Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 May 2014 (Saturday) 07:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF-S lenses in the future ?

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 17, 2014 07:50 |  #1

I have a 60D and I enjoy it greatly. I have no near-term desire to upgrade. I would like to expand my lens range with a 10-22 in the near future.

I have the kit 18-135 lens and a 28 1.8 lens. If I get the 10-22 lens, I would have two EF-S lenses.

If my 60D camera fails or I drop it, etc. I would most probably upgrade the body to a 6D.

Who knows what the future holds. Do you think Canon would ever engineer into their full frame cameras the ability to use EF-S lenses?

I hate to invest in lenses that would be rendered useless if I upgraded to a FF body that could use the S lenses.

Plunking down $400-700 per lens gets expensive. You want lenses to be a long-term investment, but with the FF restrictions on S lenses long-term may not happen.

sponsored links
Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

May 17, 2014 08:04 |  #2

viperbass wrote in post #16910580 (external link)
I have a 60D and I enjoy it greatly. I have no near-term desire to upgrade. I would like to expand my lens range with a 10-22 in the near future.

I have the kit 18-135 lens and a 28 1.8 lens. If I get the 10-22 lens, I would have two EF-S lenses.

If my 60D camera fails or I drop it, etc. I would most probably upgrade the body to a 6D.

Who knows what the future holds. Do you think Canon would ever engineer into their full frame cameras the ability to use EF-S lenses?

I hate to invest in lenses that would be rendered useless if I upgraded to a FF body that could use the S lenses.

Plunking down $400-700 per lens gets expensive. You want lenses to be a long-term investment, but with the FF restrictions on S lenses long-term may not happen.

In reality, you can still sell them for what amounts to cheap rental. The better EF-S lenses like the 17-55 or 10-22 hold a pretty good resale value as long as they are properly cared for. I could fund most of a refurb 6D and a 17-40 L just by selling my 3 EF-S lenses.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,574 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 17, 2014 09:33 |  #3

Buy the new EF-S 10-18 IS when it comes out ($299). How badly wrong can such an 'investment' go?

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,239 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

May 17, 2014 09:48 |  #4

Do you think Canon would ever engineer into their full frame cameras the ability to use EF-S lenses?

It would be physically impossible because the rear of a Canon EF-S lens extends farther into the mirror box and will interfere with the Full Frame mirror as it swings up or down.

That is why EF-S lenses currently have an extra protrusion that won't allow it to mount on a FF camera. Third party "Crop" lenses don't extend as far and also don't have the "protrusion" on the lens mount, so they CAN be mounted on FF cameras without hitting the mirror.

If you were to modify the Canon EF-S mount, or use a 3rd party lens, most crop lenses will vignette very badly on a FF camera. You could then crop the image to remove the vignetting, but then you are back to a crop camera, so why bother.

The best solution is to sell the EF-S lenses as they do retain reasonable re-sale value.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

May 17, 2014 10:27 |  #5

Never going to happen. The whole point of EF-S lenses is that they are cheaper to build because they can use a smaller image circle, and also can physically project into the body, because they don't have to be made to work on FF.

Some, that don't project far enough back to hit a FF mirror, can be altered to physically fit a FF camera, but the image circle is only designed to cover the smaller sensor, so the corners of a FF sensor will be outside the image circle, giving the heavy vignetting that msowsun mentions.

There is no logic in expecting Canon to decide that that they can make a cheaper set of lenses for crop cameras, if they don't have to make them fit FF as well, then deciding to alter FF cameras to take them.

It can be done, if you go the Nikon route of allowing FF camera bodies to have a crop mode that effectively just records the same sensor area as a crop camera, but that takes a massive resolution hit. It could easily be done yourself with a 6D of course, simply by shooting FF and then cropping off all the vignetting in editing. However, even that solution by Nikon wouldn't work with EF-S lenses that protrude into the mirror path.

But there is no way of getting a FF body, to shoot a regular FF image with a crop lens through the whole of its focal range, the image circle just isn't big enough.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,134 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

May 17, 2014 10:36 |  #6

of course not.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

CollegeKid
475 posts
Joined Mar 2014

May 17, 2014 21:32 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

I use a 60D and a 6D. I have the 10-22, 15-85, and 60 2.8, all of which are EF-S. The rest of my lenses are Canon EF or third-party EF-mount. Oh, I also have a Canon P&S and an old Kodak 35mm film camera. I don't see a problem with having more than one format.

Buy what you need now. Sell what you don't need later. Don't try to worry about both at the same time.

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 18, 2014 00:28 |  #8

No. If your that worried then just buy EF only lenses.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

May 18, 2014 02:20 |  #9

In 10 years from now, i don't think there will be APS-C sensors mounted on Reflex or Alike (if Reflex still exist)
Everything tend to go to the original 35mm size, the price of FF sensor going down every year, even cellphone manufacturer put bigger sensors in their products.

I don't want to be negative, but one day for sure EF-S will just stop to be produced, just because of the evolution of the size the sensors.

You should not forgot why the APS-C exist, it exist only because 10 - 15 years ago it was very hard and outstandingly expensive to build a full frame sensor, witch is not anymore the case today ...

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Frodge
Goldmember
3,076 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

May 18, 2014 05:40 |  #10

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #16912211 (external link)
In 10 years from now, i don't think there will be APS-C sensors mounted on Reflex or Alike (if Reflex still exist)
Everything tend to go to the original 35mm size, the price of FF sensor going down every year, even cellphone manufacturer put bigger sensors in their products.

