Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 06 May 2014 (Tuesday) 02:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Amazon Patents Studio Photography on Seamless White Background

IdiotsAbound
255 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2007

May 09, 2014 21:39 |  #31

gonzogolf wrote in post #16886596 (external link)
Amazon APPLIES for a patent. Different from getting one.

They DID get the patent. Here's Ars Technica's take on it..

http://arstechnica.com …t-butter-sandwich-patent/ (external link)

sponsored links
amoergosum
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 13, 2014 02:15 |  #32

Zack Arias via Facebook...:) >>>

"Zack Arias
Dear @amazon I infringed on your white background photography patent today on a product shoot. I can give you my lawyer’s number if you need"

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,741 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

May 13, 2014 03:43 |  #33

:lol:

Gear List

J_O_S_H_U_A
265 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 13, 2014 13:49 |  #34

OH NO! People will be forced to try something new! I'm scared.

www.instagram.com/_j_o​_s_h_u_a_ (external link) www.atomiccanary.com (external link) http://joshuaorozco.co​m (external link)

amoergosum
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 16, 2014 05:52 as a reply to  @ J_O_S_H_U_A's post |  #35

Last night's hilarious segment (external link) featured Colbert's brilliant plan to patent the filing of patents, but not before making it crystal-clear, in that classic Colbert way, that Amazon's patent is as steaming pile of horse sh**t. [The Colbert Report (external link) via HuffPo (external link)]

Link >>>
http://gizmodo.com …cialflow_gizmod​o_facebook (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 16, 2014 06:37 |  #36

thx for the link
Colbert on Amazon patents !

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 16, 2014 07:21 |  #37

watt100 wrote in post #16886229 (external link)
a patent number has been issued so I assume it's real
a new level of patent absurdity but if Amazon can get a patent on "one click" then anything is possible

A patent number is issued when application is made for it, I believe.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 16, 2014 07:22 |  #38

Eyal wrote in post #16891084 (external link)
But how the hell can you patent something which has been around for ages?
Its like patenting opening a banana one side at a time. Or the name "John Smith".
I mean, WTF?

Can I go and patent a new innovative way, of using a sharp long object to cut vegetables and sue each and everyone of you for using a knife? This is so freaking ridiculous!

I can't even describe how stupid it is.

They're not supposed to be able to patent things that are already in use; it's called "prior art". How this patent got by the patent inspector is beyond me, but I doubt it will stick.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 16, 2014 08:37 |  #39

Of course whether or not it matters if their patent is valid will depend on if they are using it offensively, or defensively.

It is very common these days to patent everything you can that you can't find an existing patent to clearly cover it and then basically forget about it. You hold your patent as a paper shield to be sure no one else can sue you over it. Or if they try then the case is short and you can use your patent to force them to back down.

One thing that would go a long way toward helping address this issue is supporting patent troll laws. Outlaw someone's ability to patent something and then just sit on it. We see this all the time in software, and it is really hurting the industry as far as startups go. People patent horribly stupid things that really they shouldn't be able to, but manage to squeeze by with them anyway, and then sit back and hope someone comes up with something profitable that looks vaguely like one of their patents, and then they pop out of no where saying "Hey, hi, you owe us everything. K, thanks, bye."

The system is screwed up and being horribly abused, but luckily some of the larger players aren't actually being as aggressive and horrible as they could be. (Mostly out of mutual respect and the acceptance that everyone has to pick their battles carefully or no one gets to do any business besides the lawyers.)

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

iAndrewC
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jul 2013

May 16, 2014 21:54 |  #40

I have officially have seen everything now, I'm assuming that Amazon won't be going after most photographers though most likely they'll use it to go after other companies who take product shots for their websites. Perhaps Amazon wants to get into the product photo selling business!

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 18, 2014 13:03 |  #41

archer1960 wrote in post #16908218 (external link)
A patent number is issued when application is made for it, I believe.

maybe, I'm not knowledgeable on patent numbers but it looks like it's a validly assigned patent

KatieB
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined May 2014

May 21, 2014 10:55 as a reply to  @ post 16886583 |  #42

From what I've read in other articles, Amazon's action to do this was more to protect themselves than to chase after others. It's a way to cover themselves so they don't get hit with a big lawsuit. Some people think it's so Amazon can go after the little guys and basically have a monopoly over white backgrounds. But how are they really gonna crack down on people if they use the same technique?

I really do think it's a protective thing more than anything else. But who knows. I could be really really wrong.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

May 21, 2014 12:16 as a reply to  @ post 16886583 |  #43

I might be wrong but when I read the application, it stated the company name is "Amazon Technologies, Inc." based in Reno, NV, not the huge online superstore Amazon based in Seattle.

Just an observation.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,380 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

May 25, 2014 16:15 |  #44

Phoenixkh wrote in post #16920119 (external link)
I might be wrong but when I read the application, it stated the company name is "Amazon Technologies, Inc." based in Reno, NV, not the huge online superstore Amazon based in Seattle.

Just an observation.

Its a subsidiary of Amazon, probably based in Nevada for tax advantages.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,380 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

May 25, 2014 16:17 |  #45

KatieB wrote in post #16919904 (external link)
From what I've read in other articles, Amazon's action to do this was more to protect themselves than to chase after others. It's a way to cover themselves so they don't get hit with a big lawsuit. Some people think it's so Amazon can go after the little guys and basically have a monopoly over white backgrounds. But how are they really gonna crack down on people if they use the same technique?

I really do think it's a protective thing more than anything else. But who knows. I could be really really wrong.

Until management says "Look at all the money we're missing out on by not suing everyone! We can bump out stock price by a dollar!" Also, a patent can be invalidated if the holder doesn't aggressively defend it, ie. sue everyone.

sponsored links

9,029 views & 0 likes for this thread
Amazon Patents Studio Photography on Seamless White Background
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.