Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Jun 2014 (Tuesday) 14:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Videographer asking to get my photographs?

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 03, 2014 23:23 |  #16

You could always ask the videographer for excerpts of their video footage that you can use in a fusion slideshow to sell the the client... I wonder how they'd react to the same in reverse?

Peter

sponsored links
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,310 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 03, 2014 23:28 |  #17

Car2n wrote in post #16949659 (external link)
The videographer should be able to pull all the stills they need out of the video.

This. Unless, of course, his work is terrible.

How about contact him directly and sell them to him?

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 04, 2014 11:07 |  #18

Car2n wrote in post #16949659 (external link)
The videographer should be able to pull all the stills they need out of the video.

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #16950151 (external link)
This. Unless, of course, his work is terrible.
How about contact him directly and sell them to him?

Agreed on both counts.
While it's important to make the bride happy, also remember that the videographer isn't giving the bride the video for free. If he needs to use someone else's work to make the finished product, his price for the product should include a REASONABLE license fee for that outsourced/hired work.

Having said that, honestly I would probably give a couple images in the name of building relationships.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,566 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 04, 2014 11:32 |  #19

Not an uncommon request in my area and I'll graciously provide a still to the videographer for the CD cover. Considering the personalized nature of the product, it's not something that s/he's going to go out and re-sell. Aside from that, it takes very little of my time to do, it's very appreciated by the bride and also appreciated by the videographer, whom both are usually in a position to send you potential future clients. I have no issue with offering small favors that go above and beyond what's written in the contract (and I do see this as a favor connected directly to the bride).
In the end, I guess that I always consider what I think will generate more business/cash flow for me. By saying no to a small favor such as this, I don't see how that would profit my business in the least (it's not like you're loosing out on a big sale here). By saying yes, I feel that I'm going a little above and beyond for the customer and they will appreciate that and recommend me to others.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 04, 2014 12:17 |  #20

Did you like your wedding photographer? Well, his pictures were okay but then he turned out to be a complete jerk about having one of my wedding pictures on the DVD.

Did you like your wedding photographer? He was great. This is one of his pictures on the DVD.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

benji25
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 04, 2014 12:42 |  #21

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16950142 (external link)
You could always ask the videographer for excerpts of their video footage that you can use in a fusion slideshow to sell the the client... I wonder how they'd react to the same in reverse?

I am sure they wouldn't blacklist the photographer for asking......

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,607 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 04, 2014 15:26 |  #22

You should handle this matter with the videographer directly, not with the bride.

Gearlist

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 04, 2014 15:29 |  #23

kenwood33 wrote in post #16951728 (external link)
You should handle this matter with the videographer directly, not with the bride.

The bride got in the middle, its a bit late now even if he cuts her out of the loop, she's still involved.

djphotosyd
90 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 05, 2014 11:50 |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16950142 (external link)

Exactly what I was thinking.
Somehow I see shocked indignation or a hefty price tag.

I think some people worry too much about their reputation and possibly upsetting someone on some thing that they shouldn't ask the shooter in the first place and become doormats trying to keep everyone happy lest somone say a bad word about them.
Personaly I do what is right and fair to me first and if other people don't like that, well that's unfortunate but you are never going to please everyone all the time.

I wouldn't be allowing the Video guy to be using my shots. Firstly I think he should be able to come up with a cover himself either from frames of the Footage or should have taken his own camera. 2ndly, once the pics are out of your control they can do anything with them. I have been burned before allowing other vendors to use my pics for their own purposes. Never again.
I gave some pics to a Vid guy once supposedly for the DVD cover and the background for the titles. Next thing I know my pics are being used as his advertising shots in 3 wedding mags and then I spotted them on huge posters and price lists for a hire car company he was friendly with. Never bothered asking my permission without handing them over. Once they are out there you have hells own job of removing them from circulation.

People seem to be worried about upsetting one bride by saying No, what about the potential damage from saying yes and having that vendor use your pics in ways that were never agreed to in the first place?

As for the bride, I'd be saying sorry, but your video guy is making an unprofessional request and the guy should know better. If he were professional, He'd have asked me before the event or known how he was going to produce his cover when you booked him.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,102 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 05, 2014 12:07 |  #25

A few suggestions;

1 Work with Bride and Videographer to keep them happy and build customer base and relationships.

2 You should be looking to build a working relationship with this video guy, rather than worrying about his profiting from you work. Friends are good. May be too late for that?

3 Compromise between your own copyright concerns and these relationships, have your cake and eat it too, perhaps you could simply ask the video guy to forward to you his template, and then you can make the printed DVD cover for him. He gets no access to your file, Bride and video guy get your image on the cover. Puts you out on the work end of things, but protects you and also provides litnous test if the Video guy balks or complains about your kind offer.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

benji25
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 05, 2014 12:23 |  #26

djphotosyd wrote in post #16953590 (external link)
Exactly what I was thinking.
Somehow I see shocked indignation or a hefty price tag.

I think some people worry too much about their reputation and possibly upsetting someone on some thing that they shouldn't ask the shooter in the first place and become doormats trying to keep everyone happy lest somone say a bad word about them.
Personaly I do what is right and fair to me first and if other people don't like that, well that's unfortunate but you are never going to please everyone all the time.

