Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 07 May 2014 (Wednesday) 13:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HELP with Canon Battery Charger

bogeybrown
86 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 07, 2014 13:22 |  #1

Hello All,

I apologize as I'm certain this has been asked and answered ad-nauseum, but my search-fu is failing me and I haven't found the thread solving this problem, even though I know it exists:

I have a Canon LC-E6E charger. When I plug it in, the green light comes on. When I insert a factory Canon LP-E6 battery the light remains green with no change. If I jiggle it I can get a steady red light, but that's it.

None of this matches up with that Canon says should be happening. I originally thought the issue was with aftermarket batteries so I ponied up for OEM Canon batteries. Still no luck.

On my BP-511 charger I get all the indicator lights and other cool stuff when charging my 20D batteries, but this charger/battery combo isn't doing any of that.

What am I doing wrong, please?????

Thanks All

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,765 posts
Joined May 2003

May 07, 2014 13:36 |  #2

Although not really what you are experiencing, you might try the procedure at http://www.usa.canon.c​om …il&docId=0901e0​24809ed436 (external link). Note tha at step 3, the empty charger is left plugged in. After 10 seconds approximately the battery is reinserted.

bogeybrown
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 07, 2014 14:17 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #3

Thanks John,

That actually didn't work but it gave me the brilliant:rolleyes: idea of actually calling Canon. I'm not used to being able to actually get a real person on the phone when I need assistance but Canon stepped right up and told me that the problem is with the charger itself and for me to send it in for a replacement.

SO, I still have 4 batteries with no way of charging them, but after I buy a temporary replacement charger I'll have a spare, which is always good.

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 07, 2014 16:08 |  #4

bogeybrown wrote in post #16888663 (external link)
Thanks John,

That actually didn't work but it gave me the brilliant:rolleyes: idea of actually calling Canon. I'm not used to being able to actually get a real person on the phone when I need assistance but Canon stepped right up and told me that the problem is with the charger itself and for me to send it in for a replacement.

SO, I still have 4 batteries with no way of charging them, but after I buy a temporary replacement charger I'll have a spare, which is always good.

Yeah, having 2 chargers is going to be awesome. I NEED 2 chargers now to keep myself afloat on fast paced days.

bogeybrown
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 07, 2014 18:31 |  #5

CRCchemist wrote in post #16888875 (external link)
Yeah, having 2 chargers is going to be awesome. I NEED 2 chargers now to keep myself afloat on fast paced days.

The charger situation with Canon kind of ticks me off. With my 20D I was able to buy an OEM dual charger, but I have yet to find a dual OEM charger for the LP-E6 batteries. Multiple batteries is one thing, but having to lug multiple chargers around is an unnecessary pain. Add to that the inability to charge aftermarket batteries on Canon's chargers, and they're "making" me buy an aftermarket dual charger while my factory one is being repaired since I may as well be able to charge ALL my batteries and not just the Canon brand.

I'll refrain from a separate rant on the cost of the OEM batteries :D

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 07, 2014 19:22 |  #6

Having had a charger die on me (on two separate occasions, while traveling and unable to quickly get a replacement), I prefer to travel with multiple chargers for any device I use. In fact, my last three gear upgrade choices were specifically because the new cameras used the same chargers as the older ones did. The only dual charger I'd consider these days is the Delkin (which does have LP-E6 plates), and I'd still back that up with a second charger for any battery type I use.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

bogeybrown
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 08, 2014 03:17 |  #7

Jon wrote in post #16889222 (external link)
Having had a charger die on me (on two separate occasions, while traveling and unable to quickly get a replacement), I prefer to travel with multiple chargers for any device I use. In fact, my last three gear upgrade choices were specifically because the new cameras used the same chargers as the older ones did. The only dual charger I'd consider these days is the Delkin (which does have LP-E6 plates), and I'd still back that up with a second charger for any battery type I use.

That's excellent advice Jon, Thank You.

The temporary aftermarket charger I found appears to take plates for both the 5Dii and 20D batteries so it should work nicely as a travel spare.

I also throw the battery tray for my grip into my accessories pouch so I can switch over to AAA batteries in an absolute emergency.

bogeybrown
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 08, 2014 07:23 as a reply to  @ bogeybrown's post |  #8

Jon, based on your recommendation I looked at the Delkin. Unfortunately it appears that the LP-E6 plates are no longer available?

This is completely consistent with the way things invariably go for me, where the ONE item I want/need is unobtanium. It's really not even funny anymore how often this happens to me.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 08, 2014 08:51 |  #9

I doubt they're discontinued; but they don't seem to be readily available through the "usual suspects". Can't recall where I saw them offered last.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,765 posts
Joined May 2003

May 08, 2014 08:53 |  #10

bogeybrown wrote in post #16889139 (external link)
The charger situation with Canon kind of ticks me off. With my 20D I was able to buy an OEM dual charger, but I have yet to find a dual OEM charger for the LP-E6 batteries. Multiple batteries is one thing, but having to lug multiple chargers around is an unnecessary pain. Add to that the inability to charge aftermarket batteries on Canon's chargers, and they're "making" me buy an aftermarket dual charger while my factory one is being repaired since I may as well be able to charge ALL my batteries and not just the Canon brand.

I'll refrain from a separate rant on the cost of the OEM batteries :D

I have absolutely no issues charging my SterlingTek LP-E6 batteries on the Canon charger. In addition, since the Sterling and a few other brands are often recommended as aftermarket batteries, I don't think your statement in bold is generally the case.

birderman
Goldmember
1,051 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 08, 2014 08:56 |  #11

not sure where you based Bogeybrown, but I found this on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk …rgers&hash=item​5affa316a8 (external link) it may help it may not but its got to be worth a punt.....

Birderman
London, UK
my photos on Flickr (external link)
My Website (external link) or my Facebook - KishWphotos (external link)

bogeypro
317 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 08, 2014 09:14 as a reply to  @ birderman's post |  #12

I've had no issues charging Wasabi LP-E6 batteries on a Canon charger or charging Canon LP-E6 batteries on a Wasabi charger.

bogeybrown
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 08, 2014 09:33 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #13

Right, even the Delkin website lists them as unavailable, but oddly I can still get the adapters for my 20D batteries? That seemed strange to me.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 08, 2014 09:37 |  #14

They might have discontinued the charger, and be only selling the pieces they have surplus of.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

bogeybrown
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 08, 2014 09:42 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #15

Very possible.

Through some old threads here I've now "found" the Hahnel charger from B&H that appears it may be worth a shot given the unavailability of the Delkin.

The Pearstone seems to get erratic reviews, and as I need this quickly as a replacement for my broken one for an upcoming trip, I CANNOT be hunting around on vacation for a replacement for the replacement.

sponsored links

3,565 views & 0 likes for this thread
HELP with Canon Battery Charger
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.