I don't want to be negative, but one day for sure EF-S will just stop to be produced, just because of the evolution of the size the sensors.

You should not forgot why the APS-C exist, it exist only because 10 - 15 years ago it was very hard and outstandingly expensive to build a full frame sensor, witch is not anymore the case today ...

This may well be true, but people started to realize that crop has its own usefulness on its own. Go ask anyone that shoots nature or long. I feel Canon and Nikon are stuck with aps-c because of the fact that it has it's own market because of the size, not only the cost.

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

May 18, 2014 05:52 |  #11

I have a 60D and I enjoy it greatly. I have no near-term desire to upgrade. ....

I would most probably upgrade the body to a 6D.

Do you think Canon would ever engineer into their full frame cameras the ability to use EF-S lenses?

I hate to invest in lenses that would be rendered useless

If you want an ultrawide for your 60D, but don't want it to be rendered useless if you upgrade, you should consider the tokina 11-16 f/2.8.
It is made for APS-C bodies but can be used on FF (with interesting results).

Check out this post from this thread.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,374 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2012

May 18, 2014 06:36 |  #12

The deciding factor in all of this is how much the consumer can afford to spend. 15 years ago people with affordable income were spending £400 plus on a p/s camera. A DSLR cost £2.5k. Today they're spending over a grand on a camera. An entry level DSLR costs £400 plus. Photography has always been split into two distinct camps:- The snapshot takers and the enthusiasts. The latter have always been prepared to pay for gear. Years ago it was Brownies vs Slr, today it's iPhone vs DSLR. If Canon or Nikon thinks that the majority of DSLR photographers want to go FF hen they'll phase out crops. Part of this will be in deciding the desire over affordability factor, ie will the desire for FF outweigh the practicality of buying one as happened with Vcrs in the 80s and cellular phones in the 90s. Usually, something price related sparks off a rush like Sanyo's £299.00 vcr or pay as you go phones. Canon will be watching the market very closely to try and determine when that point in time will arrive and only make the move then. Personally. I think it will be the sub £1000 point.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

CollegeKid
475 posts
Joined Mar 2014

May 18, 2014 07:06 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #16912211 (external link)

I disagree. Both full-frame and APSc dSLRs will still be mass market when my grandchildren start buying cameras.

The printing press did not kill education.
The television did not kill radio.
The internet did not kill television.
The I-Pad did not kill the computer.

The Post Office, film and newspapers are dying a slow agonizing death, though. Why? Convenience. What they do is more conveniently done in other ways. To keep SLRs a mass-appeal item, manufacturers will have to build in all the goodies lots of us don't like, such as GPS, WIFI and other non-photographic features. That, and the higher IQ afforded by an APS-c sensor, will keep APSc going as long as mothers have children, and humans have egos. Full frame models will always offer more high-end photo related features, and better IQ, better DOF control and durability. Both will be here when all of us are long gone.

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

May 18, 2014 08:06 |  #14

CollegeKid wrote in post #16912394 (external link)
I disagree. Both full-frame and APSc dSLRs will still be mass market when my grandchildren start buying cameras.

The printing press did not kill education.
The television did not kill radio.
The internet did not kill television.
The I-Pad did not kill the computer.

The Post Office, film and newspapers are dying a slow agonizing death, though. Why? Convenience. What they do is more conveniently done in other ways. To keep SLRs a mass-appeal item, manufacturers will have to build in all the goodies lots of us don't like, such as GPS, WIFI and other non-photographic features. That, and the higher IQ afforded by an APS-c sensor, will keep APSc going as long as mothers have children, and humans have egos. Full frame models will always offer more high-end photo related features, and better IQ, better DOF control and durability. Both will be here when all of us are long gone.

Hahahaha
Totally non sens, compare things than can be comparable !
BTW you forgot : Autofocus have killed FD mount, and sensor have killed film ;)

And we can predict :
FF have killed APS-C in the Reflex

FF is already taking APS-C's sells part, each brand start to put FF in a lower end or cheaper and cheaper camera to be competitive.
Just look at the Alpha 7s = Mirrorless, FF and 4k movie $ 2500 !! you think that Canon and Nikon will not react ?
Unless your are blind i let you continue to believe in the APS-C in the Reflex ( even the Reflex is called to disappear, i can't believe that my grandson will use a Reflex hahaha )

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

CollegeKid
475 posts
Joined Mar 2014

May 18, 2014 08:53 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #16912473 (external link)
Hahahaha
Totally non sens, compare things than can be comparable !
BTW you forgot : Autofocus have killed FD mount, and sensor have killed film ;)

And we can predict :
FF have killed APS-C in the Reflex

FF is already taking APS-C's sells part, each brand start to put FF in a lower end or cheaper and cheaper camera to be competitive.
Just look at the Alpha 7s = Mirrorless, FF and 4k movie $ 2500 !! you think that Canon and Nikon will not react ?
Unless your are blind i let you continue to believe in the APS-C in the Reflex ( even the Reflex is called to disappear, i can't believe that my grandson will use a Reflex hahaha )

Lighten up, dude. I have an opinion. So what? People have been predicting the end of APSc since at least 2004. I don't see it. You do. Great. Keep your subscription to this thread. I'll update when one of my grandchildren buys a camera.

sponsored links

4,309 views & 0 likes for this thread
EF-S lenses in the future ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.