Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 14 May 2014 (Wednesday) 01:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hasselblad H4D-60

RedCatPhoto
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2013

May 14, 2014 01:17 |  #1

Hello,

I'd have the opportunity to pick an almost mint H4D-60 (~1000 shutter actuations) with a HC 80/2.8 (and a viewfinder HV 90X II) at 10'000$.

I can't seem to find any for sale right now on ebay for price comparison. Does 10'000$ sound like a reasonable price tag for the combo?

It is a 2010 camera, would it still be a major upgrade compared to a 5D3 for portraits and general studio shoots? The major improvements seem to be more megapixels, better dynamic range, better colors (especially skin tones) and flash sync of 1/800.

Thanks for your inputs.

JM - facebook (external link) - website (external link) - gear list

sponsored links
pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 14, 2014 01:38 |  #2

The entire point of medium format, and medium format digital is extreme, and, superior resolution. ALL of the available lenses are far and above superior, OPTICALLY, to their 35mm format counterparts.

As far as the price goes, I know little about hasselblad stuff(other than, I don't like it...) but the same statement adobe applies to all of hasselblad gear. Optically, its wonderful, The software you are forced to use, Phocus.... is a pain.

As far as studio work goes, Nothing is superior to a medium format digital camera. Sure, a 35mm format camera is easier to handle, but if you are competent, what ever that may means, the medium format digital camera is THE way to go in the studio.

I use a Phaseone H25(v mount only...) with an adapter plate to a Mamiya RZ67. I HATE the complication of dealign with all of it, but man, when all of the stuff is set up, it makes nailing the shot SO easy.

File sizes are gigantic, TIFFs are in the neighborhood of 250 megabits.... each...

As far as better colors are concerned, meh, all lenses render colors about the same up to some white balance... anyone who claims other wise just needs to show me a color spectrum for each color and I **may** be convinced....

what IS FAR FAR more important is the fact that the BIT DEPTH is larger than in a 35mm format(for now...for now...). You are given significantly more lattitude when editing - which is where color matters most.

I would strongly recommend that you call Doug Peterson at digital transitions, tomorrow and pick his brain.

Ive only gone back to a 35mm camera for the price...I could not turn down a 5D2 for $1000 when I have a 70-200mm sitting in the closet... and I just needed to get out and shoot again. I still have the phase, and it kicks butt in the studio.

Id recommend the mamiya/phaseone platform over the hasselblad system because its more "open" and capture one can tether to your iPhone/iPad, which makes tethering in a studio extremely, extremely useful. I still need to get an iPad, but being able to see what you shoot with minimal delay show up on your iDevice is pretty nifty...

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

bespoke
710 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 14, 2014 03:03 |  #3

very nice price. i only see one other one for sale at the moment and it's at 12000 with no lens.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/in​dex.php?topic=88334.0 (external link)

the image files will put your 5d3 files to shame. the handling and work flow... well.. it's for not for everyone so you may want to test one out for a couple sessions.

Toronto Fashion Photographer (external link)
5D3 & 5D2s | 24 TS-E II, 24-70 II, 85L II, 100L, 70-200L II, 35 & 85 Zeiss ZE, Samyang 14, Sigma 50
Hasselblads + Leaf Aptus MFDB, Fuji X100, Epson 3880/9890

PhotosGuy
75,804 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

May 14, 2014 08:49 |  #4

pyrojim wrote in post #16903233 (external link)
The entire point of medium format, and medium format digital is extreme, and, superior resolution. ALL of the available lenses are far and above superior, OPTICALLY, to their 35mm format counterparts.

While that might be true in some cases, it's not true in all of them. Typically, the larger the format, the less resolution the lenses deliver because they don't have to.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 14, 2014 13:04 |  #5

PhotosGuy wrote in post #16903630 (external link)
While that might be true in some cases, it's not true in all of them. Typically, the larger the format, the less resolution the lenses deliver because they don't have to.

