Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Jun 2014 (Tuesday) 12:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photos slightly out of focus

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,620 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 12, 2014 11:40 |  #46

Lowner wrote in post #16967317 (external link)
I assume these are in camera profiles? Never ever investigated the camera settings, I always wait until I'm post processing on the computer.

Download Canon's Quick Guide to Pictures Styles from http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …tureStyles_Quic​kGuide.pdf (external link).

sponsored links
MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,621 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 12, 2014 12:09 |  #47

For the quality of photos Lowner is striving, nothing but RAW... and post-processing afterwards.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 12, 2014 12:59 |  #48

I really think a lot of people are off track here. A lot of these images DO appear to be softer than they should be for the equipment being used. And not just at 100%. But many appear slightly underexposed. Contrast and saturation appear to be low. And I don't see any sign that sharpening is being done which is necessary to compensate for AA filters.
On top of that, in-camera processing may not be configured to optimize the images either. Whatever the case, all signs appear, at least to me, to be post-processing related.
Try shooting a few shots in RAW. Make sure you are getting the exposure right and not having to bring it up in post. Shoot at a lower ISO such as 100-200 and use a flash if necessary. Post the RAW files somewhere that we can get them such as dropbox. And let us see just what we really have here. It's really the only way to help.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 12, 2014 23:43 |  #49

Bruce R wrote in post #16966279 (external link)
Thanks again for all you comments. Maybe it is just my glasses :D When I look at these two photos they look soft (number on mailbox look soft and guard on pic looks soft) (out of focus?). Both photos were taken with the camera set to portrait mode, so some sharpening was applied (didn't realize I was in portrait mode at the time). The mailbox photo was taken with a tripod and a shutter delay. The other pic was handle held with a shutter speed of 250. Both pics were taken with the iso set at 100% and exposure compensation at zero. The jpeg version of both pics were opened in Photoshop, cropped and saved as a jpeg (resolution of 12). Thanks again for you input. I just don't want to have to buy another camera or have my lens calibrated if I don't have to. Canon 30d doesn't do micro-adjustments.

The mailbox shot looks fine, the crop doesn't make it look "soft" optically.

The guard is soft, but it's a crop from an outer edge of an image shot at f/2.8. It has three things going "against" it: first, as has been said, many lenses tend to be a bit soft wide open. Then, many lenses go soft as you reach the outer edges. Third, the wide f/2.8 aperture can have a pretty narrow "Depth of Field" so that if an object is a bit in front of or behind the "focal plane" it can be "soft".

Like I said, that guard is at the edge of your frame. Of more interest is the area you focused on, which would often be at the center of the frame. So, for example, the mailbox was at the center of the frame, and looks fine! I wonder about what you would get if you took just the center of the shot with the guard and looked at it...? 'Course, that would disregard for the time the idea of the lens being soft wide open, but the guard to me isn't soft because of that.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 15, 2014 21:36 |  #50

To me they do look soft. As in underexposed and pushed and they become "mushy" for lack of a decent word. When I look at the faces it looks more like artifacts of some kind or excessive compression.

I don't believe it's the gear but there is something a little off.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 15, 2014 21:42 |  #51

Well, like I said, the mailbox crop looks fine, but it's not the same as looking at a close face crop, post a few!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

5,996 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photos slightly out of focus
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.