Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 25 May 2014 (Sunday) 17:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

From a local paintball event

paintcheck
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

May 25, 2014 17:51 |  #1

Just looking for a bit of CONSTRUCTIVE feedback on this. Over the winter I have worked really hard to get my skills up to par and working on shot comp. Now that spring has finally sprung (hopefully.. it was snowing there two days before this picture was taken), I'm being able to see just how well my 2.8 can really do.

I am still working on my skills in post edit, which is mainly what I'm looking for feedback on.

Thank you everyone.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1203.photobuck​et.com …c18/20140518-_MG_7923.jpg (external link)

Camera(s): 7D, (wishing for a 5dm3)
Lenses: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC / Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 / Canon Nifty Fifty / Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5
Cards: 16GB/32Gb SanDisks CF

sponsored links
Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

May 25, 2014 18:07 |  #2

Given what you’ve got to work with, specifically, the lack of faces, I like it.

The wheelchair person IS looking at the camera, so there is come connection for the viewer there - even though the face is hidden.

The fact that he is in red, and that most of the rest of the shot is more or less devoid of color, helps to anchor him (her?) as the subject.

Given that the furthest back person has umpire’s stripes, I assume he his some sort of official. I don’t know if he is helping the composition - did you consider cropping?

One other thing, I might select the shirt on the person bending over and lighten it to further separate the subject. For the same reason, I would select the blues on him and partially desaturate them.

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

May 25, 2014 18:12 |  #3

Radtech1 wrote in post #16929777 (external link)
Given what you’ve got to work with, specifically, the lack of faces, I like it.

The wheelchair person IS looking at the camera, so there is come connection for the viewer there - even though the face is hidden.

The fact that he is in red, and that most of the rest of the shot is more or less devoid of color, helps to anchor him (her?) as the subject.

Given that the furthest back person has umpire’s stripes, I assume he his some sort of official. I don’t know if he is helping the composition - did you consider cropping?

One other thing, I might select the shirt on the person bending over and lighten it to further separate the subject. For the same reason, I would select the blues on him and partially desaturate them.

Rad

This shot was taken from approx 50-60 ft in the air on a skylift.

It is a him, he caught my attention because he was just rollin' around shootin' people. The stripes guy is a ref that was assigned to him as well. I did crop the picture down a bit but I was afraid of cropping it more.

Didn't think about desaturating the blues. I'll bring it back up in lightroom and look at it. Thanks!

Lenses: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC / Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 / Canon Nifty Fifty / Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 25, 2014 20:23 |  #4

The most problematic aspect of the photo for me is that I don't know what I'm looking at--the figures are all overlapping and it isn't clear what any of them are doing.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

planet5D
251 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2012

May 26, 2014 15:10 |  #5

Have to agree with Christopher here... sorry but the image does nothing for me. I don't have a clue what is going on just by looking at the photo. If you didn't tell me it was paintball, I never would have known. That means it can't stand on it's own.

Light L16: http://lightRumors.co
the premier community for Light L16 owners

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,994 posts
Gallery: 287 photos
Joined Jun 2009

May 27, 2014 23:29 |  #6

Sorry but I also wouldn't know what I am looking at if you handn't told us. It is cropped tight (top of the standing persons head is cut off. The signature at the right had side is distracting and there is a fair bit of clutter in the scene. It needs more context....

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
Canon R5, 5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4 + RF70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

zosobao5150
101 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 28, 2014 11:34 |  #7

This looks like a run of the mill snapshot. No offense, but what is the story or what are your trying to convey? The watermark takes up way too much space. I used to think that I should put watermarks on my photos, but lets be realistic about things. Unless you really believe a photo is unique or holds commercial value, the watermark looks amateurish.

Canon 7D, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50 non stabilized, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Canon 100mm 2.8, Canon 2x Extender MK III, Canon 580EX Flash

paintcheck
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jun 2013

May 28, 2014 17:21 |  #8

zosobao5150 wrote in post #16935925 (external link)
This looks like a run of the mill snapshot. No offense, but what is the story or what are your trying to convey? The watermark takes up way too much space. I used to think that I should put watermarks on my photos, but lets be realistic about things. Unless you really believe a photo is unique or holds commercial value, the watermark looks amateurish.