Except for the fact that those lenses deliver extreme(and again superior) sharpness even with 80 megapixel backs. Softness isn't showing up yet. Trust me.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,832 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 23, 2014 04:22 |  #6

True, digital medium format is something else or another class, mostly with newer models, and Hasselblad H4 with their lenses are no exceptional in quality superiority.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,156 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 23, 2014 09:01 |  #7

My P45+ makes shots from the 5D3 look like they were taken with a flip-phone. The cameras are harder to work with, and it's a much slower process shooting medium format.

When I bought into a medium format rig, which raw conversion software I could use was important to me. I found I didn't like Hasselblad's Phocus software as much as Capture One. So I went with the Phase One system.

Hassy has some really cool lenses available, like the 100/2.2. The Phase One DF+ body lets you use all the Mamiya 645 lenses, and even allows focus confirm. The old Mamiya 80/1.9N is pretty awesome on 645 digital.

https://www.facebook.c​om/FotonFoto (external link)

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,635 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 23, 2014 15:35 |  #8

Very nice. No idea on the price but photography is costly enough for me. I know if I ever dip my toes into medium format it would be cheaper for me to develop a coke habit.

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jul 23, 2014 15:40 |  #9

RedCatPhoto wrote in post #16903211 (external link)
Hello,

I'd have the opportunity to pick an almost mint H4D-60 (~1000 shutter actuations) with a HC 80/2.8 (and a viewfinder HV 90X II) at 10'000$.

I can't seem to find any for sale right now on ebay for price comparison. Does 10'000$ sound like a reasonable price tag for the combo?

It is a 2010 camera, would it still be a major upgrade compared to a 5D3 for portraits and general studio shoots? The major improvements seem to be more megapixels, better dynamic range, better colors (especially skin tones) and flash sync of 1/800.

Thanks for your inputs.

That sounds like a good deal. Like the other respondent said... Every top studio photographer has a medium format in their bag.

Tareq
17,832 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 23, 2014 16:42 |  #10

And how many dedicated or mostly a studio shooter here? Sounds the majority of this site are not pro and not so dedicated studio shooters to justify digital medium format.

I bought it just for pure quality and fun, i saved long long time until i could afford it, and i did it, even it is in the bag untouched but i know it will be my first choice always if studio+lighting is involving.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

RedCatPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 24, 2014 00:23 |  #11

I couldn't get the deal, the guy selling was nowhere to be heard of at some point :( and obviously I can't find any other deal like this one. I'll wait some more and maybe get the Pentax 645Z depending on the reviews...

JM - facebook (external link) - website (external link) - gear list

Tareq
17,832 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 24, 2014 00:28 |  #12

Ok, sorry to hear that you missed the deal, it was great deal, and having a 60mp is something nice, hope you can be happy with Pentax 645Z instead.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

pat.kane
668 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 26, 2014 13:46 |  #13

Here's another 60mp option, but a little more expensive:
http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/13088​41 (external link)

Just posting for info, and it is NOT my ad

1Dx Mk II, 5D4 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

SuffolkGal
437 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 31, 2014 17:12 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

RedCatPhoto wrote in post #17052329 (external link)
I couldn't get the deal, the guy selling was nowhere to be heard of at some point :( and obviously I can't find any other deal like this one. I'll wait some more and maybe get the Pentax 645Z depending on the reviews...

Or the Phase One .. ?

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 31, 2014 17:20 |  #15

the flying moose wrote in post #17051438 (external link)
Very nice. No idea on the price but photography is costly enough for me. I know if I ever dip my toes into medium format it would be cheaper for me to develop a coke habit.

Just shoot film, You get a very nice complete kit for $500-1,000.
If you want to dip your toes a $100 TLR can leave you speechless.

$5 a roll $10 to develop and scan, it can be done cheap.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

sponsored links

5,817 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hasselblad H4D-60
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.