Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 14 May 2014 (Wednesday) 15:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ground-To-Air Photography Basics. Before That First Airshow

jwol
797 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 14, 2014 15:43 |  #1

Heading out to the airshow for the first time armed with that brand new DSLR? Frustrated with the results you got at the last airshow? I wrote a blog that will help you get started.

Some Ground-To-Air Photography Basics. Before That First Airshow (external link)

IMAGE: http://www.fly-by-photography.com/img/s1/v48/p509058840-3.jpg

John Lackey
Fly By Photography (external link)
Blog (external link)

Radial engines don't actually leak oil, by the way. They just mark their territory!

sponsored links
bsmotril
Goldmember
2,505 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2006

May 22, 2014 15:24 |  #2

Good Stuff! Thank you for sharing this.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

jwol
THREAD ­ STARTER
797 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 22, 2014 19:55 as a reply to  @ bsmotril's post |  #3

You're welcome.

John Lackey
Blog (external link)

Radial engines don't actually leak oil, by the way. They just mark their territory!

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,854 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 23, 2014 14:37 |  #4

Good, basic advice. I use the same settings, except a slightly slower SS (1/120) and I run +1/3 or +2/3EV if there's a bright sky so I don't end up with a lot of silhouetted planes. Same thing for birding. You just need to closely check your blinkies to make sure you're not blowing out cloud details.

Mark J.
Gear

JakeF150FX4
394 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 24, 2014 09:16 |  #5

Thanks!

I'm a bit newbie I have 7D

I have 70-300L it has 1 and 2 mode so which one mode I should set? And where the heck do I find Manual AF Point Selection in menu eh?

Thanks

7D, 50 1.8, 15-85, 70-300L

jwol
THREAD ­ STARTER
797 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 24, 2014 16:54 |  #6

M_Six wrote in post #16925149 (external link)
Good, basic advice. I use the same settings, except a slightly slower SS (1/120) and I run +1/3 or +2/3EV if there's a bright sky so I don't end up with a lot of silhouetted planes. Same thing for birding. You just need to closely check your blinkies to make sure you're not blowing out cloud details.

Thanks. My shutter speed for props is usually lower too, sometimes a lot lower. I didn't want to delve into exposure comp just yet. Its just the basics in this one.

I've got a few friends that are brand new to aviation photography. My main goal here was to get folks' cameras set-up properly, get them familiar with some basics and get a little practice under their belts. If they do as I say in the blog, then, when we meet up, I can walk them through proper panning technique, exposure comp and other details.

John Lackey
Blog (external link)

jwol
THREAD ­ STARTER
797 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 24, 2014 17:22 |  #7

JakeF150FX4 wrote in post #16926747 (external link)
Thanks!

I'm a bit newbie I have 7D

I have 70-300L it has 1 and 2 mode so which one mode I should set? And where the heck do I find Manual AF Point Selection in menu eh?

Thanks

For IS modes, 1 is for stationary objects. If you are shooting statics, choose Mode 1. Mode 2 is for panning, so for anything flying, choose Mode 2.

To select auto-focus points, press the button furthest to the right on the back of the camera. It's right above the magnifying glass with the + symbol on it. You'll see the entire auto-focus grid light up in the view finder. Now, depress the M-fn button located behind the shutter button. Each time you press the M-fn button, a different focus point mode is shown. When the mode that illuminates a single focus point in the center of the auto-focus grid shows up, you are there. Now, half-press the shutter button to get out of the selection process. Use the mini joy-stick on the back of the camera to move the single auto-focus point.

See, just like I said in the blog, this site is a great resource.

John Lackey
Blog (external link)

JakeF150FX4
394 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 24, 2014 18:02 as a reply to  @ jwol's post |  #8

I got it!

Thanks!!!

7D, 50 1.8, 15-85, 70-300L

onedcharette
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2016

Mar 13, 2016 12:33 |  #9

I know this is two years old but doing a search produced this gem.... following the link had some excellent information. thank you!

jwol
THREAD ­ STARTER
797 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 14, 2016 19:05 |  #10

onedcharette wrote in post #17933872 (external link)
I know this is two years old but doing a search produced this gem.... following the link had some excellent information. thank you!

Thanks, glad to help.

John Lackey
Blog (external link)

fotoi
940 posts
Gallery: 378 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2012

May 12, 2016 16:44 |  #11

jwol wrote in post #16904434 (external link)
Heading out to the airshow for the first time armed with that brand new DSLR? Frustrated with the results you got at the last airshow? I wrote a blog that will help you get started.

