Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 01 Jun 2014 (Sunday) 08:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Creative Cloud more than Doubles Price to renew!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 04, 2014 00:40 |  #61

battletone wrote in post #16950228 (external link)
I was looking where the upgrade to 6 was as I never clicked buy since it appeared to be the full version at $700.

Well, if you currently have CS6, you can easily get the latest available upgrade just from the Help menu, there is no cost for those on-going upgrades!

'Course for those with, say, CS4/CS5, maybe even CS3, the cost for upgrading to CS6 is what, about $350? I dunno, upgrading to the latest upgrade of CS6 is just Help/Upgrades! I believe it upgrades ACR as well...It's been a while!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links
D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,939 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 04, 2014 06:49 |  #62

I was looking where the upgrade to 6 was as I never clicked buy since it appeared to be the full version at $700.

Yep, you have to click "Buy" to bring up the upgrade "to" CS6 option.

tonylong wrote in post #16950241 (external link)
'Course for those with, say, CS4/CS5, maybe even CS3, the cost for upgrading to CS6 is what, about $350?

The upgrade pricing from CS5 to CS6 is $199. There is no upgrade pricing from CS4 or earlier. You used to be able to upgrade from 3 versions back, but Adobe changed that with CS6. IIRC they allowed the upgrade pricing from CS3 for a really short time because of people complaining though.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

battletone
503 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 04, 2014 07:26 |  #63

tonylong wrote in post #16950241 (external link)
Well, if you currently have CS6, you can easily get the latest available upgrade just from the Help menu, there is no cost for those on-going upgrades!

'Course for those with, say, CS4/CS5, maybe even CS3, the cost for upgrading to CS6 is what, about $350? I dunno, upgrading to the latest upgrade of CS6 is just Help/Upgrades! I believe it upgrades ACR as well...It's been a while!

If I have CS6? Do you post just to post?

D Thompson wrote in post #16950612 (external link)
Yep, you have to click "Buy" to bring up the upgrade "to" CS6 option.

Yes thank you.

Cameras: 5D Mark IV, EOS 3, Elan 7
Lenses:15mm 2.8 fisheye, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L, 70-200L II IS
Tripod: Gitzo GT2531, Arca-Swiss Z1, RRS PC-LR
Lights: Photogenic PL1250 x2, 1500SL x1, Canon 580ex, YN 568ex II

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 04, 2014 08:03 |  #64

battletone wrote in post #16950662 (external link)
If I have CS6? Do you post just to post?

No, he doesn't. Tony is one of those members who post a great deal to these forums, in order to help people out. Something he does very well and many, many members have benefitted from his help over the years.

He responded to your post:

Which is extremely ambiguous. Many people would use that expression to mean that they have CS6 and want the next upgrade to it (i.e. to upgrade CS6). What you wrote could easily be interpreted as you have CS6 and want to upgrade it, or it could be that you have an earlier version which you want to upgrade to reach CS6.

As you weren't clear which applied in your case, Tony attempted to answer both possibilities. He was clearly trying to help you and doesn't deserve your rude and snotty attitude in return.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 04, 2014 09:05 |  #65

tonylong wrote in post #16950213 (external link)
Yeah, hey, I myself am pretty happy that I have CS5 (it even has the early version of Content Aware), especially since it got to me out of the generosity of a POTN member who had an unused copy!!

'Course, what will inevitably happen is the PS CC will come out with some great new things, and people will drool, and people will gripe, but eventually a lot of folks will want those cool new things enough to bite the bullet and subscribe!

Interesting that you mention this...

I used to watch various Ps webinars and training courses on a weekly/monthly basis... until they went to CC. Instructors have to teach the current capabilities and product(s). Knowing that I don't subscribe, I've stopped watching them, thus probably won't know of those capabilities for quite some time...

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 04, 2014 09:11 |  #66

sandpiper wrote in post #16950713 (external link)
.... Which is extremely ambiguous. Many people would use that expression to mean that they have CS6 and want the next upgrade to it (i.e. to upgrade CS6). What you wrote could easily be interpreted as you have CS6 and want to upgrade it, or it could be that you have an earlier version which you want to upgrade to reach CS6.

As you weren't clear which applied in your case, Tony attempted to answer both possibilities. He was clearly trying to help you and doesn't deserve your rude and snotty attitude in return.

Upgrades and updates ... one is free and the other isn't. In a previous post battletone said that he had CS5. Using the correct word would help. Reading the previous posts would help even more.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

battletone
503 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 04, 2014 18:14 |  #67

sandpiper wrote in post #16950713 (external link)
No, he doesn't. Tony is one of those members who post a great deal to these forums, in order to help people out. Something he does very well and many, many members have benefitted from his help over the years.

He responded to your post:

Which is extremely ambiguous. Many people would use that expression to mean that they have CS6 and want the next upgrade to it (i.e. to upgrade CS6). What you wrote could easily be interpreted as you have CS6 and want to upgrade it, or it could be that you have an earlier version which you want to upgrade to reach CS6.