I wouldn't be allowing the Video guy to be using my shots. Firstly I think he should be able to come up with a cover himself either from frames of the Footage or should have taken his own camera. 2ndly, once the pics are out of your control they can do anything with them. I have been burned before allowing other vendors to use my pics for their own purposes. Never again.
I gave some pics to a Vid guy once supposedly for the DVD cover and the background for the titles. Next thing I know my pics are being used as his advertising shots in 3 wedding mags and then I spotted them on huge posters and price lists for a hire car company he was friendly with. Never bothered asking my permission without handing them over. Once they are out there you have hells own job of removing them from circulation.

People seem to be worried about upsetting one bride by saying No, what about the potential damage from saying yes and having that vendor use your pics in ways that were never agreed to in the first place?

As for the bride, I'd be saying sorry, but your video guy is making an unprofessional request and the guy should know better. If he were professional, He'd have asked me before the event or known how he was going to produce his cover when you booked him.

It is pretty simple to have a limited use clause in an agreement. If he breaks said clause then you can take legal action.

I don't understand why people always assume the worst possible scenario. I know everyone is not a good person, but this is simple collaboration. Not only that, but it is very easy to navigate if you put an agreement in place.

I can think of many things to gain out of this relationship and very little to lose. For instance, when a friend of the bride comes up to her and asks "who did you get for your photog?" and she will say "this guy, but he did not work well with the videographer even when I had already paid for an image". Lost referral right there.

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

John
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 05, 2014 12:32 |  #27

If #1 and #2 above are out of the question already:

I would confirm that the cover will have a proper photo credit and would make sure the videographer understood this would be a one-time use license only.

The fact that he already engaged the bride makes me think the guy is trying to force your hand.

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 05, 2014 19:10 |  #28

benji25 wrote in post #16953657 (external link)
Lost referral right there.

Not all referrals are worth having. Personally I'm not worried about not having to work with a person with such an amateurish approach to their job as the videographer has.

If all the bride can remember is that you didn't provide part of your product for another service provider to use as part of theirs then the reality is everything else you've done up to that point wasn't that noteworthy anyway and you need to up your game on what you deliver. If you've done your job properly you'll have already had multiple raving referrals from the bride before this situation even arose. In fact if you've done things right she would have been referring you to everyone she knows before you even shot the wedding!

People seem to think every referral and a every vendor relationship is worth having. Well some are not. Aligning yourself with organic relationships with the best of the best is by far and away the best thing you can do. Then the client experience is so far beyond what they'd get elsewhere that they rave constantly.

Peter

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 05, 2014 20:47 |  #29

oriondog1985 wrote in post #16949145 (external link)
I'm a wedding photographer (have been for about 3 years) and I did a wedding with a videographer who is now saying he needs a few of my images to make her DVD covers? And he went through the bride, who of course probably does not understand how the whole copyright thing works (even though she signed a detailed contract stating the images are only for personal, non commercial use, etc.). I know a lot of photographers will say it's not worth starting something over this but I can't settle with the fact that someone would use my product to enhance their product which they can also use later to promote themselves to other brides??

I've thought of different scenarios and even if they did credit me on the cover, what if they edit the hell out of the images with some horrible effects-which will just be floating around with my name on it. I have no affiliation to this person and I don't owe them anything and it bothers me that they wouldn't use their own stills. I'm also a video editor and I know it is a very simple thing to do. If the bride had not had a photographer what would his back up be? I have no problem with working with other vendors like florists for example who want a photo for their website with my credit, etc.-but that would never be confused as their product like this would.

I am aware they could just do this behind my back in the end but I feel it's my responsibility to draw a line somewhere as I work very hard to build my reputation as a wedding photographer and screen everyone I choose to work for me as an assistant, etc so that everything I represent is the best it can be. I don't feel comfortable with some stranger taking my images for their company. I just don't know how to go about telling the bride without upsetting her.

My response would depend on how they asked.

If they demanded or insisted and stated it as if they had every right to the image, I'd tell them they can buy rights to use them and set the price high.

If they asked nicely if they could kindly use my images for their product, I'd probably oblige at no cost to them.

The bride doesn't factor in as she doesn't own the images, and I'd have no problem educating them (kindly and not bullishly) on copyright, how it works, and why I don't want my images used.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 05, 2014 20:55 |  #30

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16954437 (external link)
Not all referrals are worth having. Personally I'm not worried about not having to work with an person with such an amateurish approach to their job as the videographer has.

If all the bride can remember is that you didn't provide part of your product for another service provider to use as part of theirs then the reality is everything else you've done up to that point wasn't that noteworthy anyway and you need to up your game on what you deliver. If you've done your job properly you'll have already had multiple raving referrals from the bride before this situation even arose. In fact if you've done things right she would have been referring you to everyone she knows before you even shot the wedding!

People seem to think every referral and a every vendor relationship is worth having. Well some are not. Aligning yourself with organic relationships with the best of the best is by far and away the best thing you can do. Then the client experience is so far beyond what they'd get elsewhere that they rave constantly.

Yeah basically this.

If you do a stand up job the bride will love you and will even take your side in situations like this. If she doesn't, you're just a button pusher to her.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links

8,836 views & 0 likes for this thread
Videographer asking to get my photographs?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.