Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Jun 2014 (Wednesday) 04:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70d af, could someone evaluate?

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 04, 2014 04:26 |  #1

Hi...

Id like to post this on the 70 af issue thread but the issue is different so I decided to make a new one. The issue is (samples attached) about the sharpness of images from the farthest left to the farthest right af points. I get sharp images from the left af point and blurred from the right af point. These shots were handheld but tried them several times and I was getting the same results. Also tried this indoors with 430exII (bounced) and gives me the same issue. I was thinking that this could be the problem of the 70d in connection or relevance with the f2.8 issue. I dont know anything on the tech side of the camera so perhaps those who do can have their speculations too.

Far left af point

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Mid point
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Far right af point
IMAGE NOT FOUND

The target point is the dried bamboo. Preferred to shoot handheld at 15 to 18ft from the target. Notice that te sharpest one was from the left af point. All at f4, iso 640, 1/250, sharpness at 7.

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,262 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 04, 2014 06:42 |  #2

When I look at some really tight crops of just your target, the bamboo, I do see that when you focused on the extreme left the image appears sharper. Initially I have to ask what lens were you using and do you have the opportunity to try another lens? Has the lens used ever sustained an impact or been dropped? This would give some indication if it is the body or perhaps a lens issue.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 04, 2014 07:10 |  #3

It all looks exactly as I'd expect. How is it different to what you'd have wanted?

Did the meter select different apertures through the series as you moved to different AF points? And where these shots tripod mounted to remove any doubts about camera shake?

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

i-G12
Wat?
1,809 posts
Gallery: 112 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 04, 2014 07:19 |  #4

No offense at all but at this point I think people are so paranoid about the original 70D focusing issue that they're looking for things that may be wrong or just flat making things up in their heads.

I've finally moved on and am trying to improve my technique i.e. exposure, subject, lighting, camera shake etc. We're always going to get some bad shots and maybe some of it is the camera (any camera) and maybe most of it is the user. I'm not saying that some 70Ds don't have the original issue but from what I've seen in the 70D photo thread there are a lot of great photos being taken throughout the range of f stops and different lenses.

I really don't see anything unusual about the shots in the OP.

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 04, 2014 07:30 |  #5

John from PA wrote in post #16950608 (external link)
When I look at some really tight crops of just your target, the bamboo, I do see that when you focused on the extreme left the image appears sharper. Initially I have to ask what lens were you using and do you have the opportunity to try another lens? Has the lens used ever sustained an impact or been dropped? This would give some indication if it is the body or perhaps a lens issue.

The lens used is 24 105L... Also tried this with my 70-300 non L, the same results. Edit: My lenses had never been dropped nor had any impact. :-)

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,574 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 04, 2014 07:31 |  #6

i-G12 wrote in post #16950652 (external link)
No offense at all but at this point I think people are so paranoid about the original 70D focusing issue that they're looking for things that may be wrong or just flat making things up in their heads.

I've finally moved on and am trying to improve my technique i.e. exposure, subject, lighting, camera shake etc. We're always going to get some bad shots and maybe some of it is the camera (any camera) and maybe most of it is the user. I'm not saying that some 70Ds don't have the original issue but from what I've seen in the 70D photo thread there are a lot of great photos being taken throughout the range of f stops and different lenses.

Hell, I've been through this with the 60D. It's part of the growing process, if you don't get TOO paranoid about it!:rolleyes:

You start with a new body and the resdults are somewhat less than stellar. You begin by doubting the body, the lens, the firmware. Finally you accept that all the 'physical' parameters are as expected.

Then the growing begins. You start developing your shooting technique, learning what to expect from your tools (body and lenses), how to use them to your advantage.

Then (or in parallel) you advance in the post-processing area.

It is a life-long learning, with some setbacks (new body, new lens, new ambitions changing the playing field).

