Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 29 May 2014 (Thursday) 00:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for C&C

smakelijk11
237 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 29, 2014 00:57 |  #1

Here is a photo I took from a photo-shoot. Please give me some C&C.

Thanks

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Nikon D300, Nikon D80, SB-800, Nikkor 50 1.8, Nikkor 18-70 (Hope this won't be held against me :))
Canon Pixma i4300

sponsored links
genesimmons
Goldmember
1,984 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2013

May 29, 2014 06:38 |  #2

for the love of god people no one is going to steal your image,how can u post a photo wanting criticism with a water mark that covers half of the image,put a small one in the bottom right if u are so concerned,its very hard to critique this photo when all u see is a huge name across the middle,its just plain awful,besides that the image that isn't covered with your name looks great,i like the expression,the lighting is great and skin tone looks very nice,the eyes are sharp and clear,this is a nice image with out the watermark.

OLYMPUS EM1 M2. 12-100 F4 PRO.75mm f1.8,fisheye f1.8 pro. SONY A7 various manual lenses. FUJI X100
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/100085318@N08/ (external link)

dynamitetony
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 29, 2014 07:16 |  #3

her wavy hair at the front is a little distracting to my eye, but otherwise its a nice shot

5Dmk4 : 5Dmk3: Sigma 24mm F1.4 :Sigma 35mm F1.4 : Canon 50mm F1.4 : Canon 85mm F1.8 : Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro : Canon 24-105 F4 : Canon 70-200 F2.8L mkii : Flashes, lights & Stuff

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
19,813 posts
Gallery: 1875 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

May 29, 2014 07:20 |  #4

Not c/c'ing, I'm too new to the sport; but curious why such high ISO and shutter speed for stationary object?
Agreed with the above about the WM being huge.
Also think it's a great shot.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

smakelijk11
THREAD ­ STARTER
237 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 29, 2014 08:18 |  #5

@ Genesimmons

Fair enough. I still left the copywright in the centre, but pull the opacity down a bit. Let me know if this is better?

Would love any critique that you or anyone else could give me. My goal is to continually improve.

Shaun

Nikon D300, Nikon D80, SB-800, Nikkor 50 1.8, Nikkor 18-70 (Hope this won't be held against me :))
Canon Pixma i4300

smakelijk11
THREAD ­ STARTER
237 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 29, 2014 08:29 |  #6

Hey MedecineMan4040

How were you able to tell the iso? That's pretty cool. The iso wasn't that high though, it was 800.

Shaun

Canon Pixma i4300

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 29, 2014 11:59 |  #7

ISO 800 is fairly high for shooting a portrait in good light; you could easily have achieved the same result at ISO 200 and a shutter speed of 1/250 instead of the 1/1000 you used.

The image is very good although I would have added a small bit of fill light on her left side and cleaned up the small amount of acne.

Gear List

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 29, 2014 16:54 |  #8

The light on the left side of her face seem to be flattening out her face on that side. Also--you've almost split-lit her: half of her face has the key-light; half doesn't. The fill on the shadow side is enough to not make it so glaring, but I'm still not a fan of putting the line of demarcation in the center of her face.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

zosobao5150
101 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 29, 2014 17:29 |  #9

It looks like there is some type of halo around her head?

Canon 7D, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50 non stabilized, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Canon 100mm 2.8, Canon 2x Extender MK III, Canon 580EX Flash

Absolutely ­ Fabulous
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 29, 2014 18:16 |  #10

hair is a bit messy, skin looks red and the smile looks funky, not a keeper

http://www.belovedlove​photography.com (external link)my website (external link)

Absolutely ­ Fabulous
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 29, 2014 18:16 |  #11

necklace is off centre too, always something to fix beforehand

http://www.belovedlove​photography.com (external link)my website (external link)

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 29, 2014 20:02 |  #12

zosobao5150 wrote in post #16938937 (external link)

I thought so also.

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,598 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined Oct 2010

May 29, 2014 20:10 |  #13

Maybe she's an angel.

What's that above her left eyebrow? Fish-hook, shrapnel?

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 29, 2014 20:15 |  #14

There is a large letter C overlayed on the image.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

Hawk's ­ Feather
308 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

May 30, 2014 15:26 |  #15

smakelijk11 wrote in post #16937911 (external link)
Hey MedecineMan4040
How were you able to tell the iso? That's pretty cool. The iso wasn't that high though, it was 800.
Shaun

If someone checks they can get the Exif information. Some uploads strip the data and others don't. Your image was shot on May 27, 2014 at 4:33:07 pm. Exposure time of 1/1000, f/stop of 2.8, ISO 800, Exposure bias +0.7 EV, Spot metering, 200 mm lens, auto white balance, flash did not fire, low gain up, Nikon D700, 70-200 mm lens, plus I could give you your camera serial number if you needed it. You also used Lightroom 5.4 (Macintosh) for your processing. There is an option in Lightroom that will allow you to change what information is allow when exporting.

First I will preface my critique with the fact that I am a person who enjoys photography. Beyond that I don’t claim to be anything.

If this were a shoot where she is working on modeling technique and you are working on photography skills, then I would say you are both on the right track. If it were a shoot for perfection, then she really needs to have someone work on her hair. Some improvement can be done in Photoshop, but it is easier to get it fixed before the shot. I am quite often guilty of not following that and some girls just don’t like hair spray or anything else that will keep their hair from moving. The lit side of her face isn’t blown out, but is starting to lose some detail, while the shadow side is pretty decent. A reflector (doesn’t need to be an expensive one, besides my fold up reflectors I have some white foam board that I picked up at a Dollar Store that I use sometimes) would really help to open up the shadow side and help brighten her eyes. The necklace was mentioned but there is also the piercing above her eye. If a person looks long enough they will see the other end along the side of her face, but on a quick glace it looks like there is ‘just something stuck there’ and that is not a good thing. While I don’t like ‘plastic’ looking faces, there are some blemish areas that could be cleaned up – unless the model/you want it to be unworked.

The f/2.8 and your focus on her eyes gave you good depth of field for the portrait. The background is soft enough that it could have been shot in a studio, in a living room, or on the street and no one would know. It also really brings the focus to her. I am 99% sure that her mother would love the image and not see any of the things that either I, or others, have mentioned.

Jerry

Jerry
Jerry Latta Photography (external link)

sponsored links

2,147 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for C&C
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.