The watermark is rather large because I've had an issue with people on Facebook stealing the photo and not giving any credit for my work. My next step for the watermark is to place it over the image itself, which I'd like to avoid if I could. I'd forgo putting watermarks on things if people would just give simple credit where its due :(

vk2gwk wrote in post #16934969 (external link)
Sorry but I also wouldn't know what I am looking at if you handn't told us. It is cropped tight (top of the standing persons head is cut off. The signature at the right had side is distracting and there is a fair bit of clutter in the scene. It needs more context....

planet5D wrote in post #16931669 (external link)
Have to agree with Christopher here... sorry but the image does nothing for me. I don't have a clue what is going on just by looking at the photo. If you didn't tell me it was paintball, I never would have known. That means it can't stand on it's own.

I guess this image is targeted for a specific audience more than an art gallery. The image is of a disabled player who is out playing paintball at an event in Chicago. The original caption on this photo was something to the effect that even though this player has a disadvantage, he is still out there enjoying the game/sport and has refused to allow his condition to limit his ability to have fun.

The original image was a rather wide shot, this just happened to be a gem that was hidden in the image, and I wanted to bring focus to that.

I was going to cut the ref out of the image all together, but I felt that he was an important part of the set up of the shot. I did crop rather close as I wanted to eliminate some of the clutter in the background. I was in a rather bad position to get a straight on shot of the player, hence the back end of the truck in the way, however the truck is actually a bunker to hide behind, so it was my thought that it made for a decent image.

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #16929997 (external link)
The most problematic aspect of the photo for me is that I don't know what I'm looking at--the figures are all overlapping and it isn't clear what any of them are doing.

I was mainly looking for feedback on the post edit qualities rather than the composition, as all of my shots deal with the sport of paintball and are marketed towards them rather than art galleries or picture books. Certain aspects of the sport do create less than ideal composition of shots :-/

Thanks for the feedback thus far.

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 28, 2014 18:16 |  #9

It benefits you to have standards that are higher than your clients.

Even if you disregard the compositional (artsy ?) stuff, the moment you chose to capture wasn't great. It doesn't show him 'enjoying the game'. It shows someone bending over behind him to--I don't know, adjust something ? It's like getting ready to shoot someones portrait and then pressing the shutter just as they bend down to tie their shoes.

Sorry man--don't mean to harp. It was probably a tough shot to grab.

paintcheck wrote in post #16936690 (external link)
The watermark is rather large because I've had an issue with people on Facebook stealing the photo and not giving any credit for my work. My next step for the watermark is to place it over the image itself, which I'd like to avoid if I could. I'd forgo putting watermarks on things if people would just give simple credit where its due :(

I guess this image is targeted for a specific audience more than an art gallery. The image is of a disabled player who is out playing paintball at an event in Chicago. The original caption on this photo was something to the effect that even though this player has a disadvantage, he is still out there enjoying the game/sport and has refused to allow his condition to limit his ability to have fun.

The original image was a rather wide shot, this just happened to be a gem that was hidden in the image, and I wanted to bring focus to that.

I was going to cut the ref out of the image all together, but I felt that he was an important part of the set up of the shot. I did crop rather close as I wanted to eliminate some of the clutter in the background. I was in a rather bad position to get a straight on shot of the player, hence the back end of the truck in the way, however the truck is actually a bunker to hide behind, so it was my thought that it made for a decent image.

I was mainly looking for feedback on the post edit qualities rather than the composition, as all of my shots deal with the sport of paintball and are marketed towards them rather than art galleries or picture books. Certain aspects of the sport do create less than ideal composition of shots :-/

Thanks for the feedback thus far.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

sponsored links

1,595 views & 0 likes for this thread
From a local paintball event
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.