Some Ground-To-Air Photography Basics. Before That First Airshow (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

Thank you for the useful information in your original post.

I'll be attending an air show in the U.S. next month and have a question. I shoot with the Canon 5D MkIII; do you think the Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS II USM mounted on a sturdy, tall tripod with a gimbal head is a good option, or should I just stick with my Canon 100-400 mm zoom and no tripod. I'll be taking mostly photos of formation flying and plan to attend for about 5-6 hours. Thanks.

PhotosGuy
75,300 posts
Joined Feb 2004

May 12, 2016 18:40 |  #12

For formation, you'd probably be better off with the 100-400. But personally, I'd want the 600 for individual shots.

More, Shooting airshows in Manual

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,697 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by BigAl007.

May 14, 2016 11:27 |  #13

I would skip the tripod, they can be real difficult to manage, since you have to move around it, rather than bringing the camera around you. I much prefer to use a shoulder stock type arrangement to steady the system, you then swing the whole thing like a shotgun, this is much easier than using either a tripod or monopod, or handholding. In the past I have used a dedicated system, but now I am using one that I built using one of those 15mm tube systems that are sold for building DSLR video rigs from.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from BigAl007's gallery.

HOSTED PHOTO

These pictures show my Sigma 150-600 C and my 50D mounted on my rig. When in use I use a remote release gaffer taped to the front handle.

From long experience I would not want to shoot any airshow on a 35mm format camera with anything less than a 600mm lens. I know conditions in the UK are different as our safety distances from crowd line to flight line are significantly bigger here, but I often struggle to fill even 50% of the APS-C frame at 600mm. Back in the film days I shot with a 400mm lens and mostly it was just hugely short even at the smaller UK show locations.

Just to show what using the shoulder pod allows these shots were taken using the rig above. They were shot at a shutter speed of 1/160s @ 600mm I then had to add an additional 1.5× crop. The crop is what you have left if you crop from a horizontal to a vertical orientation (although I rotate back to horizontal), this removes 55.6% of the total number of pixels. The equivalent focal length for the shot would be 900mm. To match that on a 35mm format sensor would require a 1440mm lens:eek:.

HOSTED PHOTO

The show that I shot these images at ran for over four hours, and I must have shot over a dozen keepers that required that amount of cropping while at 600mm. I really would like the Sigma 1401 teleconverter and an f/8 AF capable body. The shoulder stock and using OS really works.

Alan

I should have said the rig cost about £30 off of Amazon, my daughter bought it for me as a present so I'm not sure of the exact price, or which item it is on there. Also although they are only web sized images, the 16×12 prints look great, at an optical enlargement of 27× and I would not hesitate to print them at 30×20 (50× optical enlargement) or even 36×24.

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,300 posts
Joined Feb 2004

May 14, 2016 11:39 |  #14

BigAl007 wrote in post #18006850 (external link)
I would skip the tripod, they can be real difficult to manage, since you have to move around it, rather than bringing the camera around you.

I didn't use one, but for something like the 600mm, & since there's often a lot of time going by between AC in those shows, the guys with the big glass can keep the heavy rig up out of the grass & out of the way of the kids running around. And coupled with a quick release, it's only one second to get it off & up to shoot.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,697 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 14, 2016 12:06 |  #15

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18006861 (external link)
I didn't use one, but for something like the 600mm, & since there's often a lot of time going by between AC in those shows, the guys with the big glass can keep the heavy rig up out of the grass & out of the way of the kids running around. And coupled with a quick release, it's only one second to get it off & up to shoot.

Actually that would still be an idea with the shoulder rig for shooting. There is a 1/4" Whitworth thread on the bottom of the rig that would take a quick release plate. It's not such a problem for me, being in a wheelchair it's simpler to put it in my lap while I am waiting. I just would never try shooting from a tripod, I did try using one for a couple of years, but stopped using them over 35 years ago. I tried them for cine too, but since you need to use the OVF for a cine camera you hit the same limitation back then in the 70's. They would work much better nowadays for video work, since you have the large screen for framing the shot. I have sometimes thought about the Sigma 300-800 on a tripod and using liveview, but I have always been a little disappointed with LV with the 50D. I don't know how much better the new bodies with Dual pixel AF are, it would still depend on how they handle the screen blackout along with the length of it.

Another option I have considered is having an engineer friend of mine build me a Scarff ring (external link) for my wheelchair. If it could handle a pair of Lewis guns, I would think it would cope with a 300-800 or even the 200-500 f/2.8 :-P.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

7,280 views & 10 likes for this thread
Ground-To-Air Photography Basics. Before That First Airshow
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.