Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 28 May 2014 (Wednesday) 12:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Monopod and 90 degree tilt attachment

actionphotos
30 posts
Joined May 2014

May 28, 2014 12:22 |  #1

Looking for a Monopod and 90 degree tilt attachment for shooting sports with my Canon 70D with battery grip. Currently using 70-200mm ISII but am planning for a 300mm or 400mm soon. It needs to be tall as I am 6'2" and can adjust quickly.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

sponsored links
jlt23
445 posts
Joined May 2010

May 28, 2014 13:03 |  #2

You should check out Really Right Stuff. They have great products. I think most will recommend their monopod head, which one of them is on sale right now. As for the monopod, from what i read people think it's overpriced and go for a gito monopod.

James

sawsedge
815 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 28, 2014 14:20 |  #3

I used a Bogen "pro" monopod with a Bogen/Manfrotto 3232 tilt head, until I sold it (I wasn't using it as much as I thought). I think the monopod model was the 3218. It was strong and tall, should be tall enough for you. I attached a spare Kirk (Arca-Swiss compatible) screw clamp to the top of the tilt head. The only real complaint I had was that the aluminum legs were a bit noisy and I had to be careful extending it to avoid making a racket.

The Bogen/Manfrotto tilt head is $20 new, last I checked. It doesn't have a tension setting though, it is just loose or tight.

- John

nellyle
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2012

May 28, 2014 14:35 |  #4

It wasn't cheap, but I use a Kirk Monopod head with my 500, attached to a Gitzo 5 series monopod, handles it easily.

5D3, 7D2, 1D3, 40D, 14 f2.8 Samyang, 17-40 L, 28-80 L, 70-200 2.8ii L, 200 2.8ii L, 200-400 L, 1.4 ii,
http://chris-stamp.smugmug.com/ (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

May 28, 2014 14:43 |  #5

I have this RRS package: http://www.reallyright​stuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id​.8867/.f (external link)

It was expensive and overkill for my current setup but I was tired of the quality of the stuff I had been using and decided to bite the bullet and make an investment for the future.

That being said, it's been a real joy to use both my RRS tripod and the above monopod and head combo. It puts a smile on my face when I am out and about using them in the field. Sooooo smooth and easy to set up. No more struggles with droop, sag, etc. etc. etc.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

seres
580 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 28, 2014 19:05 |  #6

Phoenixkh wrote in post #16936371 (external link)
.... I was tired of the quality of the stuff I had been using and decided to bite the bullet and make an investment for the future.....

Same here. RRS is an excellent investment!

—Eric

On ­ the ­ loose
21 posts
Joined Jan 2014

May 29, 2014 06:25 |  #7

A ball head may be more usefull - you will otherwise find the monopod has to be tilted for some shots unless you forgo the 90 degree tilt for vertical shots. Much better to hold the monopod rigid rather than angle to frame the shot.
I use my manfrotto rapid adjustment monopod which has a pistol grip to adjust the height if the section. When walking about a quick squeeze and its shortened so easy to carry with camera attached. To use adjust height by a squeeze on the grip and down it drops to working height, with easy rapid adjustment of that.

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

May 30, 2014 12:53 |  #8

I use a 3 series Gitzo and Sirui tilt head for my 300 f2.8. It could handle a 400 f2.8 but you'd probably want to go 5 series if you get one that needs all the sections fully extended.

On the loose wrote in post #16937751 (external link)
A ball head may be more usefull - you will otherwise find the monopod has to be tilted for some shots unless you forgo the 90 degree tilt for vertical shots. Much better to hold the monopod rigid rather than angle to frame the shot.
I use my manfrotto rapid adjustment monopod which has a pistol grip to adjust the height if the section. When walking about a quick squeeze and its shortened so easy to carry with camera attached. To use adjust height by a squeeze on the grip and down it drops to working height, with easy rapid adjustment of that.

You can use the tripod collar to rotate the camer/lens if need to shoot with the monopad at a side angle. Even with a big heavy lens you can shoot with both the tilt and collar loose and it's far easier to handle than a ballhead and a light setup.

JPR ­ Images
380 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 30, 2014 15:25 |  #9

seres wrote in post #16936909 (external link)
Same here. RRS is an excellent investment!

Another happy RRS monopod user, purchased and sold three others before getting the RRS monopod. I use their quick release lever clamp on the monopod when shooting sports but also have their monopod head that clamps in quickly when needed.

JPR
www.jprimages.com (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 31, 2014 03:17 |  #10

On the loose wrote in post #16937751 (external link)

That's my solution. I used the old Manfrotto ballhead that I had removed from my 055 tripod and on the monopod it works fine.

Although I must add that the monopod is used at some very strange angles, with no ill effect.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Shane ­ W
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 31, 2014 08:51 |  #11

Find a Manfrotto 234 tilt head... NOT the RC version. Then get a AS type clamp of your choice and attach this to the standard screw mount. Now put this on the monopod of your choice.. be it an insanely overpriced RRS stick or a 20 year old Manfrotto. It's a monopod, so you have to hold onto it regardless of its price!

Shane W

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 [COLOR=blue]| EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr  (external link)

sponsored links

1,929 views & 0 likes for this thread
Monopod and 90 degree tilt attachment
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.