Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 13 Feb 2006 (Monday) 11:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Space Needle

msad1217
217 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 13, 2006 11:35 |  #1

Can someone give me some tips on how I could have taken this better. I mean, how is the composition, metering, focus, etc. Thanks. Trying to improve my landscape shooting ability, and I feel like I am feeling miserably. Thanks for looking.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 503

-Manny
My Gear List
"Most People Run A Race To See Who Is Fastest, I Run A Race To See Who Has The Most Guts." - Pre

sponsored links
adebass
873 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 13, 2006 11:47 |  #2

To me the composition looks ok. Im not sure if the tower is straight but thats easy to fix. If your shooting a jet of water like this you will always struggle in these conditions, simply as there is hardly any contrast with the sky in the background. Other than waiting for more oppertune conditions im not sure how to solve that problem. And dont be too hard on yourself, granted im no expert but i think you have a nice eye for landscape shots and none ive seen have hugely missed the mark (unlike 50% of mine). Keep it up.

Dr Adrian Bass (www.adrian-bass.fotopic.net (external link))
EOS 5D + BG-E4 grip, EOS 10D + BG-E3 grip
Canon EF 24-105L, Tokina 19-35mm,
Sigma 50-500mm

duncanidaho332
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 13, 2006 11:54 |  #3

msad1217 wrote:
Can someone give me some tips on how I could have taken this better. I mean, how is the composition, metering, focus, etc.

I think the exposure is pretty damn good. Nice details in the clouds. Not sure you need much help there!

Its a nice shot, but it needs a little something.... more. Perhaps I would have tried walking to the right a little bit to get the water jets on the first third and the tower on the second third - trying to separate the two a little.

Then I would be tempted to edit the jets in Photoshop so that it looks as though you could see the top of them. I wouldn't try to make the jets and the tower the same height, I think that would look a little too contrived.

Hope this helps.

Tony.

msad1217
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 13, 2006 12:22 |  #4

Thanks for the encouragement Adrian. I do think I am putting too much pressure on myself.
Yeah, a blue sky in the background would have been nice.

I see what you mean Tony, I shouldn't have centered the fountain. Always need to keep thinking about the rule of thirds. Maybe I need to get that rule of thirds grid for my viewfinder.

-Manny
My Gear List
"Most People Run A Race To See Who Is Fastest, I Run A Race To See Who Has The Most Guts." - Pre

rudgej
Couch-potato photographer
5,613 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 13, 2006 15:08 |  #5

I think the photo is fine as is Manny. Suggested improvements might be to have positioned the people to the left of the central water fountain so that they led the viewers eye from front left to back right on the Needle (rather than everything being on the right-hand side. I'm also curious as to why you stopped down to f/2.8. Why so extreme?

msad1217
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 13, 2006 16:45 as a reply to  @ rudgej's post |  #6

rudgej wrote:
I think the photo is fine as is Manny. Suggested improvements might be to have positioned the people to the left of the central water fountain so that they led the viewers eye from front left to back right on the Needle (rather than everything being on the right-hand side. I'm also curious as to why you stopped down to f/2.8. Why so extreme?

Thanks John. About the aperture, I was shooting in M mode and wanted to shoot at a certain speed to freeze the water movement. When metering off to the right or left of the Needle, I set my speed to 1/250 and adjusted the aperture until my meter showed the correct exposure of f/2.8. I do this to learn about different kinds of set up, how the picture would look like if I adjusted the f/value to this or if I adjust the shutter speed this way. Basically just trying to learn to shoot in M mode more.

-Manny
My Gear List

Dimitri_V
Cream of the Crop
9,221 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 13, 2006 17:50 as a reply to  @ adebass's post |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

adebass wrote:
To me the composition looks ok. Im not sure if the tower is straight but thats easy to fix. If your shooting a jet of water like this you will always struggle in these conditions, simply as there is hardly any contrast with the sky in the background. Other than waiting for more oppertune conditions im not sure how to solve that problem. And dont be too hard on yourself, granted im no expert but i think you have a nice eye for landscape shots and none ive seen have hugely missed the mark (unlike 50% of mine). Keep it up.

I`m gonna second every word Adrian said , i couldn`t have said it any better.
The only thing i can see is the bright sky,but unless you stay there and wait , there is not much else you can do.

My site (external link)http://www.earthsbeaut​ytours.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,106 views & 0 likes for this thread
Space Needle
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.