Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2014 (Monday) 16:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Refurbished Cameras - Shutter Count?

ddk2001
118 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 09, 2014 16:20 |  #1

In thinking about going to refurbished camera body route - I got to wondering about refurbished cameras and shutter actuations.

In reading up a bit - I see people report as few and 5 actuations and some in the thousands on a refurbished camera.

I assume that the refurbished cameras are returns (within 30 days?) and others might be manufacturer loaners / demos - but am not sure. I guess some could buy a camera and return it - instead of renting and it might get heavy use for that initial period.

Anyone have insight on outer limits of the acceptable shutter count on a refurbished camera? That's one thing you cannot know prior to buying - so I'm curious.

sponsored links
MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,574 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 09, 2014 16:26 |  #2

Ι wouldn't blink for anything under a thousand.

Anyway, if you don't like what you got, you can return it and try your luck again. Easy as pie!

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 09, 2014 16:44 |  #3

I have gotten 3 DSLRs refurb from Canon Direct and will most likely get one more this year or early next year. Every one of them have looked brand new and the only way to tell they weren't was that they came in a refurbished box. Practically no shutter counts. Yes there are some out there that will have higher counts, but like Gerry said, if under 1000 I wouldn't even care.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,267 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 09, 2014 17:23 |  #4

Go "beyond" refurb if you live in the States. Search this forum for Canon Loyalty Program . Sometimes as much as an extra 20% off depending on camera choice.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 10, 2014 20:20 |  #5

I wouldn't even worry about it. Shutter actuations don't tell you much of anything. Even a 5000 count doesn't mean that is doesn't have a brand new shutter in it. Shutter counts can be from testing done while working on it.

The shutter life expectation is kind of misleading. If you have a body rated at 150k clicks, it just means that just as many fail before 150k clicks as they do after. And you have absolutely no way of knowing which one yours is going to be. The brand new zero click camera could fail at 10k clicks 1 day after the end of the warranty while your refurb at 5k clicks could run for 300k.

If you get the same warranty that a new one gets, I wouldn't worry about it at all. If the shutter fails in the warranty period, it gets replaced. If the shutter fails after the warranty period, your odds aren't going to be any higher and it won't fail any sooner really than if you started with a 0 count new body. On either you have the same likelihood of failure at any given point. But on the refurb you hopefully saved more than enough to cover the cost of a new shutter.

My advice is to just get it and don't even worry yourself by doing a shutter count. If it really worries you, just get a mack warranty and be done with it.
Don't get me wrong. Shutter counts aren't useless. They are useful along with many other factors to go together in helping you determine the value of a used camera. A body with a 250k count is obviously worth less than the same body with a 10k count if all other conditions are equal. But that's about all it's useful for.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 10, 2014 23:49 |  #6

I recently got a 5D Mark III for $2662 after tax using the CLP and it arrived with only 31 shutter actuations. :)

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

blackgold59
154 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 11, 2014 07:50 |  #7

I went Canon Loyalty program on both my 60d and 6d, and I couldn't be happier. Both came with a 1 year warranty as a new one would. Actually I was pretty comfortable going that route, since I'm sure canon goes through the camera quite well before selling it as a refurbished.

I use my 60d more then my 6d, I just love that camera!

GoHokiesGo
783 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 11, 2014 08:23 |  #8

I bought my 60D as a Canon refurb, and the EOS program showed that it already had 4k actuations on it when I received it. This was rather high compared to most of the stories I've read from others, and I was disappointed by that at first.

However, 2 years later and 25k+ actuations and the camera has been flawless for me. It looked brand new, works perfectly, and showed zero signs of being anything but brand new. I'll be buying my next camera as a Canon refurb again, it's a fantastic deal.

~Jason
Canon 6D -¤- Canon 60D
Canon16-35/4LIS -¤- Canon 24-105/4LIS -¤- Canon 135/2L -¤- Canon 70-200/4L
Canon 50/1.8 STM -¤- Sigma 30/1.4 EX -¤- Samyang 14/2.8
Travel Website - Jason Peacott Photography (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 11, 2014 18:04 |  #9

GoHokiesGo wrote in post #16964999 (external link)
I bought my 60D as a Canon refurb, and the EOS program showed that it already had 4k actuations on it when I received it. This was rather high compared to most of the stories I've read from others, and I was disappointed by that at first.

However, 2 years later and 25k+ actuations and the camera has been flawless for me. It looked brand new, works perfectly, and showed zero signs of being anything but brand new. I'll be buying my next camera as a Canon refurb again, it's a fantastic deal.

^Exactly this :)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

monkey44
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jun 13, 2014 14:55 |  #10

How do you know the shutter actuations when you buy refurbished - specifically, a 7D ...

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,267 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 13, 2014 15:05 |  #11

monkey44 wrote in post #16969799 (external link)
How do you know the shutter actuations when you buy refurbished - specifically, a 7D ...

Many ways, one at http://www.eoscount.co​m/ (external link).

monkey44
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jun 13, 2014 15:51 |  #12

John from PA wrote in post #16969817 (external link)
Many ways, one at http://www.eoscount.co​m/ (external link).

OK, thanks -- was thinking some file notes in the camera would tell you ... looks like you have to download something to do it instead.

number ­ six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,944 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 14, 2014 14:28 |  #13

GoHokiesGo wrote in post #16964999 (external link)

My 50D from CLP had 9K shots on it. Didn't bother me a bit. It's been flawless.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

itsray
263 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 14, 2014 15:40 |  #14

i bought my t4i refurbed and haven't had any issues, although I've only had it a few months.

Lone ­ Rider
Goldmember
1,349 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 14, 2014 16:49 |  #15

My brand new 5D3 had over 500 actuations

Trevor

sponsored links

14,172 views & 0 likes for this thread
Refurbished Cameras - Shutter Count?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.