Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 May 2014 (Friday) 13:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which ultra wide

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,063 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 30, 2014 21:07 |  #16

WhyFi wrote in post #16941380 (external link)
This works pretty well if you're comfortable selling directly to another user on the secondary market, but there are a lot of people that don't want to deal with all that that entails. In that case, they end up trading in gear when they upgrade which means taking a significant loss on the previous purchase. For those of that mindset, I think that it's worth spending a few moments to consider what you'll do in the future.

even then the sigma 12-24mm would be a better idea than the 17-40L...at least it would give him the UWA he craves now, while preparing for the camera he will own 5 years from now...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
WhyFi
Goldmember
2,766 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

May 30, 2014 21:25 |  #17

DreDaze wrote in post #16941398 (external link)
even then the sigma 12-24mm would be a better idea than the 17-40L...at least it would give him the UWA he craves now, while preparing for the camera he will own 5 years from now...

I wasn't weighing in any opinion on lens selection for the OP, I was making a comment on the rather broad "don't worry about the future," mindset.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,724 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 30, 2014 22:24 |  #18

I've been shooting with the 17-40mm on 3 sensor sizes since the year of it's release.
It fantastic on FF, wonderful on 1.3x APS-H 1D, and very good on a 1.6 cropper for landscape work stopped down a bit. (my 1.6 cropper was the 10D, pre EF-s)

I find it so flexible and use it on so many formats, that I have three lens hoods, one for each sensor size ;) (The stok one is near useless, and there are far better options for the smaller sensor sizes)

I also have had a Sigma 12-24 (the first version) for many many years.
It helps get me wider. For years it was the widest FF lens available anywhere without going fisheye.

I do like the 12-24mm but it's IQ, particularly sharpness was never in the same class as the 17-40mm, which is also not razor blade itself. I tend to reach for the 17-40mm over the 12-24mm the vast majority of the time.

My last remaining 1.6 cropper (and only EF-S compatible body) is an IR converted XTi
This year I was toying with the idea of going IR FF perhaps in a 5DC converted.. but after weighing all the costs, I decided instead to get my first EF-S lens.

That would be the 10-22mm. So far I'm really liking it. It takes the same 77mm filters as the vast majority of my lenses, has a real functional lens cap, and even fits my assorted hoods I use on the 17-40mm! (though in this case I am only using it on a 1.6 being EF-S, I CAN use it on a 1.3X 1D)

from a weeks toying, I am aware that the forums are correct, it is sharper stopped down a bit than the 17-40mm, and MUCH sharper than the Sigma 12-24.

Lastly, this one $400.00 refurb lens meant I did not have to pursue a $1K+ Full Frame IR conversion to get the same field of view.

Anyway, 10-22mm is a very fine lens!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

unistudent1962
166 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 31, 2014 00:23 |  #19

WhyFi wrote in post #16941424 (external link)
I wasn't weighing in any opinion on lens selection for the OP, I was making a comment on the rather broad "don't worry about the future," mindset.

Nothng broad about it. UWA and walkarounds for APS-C sensors cover completely different ranges to those designed for FF bodies.

If you can offer some suggestions of UWA (10-20 or thereabouts) that do, feel free to suggest them. The same goes for walkarounds (15- 50 or thereabouts). When it comes to UWA and walkaround lenses using FF lenses are a compromise at best.

What's the point of buying a lens that doesn't fulfil the need you have now because you may go FF sometime in the future? It's like saying one day I'll might have kids so I'll buy a minivan.

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS l EF 70-200 f4L IS l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

James ­ P
Goldmember
1,900 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2008

May 31, 2014 05:51 |  #20

I took the Canon 10-22 and the Sigma 10-20 for a brief test shoot. I went with the Sigma. The image quality was the same, but the Sigma came with a hood (an extra purchase with Canon) and it's own case. I've never regretted my decision.

1Dx - 5DIII - 40D - Canon 24-70LII, 100L macro, 135L, 16-35L, 70-200 f4 and 100-400L lenses

- "Very good" is the enemy of "great." Sometimes we confuse the two.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 31, 2014 06:24 |  #21

DreDaze wrote in post #16941329 (external link)
since it looks like the 10-18IS will hit shelves in the next couple weeks, I'd wait to see how that performs...you may be able to save a couple bucks and get an equal lens optically

Yup, I couldn't agree more. If the 10-18 has anything like the performance of the 10-22 then it'll be a huge bargain.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

eaphotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
160 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 31, 2014 12:05 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #22

I just bought the canon 10-22, thanks for everyone's input. The shop I went to had the new 10-18 but I felt really small and cheap to me, just my opinion. I also looked at the Tonika 11-16 2.8, that was also a nice lens but I felt better about the canon. Thanks again for the input.

Canon 1D Mark IV / Canon 7D gripped / Canon 10-22mm / Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 / Canon 24-70mm f2.8L / Canon 70-200mm f2.8L / Canon 50mm f1.4 / AB800 (x3) / 430 EXii (x2) / Vivitar 285HV / PocketWizard Plus III(x5)
ericabneyphotos.com (external link)
facebook.com/EricAbney​photos (external link)

sponsored links

2,572 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which ultra wide
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.