Nothing ambiguous about the word upgrade. I don't think I ever used the term update. Those two are not interchangeable. However I do get the impression many times people jump to the conclusion of posting here without reading what has already been said. ....like where I already mention I have CS5. Then mention I cannot find the link for the upgrade, and then have multiple responses from people that sound almost like they didn't read anything and even so far as assuming I want CC from having cs6....so sorry I am jumping to conclusions, but while I might not post everything as clear as it could be, I have seen more than a few posts that have zero relevance to the questions posed.

Cameras: 5D Mark IV, EOS 3, Elan 7
Lenses:15mm 2.8 fisheye, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L, 70-200L II IS
Tripod: Gitzo GT2531, Arca-Swiss Z1, RRS PC-LR
Lights: Photogenic PL1250 x2, 1500SL x1, Canon 580ex, YN 568ex II

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 05, 2014 07:48 |  #68
bannedPermanent ban

D Thompson wrote in post #16946121 (external link)
IIRC, pirated versions of CC were available within 24 hours of release.

Sure, but at $10/month, there is less reason to pirate. Many people had a problem dropping $700 to purchase PS, but are ok at $10/month.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 05, 2014 16:20 |  #69

Hogloff wrote in post #16953137 (external link)
Sure, but at $10/month, there is less reason to pirate. Many people had a problem dropping $700 to purchase PS, but are ok at $10/month.

Similarly, my wife would rather me make 2 payments on our vehicle a month so "less money comes out of our account at a time"... but $400/mo is still $400/mo no matter how you slice it.

Unfortunately, I'd MUCH rather pay a one time $700 fee than pay $10/mo (or whatever the rate goes up to) for a lifetime. It's been well documented that those who used to upgrade every few years spent less money.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,113 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 05, 2014 16:32 |  #70

I was a "$199.99 a year" every two years or so since Photoshop 4. (4,5,7,7.1*, 8 aka CS, CS4)
*if I recall correctly, 7.1 was the intro to Adobe camera raw, and I don't recall if we paid for that?

I packed it in when they wanted to charge me full $700.00 for CS6 because I had skipped version CS5.

After some time on the phone, my relationship with Adobe came to an abrupt end.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,939 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 05, 2014 18:13 |  #71

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #16954176 (external link)
I packed it in when they wanted to charge me full $700.00 for CS6 because I had skipped version CS5.

They pissed a bunch of people off when they changed their upgrade policy from 3 versions back to only 1. Seems like they gave CS3/4 users a couple of months to make the jump with the upgrade pricing before they killed it off. I used the beta and couldn't wait to upgrade from CS5 to CS6, mainly because the PV2012 in ACR sold me on the upgrade.

CyberDyneSystems wrote:
After some time on the phone, my relationship with Adobe came to an abrupt end.

At the moment Adobe has gotten the last of my money. I don't like the subscription plan and I have no use for Lightroom. I'm not saying never, but as long as CS6 does what I need then I'm good. I would've paid for the upgrade to CC if it was a perpetual license.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

BamPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,157 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 05, 2014 19:52 |  #72

Got an Email today CC full for $29.99. Decisions decisions.

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Website (external link)

Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 05, 2014 22:35 |  #73

I'll stick with CS6 until it's no longer an option which should be several years. I do 95% of my work in LR and if that goes to a CC model, I'll just do my RAW conversion in DPP or learn a new raw editor and export to tiff for any PS work I might need to do. I'm an amateur and simply won't be forced into a subscription model anytime soon....

Ken
Fujifilm X100T | 5D III gripped |35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 06, 2014 06:51 |  #74
bannedPermanent ban

drvnbysound wrote in post #16954153 (external link)
Similarly, my wife would rather me make 2 payments on our vehicle a month so "less money comes out of our account at a time"... but $400/mo is still $400/mo no matter how you slice it.

Unfortunately, I'd MUCH rather pay a one time $700 fee than pay $10/mo (or whatever the rate goes up to) for a lifetime. It's been well documented that those who used to upgrade every few years spent less money.

So let's play the numbers. $700 will take 6 years of subscriptions th be even in cost. In that 6 years, say you upgraded twice at $200 per upgrade. That's basically another 4 years of subscription costs. So the break even point is 10 years.

Personally for someone starting off with PS today from a cost basis, the CC is a much better deal given the 10 year break even price. You also would have the latest greatest features with the subscription whereas you'd be using older versions of PS for much of the time with your model.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 06, 2014 08:22 |  #75

That of course assumes they're staying with $10 a month, and people would feel compelled to upgrade relatively regularly.

However more than a few consumer polls that I've come across are suggesting that the sweet spot for something like PS+LR bundle is about the $10 point, so we'll have to wait a year or two to see what the practical data is. It is not outside the realm of possibility that they drop the price of the product over time to encourage an even larger pool of people to sign up.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

sponsored links

15,430 views & 0 likes for this thread
Creative Cloud more than Doubles Price to renew!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.