Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 11 Jun 2014 (Wednesday) 11:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Portfolio Thoughts...

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 11, 2014 11:06 |  #1

Not looking for a review, but more some guidance into what should go into a portfolio...

I'm having some discussions with my editor/photoshop person about how certain shots look, and what I want to show case.

I _like_ the ultra-crisp, super sharp, perfect color look of images where everything just clicks. I like to show that off.

However, it has been pointed out to me that work that I would normally toss is 'really good, after I touch it up a little'. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I look at these, and they aren't _bad_, just not the look I was after.

The real problem is, those shots sell. <sigh> _I_ don't like action shots that are blurry where I didn't intend them to be, but my editor has no problem layering on some 'softness' to make an image that, to me, looks fuzzy and out of focus, but the customer really likes. This really hit home, when we used a 4 year old shot, that I saved back when I wasn't such a stickler for details, applied some photoshop adjustments to it, softened it up, and used it as a background for a flyer we were handing out. the guy whos car was in it phoned us up, and wanted a couple of large prints of the image, just the way it was! This keeps happening the more my editor digs through my archives and works my older images over.

So, my pocket book tells me to just go with it, but my eye tells me those images suck. I find myself realizing, I have very little idea how to pick images that are 'artistic', that also happen to have technical flaws.

anyone have any suggestions on reading materials to help me train my eye a little finer? It's beyond time I should have put together an updated portfolio, and some of the things I find myself getting pulled into lately would seem to warrant I make the effort to do so.

Thanks!

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,269 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 11, 2014 19:02 |  #2

I'm learning not to examine my work too closely as I have discovered that several of my best shots have technical issues. Yet still they are lovely shots despite (or sometimes because) of this. take eyes that are too close together and oddly shaped nose and a mouth that is to wide. Stick them on a face and the result can be a beautiful and captivating face. A photograph is more than the sum of its parts and its beauty may actually stem from the imperfections. Sharp photos may be in style now but don't forget that previous generations adored soft focus images. Photography is just like any other art form in that it can have many different styles. Maybe grabbing some art reference books on different styles will help you develop an eye for alternatives.

As some who never had an art education I really have no creative basis for my photography. I have been trying to counter that by reading some fairly basic stuff to at least develop a grounding. I discovered a set of books from AVA Academia on "Basic Photography". I started with "Context and Narrative" and now on "Design Principles". I am reading them in part because those topics have never interested me, but I recognise that understanding these topics will help me grow as a photographer.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 12, 2014 02:25 |  #3

Show what sells. There's no point showing thing that don't sell if you want to make money.

Peter

b0barikin
36 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 21, 2014 18:40 |  #4

I say show the best of your work but keep it versatile for all clients. :)

---W. Bobarikin
www.bobarikin.com (external link)
www.photographytulsaok​.com (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

548 views & 0 likes for this thread
Portfolio Thoughts...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.