |  #23

You can usually take a small bag on most of the disney rides, there's usually a cargo net in front of you or under your seat for the vast majority of rides.

werds wrote in post #16877337 (external link)
We are planning a trip to Disney in a year or so and I have spent a lot of time on disney boards regarding photography and they all generally say something along the line of the following.

Pack light - only take what you want or need for the day as you don't want to have to risk losing it while on a ride or having to carry full day. The less you carry the more you enjoy yourself too.

For the park most people seem to use some combination of the following. A street lens with variable zoom (most people go with a 17-50 2.8, 17-55 2.8 etc I have seen some that go with kit lenses as well but most of the stuff I saw had those as primaries).

We go to Disneyworld at least once a year and most people are emphatically NOT carrying f/2.8 zooms! As others have said you wont want a big bulky camera/lens weighing you down. There are cool photo ops at Disney, certainly, but how much time will you really be able to devote to a shot with wife & kids?

My ideal setup for a disney trip would be SL1 with the 10-22, and a small prime of the 35 or 50mm variety. But I do emphasize small! That kind of setup you could throw in a book bag and not take up much room. Trust me you dont want to fiddle around with your big bulky dslr in the parks. Go enjoy yourself. You will most likely be frustrated with the kids running around and everything going on around you. When I go out with the family to amusement parks and stuff like that, I don't take mine, it's just not worth it to me.

Lexar
297 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 03, 2014 07:07 |  #24

Been to Disney many times..

On a typical trip 90% using 15-85 and 10% using Sigma 30.

The rides and indoor activities need more then f2.8 so the Tamron will not give you much benefit.
Stick with the 18-135 and buy a fast prime!

Canon 70D | 15-85IS | Σ17-50/2.8 | Σ30/1.4 | 40/2.8 Pancake | 100/2.0 | 55-250STM | 430EXII

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,521 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

May 03, 2014 07:39 |  #25

OP - I'd bring the 18-135 and nothing else. The other options you mentioned all lack a wide angle view on your 60D.

In fact, if I were you and thinking of one lens to take for this kind of a trip I would have the EF-S 15-85 at the top of my list, mainly because 15mm is a lot more useful than 18mm on the wide end.

rivas8409 wrote in post #16877694 (external link)
Of the choice of lenses you're considering I would choose....NONE. The last thing you want to be worrying about while you're on vacation is a $1K, or more, lens banging around. Ok, you cna have the 24-105 for about $600 used, but still. Just take your Tamron 17-50 and enjoy your time. Or better yet, as was stated in another post, buy a good quality point-n-shoot, leave the DSLR at home, and ENJOY your vacation.

He's just looking at a 60D and a lens. Opinions will vary, but to me that is small, lightweight and not very expensive. I wouldn't have much worry carrying that in a small bag.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,388 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 03, 2014 08:00 |  #26

gasrocks wrote in post #16877523 (external link)
Why not just rent a lens for your trip? If you feel the need for one.

This, for a first and last visit to Disney, unless there is GAS at play here. I have been to many amusement parks, over the years, and have carried a variety of gear. In my experience, the less the better. A good point and shoot is what I have taken on the last few visits. An exception would be a superzoom if you want candid shots of kids when they are not watching.

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,388 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 03, 2014 08:07 as a reply to  @ Sibil's post |  #27

On my last visit to Disney, I saw a guy carrying a 1D body + 100-400. For the life of me, I could never figure out what the logic behind his decision was. :rolleyes:

Aki78
961 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

May 03, 2014 08:10 |  #28

I think the 17-50 you already have would be perfect. When I rented 10-22 long ago on my 20D, I did find it really great for architecture (and correct the crazy distortion in PS later) but got bored rather quickly. I feel it has its specific use. If I had one right now I'll use it for that along with astrophotography (which 60D is also capable of doing).

If anything I would try renting the 24-105 f4L IS and see if you like the range? Might be the perfect focal range for your crop body and have a medium telephoto if you want to zoom in. :)

madasax
509 posts
Joined Jun 2012

May 03, 2014 08:38 |  #29

Nice small setup would be an SL1 & 40 2.8

Current Gear: 70D - Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 - 24 2.8stm - 50 1.8 stm -

Nonnit
361 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2012

May 03, 2014 08:44 as a reply to  @ madasax's post |  #30

Of the lenses listed, none.

24 - XX zoom on crop is like 38 - XX zoom on FF.

There is a reason why nobody is making lenses like that, they are too narrow on the wide end.

This is why crop lenses start at 18mm or 15mm.

Nonnit
5DMKIII // 70-200mm f2.8 L II // 35mm f2.0 IS // 50mm f1.4 // 85mm f1.8 // 100mm f2.8 Macro // 135mm f2.0 L // stuff
Film: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/souloffilm/ (external link)
Film: https://www.instagram.​com/souloffilm/ (external link)
Digital: http://nonnitryggva.is (external link) //

sponsored links

3,197 views & 0 likes for this thread
Not sure if I need to purchase a new lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.