Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 May 2014 (Tuesday) 10:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Merging LR catalogus from laptop to Desktop

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 20, 2014 10:15 |  #1

Hi everyone,

When I'm on vacation, I bring my laptop to process photos on Lightroom, but I still use my desktop to process 95% of my photos.

Basically, I want to be able to process photos on my laptop, and then when I load the photos to my desktop, I want to keep my edits I did on my laptop, to be automatically done on my desktop.

Does anybody know if this is possible and how it's done?

(btw, I use LR4)

Thanks in advance!

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

sponsored links
DGStinner
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

May 20, 2014 10:20 |  #2

You can create a catalog from existing photos in Lightroom by selecting the photos and exporting them as a new catalog. Then, if desired, you can merge the new catalog with another catalog. This is useful when, for example, you initially import photos into a catalog on a laptop computer and then you want to add the photos to a master catalog on a desktop computer.

Select the photos you want to add to the new catalog.
Choose File > Export As Catalog.
Specify the name and location of the catalog.
Indicate whether you want to export the negative files and previews, and then click Save (Windows) or Export Catalog (Mac OS).
“Negative files” refers to the original files that were imported into Lightroom.
The new catalog contains the selected photos and their information. You must open the new catalog to view it.
(Optional) To combine catalogs, import the new catalog into another. See Import photos from a different Lightroom catalog.

http://help.adobe.com …14-4351-ADD9-0849ED8B2195 (external link)

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

Digitally_Altered
Goldmember
1,321 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 20, 2014 10:27 |  #3

Looks like some handy info, thanks

5D mkIV, 2x)7D mkII, 500 f4L IS mkII, 100-400L IS mkII, 70-200 2.8L IS mkII, 24-70 2.8L mkII, 16-35 2.8L mkIII, 100 2.8L IS, 600EX-RT x4

[Hyuni]
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 20, 2014 10:39 |  #4

DGStinner wrote in post #16917149 (external link)
You can create a catalog from existing photos in Lightroom by selecting the photos and exporting them as a new catalog. Then, if desired, you can merge the new catalog with another catalog. This is useful when, for example, you initially import photos into a catalog on a laptop computer and then you want to add the photos to a master catalog on a desktop computer.

Select the photos you want to add to the new catalog.
Choose File > Export As Catalog.
Specify the name and location of the catalog.
Indicate whether you want to export the negative files and previews, and then click Save (Windows) or Export Catalog (Mac OS).
“Negative files” refers to the original files that were imported into Lightroom.
The new catalog contains the selected photos and their information. You must open the new catalog to view it.
(Optional) To combine catalogs, import the new catalog into another. See Import photos from a different Lightroom catalog.

http://help.adobe.com …14-4351-ADD9-0849ED8B2195 (external link)

This is amazing.

Thanks for the thourough response! Totally going to do this tonight.

I always hate processing photos on my laptop because I wasn't able to save the edits when I load them to my desktop. This will be great!

Thanks again!

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

May 20, 2014 10:41 |  #5

You're welcome. I knew it was possible but haven't been using Lightroom that long. Took me 2 seconds to google 'merge catalogs lightroom 4'. The link above was the second or third result.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 20, 2014 14:24 |  #6

Yeah, this is pretty common for those of us who have done "portable"stuff and who use Lightroom or another Raw processor. You need a way of copying/moving your work to your workstation. In Photoshop Bridge/Adobe Camera Raw, the default is to copy your work into an xmp "sidecar" which you copy with the Raw files. With Lightroom the default is to store your work in the Catalog, which you can use the above method to Export and then copy the catalog file(s) with the images to your workstation. You can in Lightroom alternatively choose to use the xmp sidecar method, some actually have LR set to do that by default, but others are quite happy to stick with the "catalog" approach. Just make sure that with the catalog that your image folders are "integrated" with the catalog, so that as you copy/move the catalog and images you don't "lose" the references/locality of the images, otherwise you'll need to work with LR to "find the missing images/folders" (doable but less efficient)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

850 views & 0 likes for this thread
Merging LR catalogus from laptop to Desktop
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.