Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 13 May 2014 (Tuesday) 13:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

May 13, 2014 13:46 |  #1

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …il&docId=0901e0​2480beda0d (external link)

The EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM ultra wide-angle zoom lens features newly developed, high quality Canon optics that incorporate three GMo (Glass-Molded) aspheric lens elements, including a large-diameter aspheric lens, which help improve image quality by correcting aberrations. Two additional UD lens elements help reduce chromatic aberration from edge to edge throughout the entire zoom range for excellent image quality with high resolution and contrast. The lens also features enhanced fluorine lens coatings on the front and rear lens surfaces to repel dust particles and help ensure superb color balance while minimizing ghosting. The inner focusing and ring USM offer silent, fast and accurate autofocusing. Full-time manual focus adjustment is available in autofocus (AF) mode. A nine-blade circular aperture creates beautiful, soft backgrounds. A new compact four-group zoom system provides a minimum focusing distance of 0.28m/11 inches throughout the zoom range and a maximum magnification of 0.23x at the telephoto end for outstanding performance.

DRH

sponsored links
alessandro2009
Goldmember
2,095 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 01, 2014 01:54 |  #2

Seems nice.

streamer
72 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 10, 2014 13:36 as a reply to  @ post 16962770 |  #3

I've got one on order, ill post a review once I get it.

photojohn
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 25, 2014 09:52 as a reply to  @ streamer's post |  #4

I have had the lens for a few weeks now. It is very comparable to the Canon 24-70 2.8 II. It is really sharp, nice contrast, fast focus. The f/4 is slightly limiting for wedding photography but not a serious detraction. I was trying to wait to see if Canon would release a great 14-24 2.8 similar to Nikon, but I thought for the price, I would get this and I am not disappointed at all. I really like it. https://photography-on-the.net …ages/smilies/ic​on_lol.gif

Lancaster PA Wedding Photography (external link)

Birdman7
100 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 26, 2014 16:29 |  #5

photojohn wrote in post #17116422 (external link)
I have had the lens for a few weeks now. It is very comparable to the Canon 24-70 2.8 II. It is really sharp, nice contrast, fast focus. The f/4 is slightly limiting for wedding photography but not a serious detraction. I was trying to wait to see if Canon would release a great 14-24 2.8 similar to Nikon, but I thought for the price, I would get this and I am not disappointed at all. I really like it. https://photography-on-the.net …ages/smilies/ic​on_lol.gif

Nice to know, I'm considering selling my 16-35 mkII for this lens, as I don't need the extra F-stop.

Birdwatching tours
Bird Photography
Digiscoping
Gibraltar, Spain & Morocco
www.aviantours.net (external link)

drewl
466 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 27, 2014 22:55 as a reply to  @ Birdman7's post |  #6

i got it and love it.

77mm filters are a huge plus
hood that actually fits in my bag is a huge plus

but for what really matters:
it's sharper than the 2.8 II
it has IS, which more than makes up for the lost stop as far as camera shake is concerned

of course, it loses some background separation, but 2.8 and f4 aren't thaaaat different when shooting that wide.

for the price, how could i say no?

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 28, 2014 10:29 |  #7

drewl wrote in post #17121967 (external link)
i got it and love it.

77mm filters are a huge plus
hood that actually fits in my bag is a huge plus

but for what really matters:
it's sharper than the 2.8 II
it has IS, which more than makes up for the lost stop as far as camera shake is concerned

of course, it loses some background separation, but 2.8 and f4 aren't thaaaat different when shooting that wide.

for the price, how could i say no?

Agreed! I can't wait to pick one up. I'm going to hold out through the Christmas shopping season to see if any great deals on this lens surface.

Bryan

My Gear List

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 28, 2014 13:12 |  #8

I've tried the lens, and the sharpness is great - equal to the Nikon 14-24, although not as wide (sure, it's longer at the long end, but you can get the 24-35mm range from many lenses).

But f/4 is just too slow. Two major uses of the 16-35 f/2.8 are night landscapes (where you want to show the night sky, not star trails) and for low-light photography of moving subjects (e.g. street scenes, live events, people). The IS compensates for camera shake, but not motion blur due to needing twice the exposure time at f/4 as compared to f/2.8.

drewl
466 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 09, 2014 00:07 as a reply to  @ Shadowblade's post |  #9

that's why 1DX has ISO 8 million though.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 09, 2014 02:57 |  #10

drewl wrote in post #17143502 (external link)
that's why 1DX has ISO 8 million though.

Which is absolutely useless if you make large prints, need dynamic range (which you don't get at high ISO regardless of the camera) and care about image quality.

sponsored links

3,393 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.