To the OP: Try shooting a textured surface (like a manicured lawn) to trace the changes of sharpness along the DOF. Then we can have less confusion.:D

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 04, 2014 07:35 |  #7

Lowner wrote in post #16950634 (external link)
It all looks exactly as I'd expect. How is it different to what you'd have wanted?

Did the meter select different apertures through the series as you moved to different AF points? And where these shots tripod mounted to remove any doubts about camera shake?

Shot this in manual exposure so the settings were all constant, tripod is not tried yet. Had several series of the same target and everything is constant, sharp at left-blurred at right af point.

i-G12
Wat?
1,809 posts
Gallery: 112 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 04, 2014 07:40 |  #8

+1 for sure. Very well said @MakisM1.

That's pretty much where I am. Gonna shoot pictures and learn. In the end I think my camera is fine!

/paranoid

MakisM1 wrote in post #16950668 (external link)
Hell, I've been through this with the 60D. It's part of the growing process, if you don't get TOO paranoid about it!:rolleyes:

You start with a new body and the resdults are somewhat less than stellar. You begin by doubting the body, the lens, the firmware. Finally you accept that all the 'physical' parameters are as expected.

Then the growing begins. You start developing your shooting technique, learning what to expect from your tools (body and lenses), how to use them to your advantage.

It is a life-long learning, with some setbacks (new body, new lens, new ambitions changing the playing field).

To the OP: Try shooting a textured surface (like a manicured lawn) to trace the changes of sharpness along the DOF. Then we can have less confusion.:D

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 04, 2014 07:48 |  #9

i-G12 wrote in post #16950652 (external link)

I had followed the af issue thread since it started and really made me paranoid too (up to this time) and am really trying my best to be convinced that my unit is okay. But when Im out there in the real world with the fastest shutter speed as possible, I still get soft images. So what I do is shoot at 5.6 to 11 to get out from getting worried of my shots.

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 04, 2014 07:48 |  #10

Honestly, shoot this with a tripod and then compare. Hand held just has too much variability. Andif you can, find a target that has some sense of scale in front or behind. With that picture, it's hard to tell if it's even front or back focusing.

Also, autofocus is never perfect. Here's a write up that roger at lensrental did on the subject.

http://www.lensrentals​.com …-your-lens-with-autofocus (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 04, 2014 09:18 |  #11

Jiggo0109 wrote in post #16950674 (external link)
Shot this in manual exposure so the settings were all constant, tripod is not tried yet. Had several series of the same target and everything is constant, sharp at left-blurred at right af point.

I'm simply not seeing the softer focus you describe in your samples. All of them are similar to my eyes.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

jay125
on the happy gas
10,716 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 04, 2014 09:35 |  #12

MakisM1 wrote in post #16950668 (external link)

+1 on this. Well said MakisM1! I think if you're a month into ownership and still can't tell, then you probably have a good copy. The bad copies make themselves known very quickly.

feedback

gear list

gnirtS
232 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 04, 2014 11:25 |  #13

Dont forget to compare an AF point done with normal AF and with liveview as well on the same area.

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/whitcomberd/ (external link)
http://www.hvsac.co.uk (external link)

jay125
on the happy gas
10,716 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 04, 2014 11:38 |  #14

gnirtS wrote in post #16951161 (external link)
Dont forget to compare an AF point done with normal AF and with liveview as well on the same area.

While this is important, every body I've owned has always been slightly cleaner in LV vs OVF. Someone explained it is two different focusing systems, so you might expect some slight variations. My 70D is pretty close on this, but the LV is a little sharper, but then so is the LV vs OVF on my 60D. Both are extremely usable.

feedback

gear list

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 04, 2014 15:35 as a reply to  @ jay125's post |  #15

It doesn't have to be the camera's AF that's at fault. Such a small difference may very well be due to the lens not being perfectly symmetric. Thus at the same distance setting, you get different sharpness across the frame.
Does the focusing ring run to the same setting in all three cases?

Anders

sponsored links

1,795 views & 0 likes for this thread
70d af, could someone evaluate?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.