Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 May 2014 (Sunday) 10:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need urgent help on tripod

Exposure101
555 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

May 11, 2014 10:15 |  #1

Hi all,

I'm looking for a small, portable tripod for a trip to Europe in a week. I will be using it to support a 6d and 17-40mm lens. I have looked at a bunch of stuff and there are quite a number of options. I'm turning to you guys to help me quickly make a decision so I can order it in the next day or two and have it be here in time.

I was looking at the Gorillapod ($50 or so) but there is also the Focus version that some of you have mentioned here on the board (although I don't know if I need that much support). I was also looking at the Manfrotto Pixi Mini Tripod as well as this one here (external link). I would like some thing small enough to fit in a backpack (hence no big tripod). Anything under $100 that will provide good support for some long exposure photos would be great.

Thank you for your help!! :)

sponsored links
777guru
98 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 11, 2014 10:37 |  #2

Maybe consider a zip lock bag filled at destination with rice or similar. Anything mini tripod like is either not going to support the kind of weight which you are shooting with or be of poor quality at that price and last two minutes. Be careful about bringing in any fillings across borders!

I'm suggesting this option because:-
a, very cheap
b, reliable
c, easy to customise
d, supports camera
e, very light
f, packs very well and can be bought at destination.
g, minimises expensive, nick-able kit in hotel room/out and about

There is ALWAYS somewhere to lodge your camera on a bean bag. I travel internationally for my job and this option is my preferred method. I have found some great original angles through having to adapt an alternative composition.

777guru

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 11, 2014 10:53 |  #3

MeFoto Daytrip

http://www.amazon.com …Tripod-Blue/dp/B00DRA4CW2 (external link)

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 11, 2014 11:20 |  #4

Any reasons to go with that as opposed to a Gorillapod? Thanks!

777guru wrote in post #16896965 (external link)
Maybe consider a zip lock bag filled at destination with rice or similar. Anything mini tripod like is either not going to support the kind of weight which you are shooting with or be of poor quality at that price and last two minutes. Be careful about bringing in any fillings across borders!

I'm suggesting this option because:-
a, very cheap
b, reliable
c, easy to customise
d, supports camera
e, very light
f, packs very well and can be bought at destination.
g, minimises expensive, nick-able kit in hotel room/out and about

There is ALWAYS somewhere to lodge your camera on a bean bag. I travel internationally for my job and this option is my preferred method. I have found some great original angles through having to adapt an alternative composition.

777guru

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll keep this in mind as my style of shooting could require something a little higher off the ground.

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 11, 2014 11:36 |  #5

I had a Gorillapod Focus. I prefer traditional tripods for long exposure and stability.

Gear List & Feedback

mine1
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Jun 2012

May 11, 2014 13:12 |  #6

pretty sure there is nothing under 100 bucks that will work for you better than a bean bag. There is a guy on the 60d board that uses this cool little pod, I am trying to find out what kind it is for you.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/81190407@N08/ (external link)
Canon 60d.Canon 18-135, 55-250 II, and 10-18 stm. and Benro C-1681t Travel Angel, with Sirui K20x head.

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 11, 2014 13:16 |  #7

http://thepod.ca/ (external link)

Gear List & Feedback

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,979 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

May 11, 2014 13:33 |  #8

I chose the Gorillapod over the Mefoto for my recent trip to NYC. Turns out I rarely used it at all. It's nice to have though.

Getting better at this - Fuji X-t3 x2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 16-80 - 35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 11, 2014 14:04 |  #9

mine1 wrote in post #16897190 (external link)
pretty sure there is nothing under 100 bucks that will work for you better than a bean bag. There is a guy on the 60d board that uses this cool little pod, I am trying to find out what kind it is for you.

I am leaning toward this little tripod- UltraPod (external link). It is very portable and inexpensive to boot.

That looks very cool!! It costs as much as what I'm planning to get though (posted above).

mine1
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Jun 2012

May 11, 2014 14:59 |  #10

http://www.amazon.com …ini-Pro-...=slik+mini+pro (external link)

Here is the pod I was talking about

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/81190407@N08/ (external link)
Canon 60d.Canon 18-135, 55-250 II, and 10-18 stm. and Benro C-1681t Travel Angel, with Sirui K20x head.

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,692 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

May 11, 2014 15:23 |  #11

I've used little tripods like the ultrapod to hold speedlights, but I don't think they can support the weight of a 6D with lens. I don't know the size of your backpack, but I'd consider something like the Slik Sprint Pro with ball head. Folds down to 18.5" or even less if you remove the ball head, weighs just over 2 pounds, but opens up to eye level and has a weight capacity of 4.5 pounds. http://www.amazon.com …-II-Release/dp/B002821ESU (external link)

I understand the QR clamp is a bit fiddly, so I'd probably replace it with a standard Arca-Swiss baseplate.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

May 11, 2014 15:39 |  #12

Check this guy out. . . . folded height- 25cm :eek:

http://www.ebay.com …ipods&hash=item​3a8e40ad9d (external link)

Granted it's a bit beyond what you're looking to spend, I just saw it and thought it was pretty cool. ;)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 11, 2014 15:52 |  #13

mine1 wrote in post #16897382 (external link)
http://www.amazon.com …ini-Pro-...=slik+mini+pro (external link)

Here is the pod I was talking about

I am reading the reviews and they seem pretty positive. I might just end up getting that one. Thank you!

bumpintheroad wrote in post #16897407 (external link)
I've used little tripods like the ultrapod to hold speedlights, but I don't think they can support the weight of a 6D with lens. I don't know the size of your backpack, but I'd consider something like the Slik Sprint Pro with ball head. Folds down to 18.5" or even less if you remove the ball head, weighs just over 2 pounds, but opens up to eye level and has a weight capacity of 4.5 pounds. http://www.amazon.com …-II-Release/dp/B002821ESU (external link)

I understand the QR clamp is a bit fiddly, so I'd probably replace it with a standard Arca-Swiss baseplate.

Thank you for the link! That's a little too big I think. I was thinking something a little more inconspicuous and can easily fit in a small backpack or camera bag.

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16897439 (external link)

Granted it's a bit beyond what you're looking to spend, I just saw it and thought it was pretty cool. ;)

That's a pretty good brand. I understand a lot of members on here like it. It is too much for me though. Even if I were to buy it now it might not arrive in time for my trip. 25cm folded length would have been fantastic! Thank you for the suggestion though!

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 11, 2014 16:59 |  #14

Exposure101 wrote in post #16897290 (external link)
I am leaning toward this little tripod- UltraPod (external link). It is very portable and inexpensive to boot.

That looks very cool!! It costs as much as what I'm planning to get though (posted above).

I have that one. Works in a pinch, but I don't like that the leg angles aren't really adjustable.

Gear List & Feedback

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 11, 2014 17:01 |  #15

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16897439 (external link)

I have that on order. It won't get here in time for the OP. I ordered mine weeks ago.

I would suggest this over that Slik. $100 more, but a good deal taller.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_sec_twist_lock​_with.html (external link)

Gear List & Feedback

sponsored links

3,047 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need urgent help on tripod
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.