Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 14 Jun 2014 (Saturday) 10:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why do Pros/People have to defend their equipment? Why?

Conradebner
425 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 14, 2014 18:43 |  #16

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #16971683 (external link)
Right, but I have a 1D....

http://youtu.be/paJqHP​HLExo (external link)

bwah ha ha ha ha !

1DX, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L, 300 2.8L IS, 200 2.8L, 7D, 40D, 100 2.8 Macro, 580EX II
Www.IE3photo.com (external link)

sponsored links
Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 15, 2014 06:11 as a reply to  @ Conradebner's post |  #17

I frequently get the "damn i would love to own that gear" (at work with 1DX, l glass including 3/4/5/600mm L)
My normal response is "so would i, if work didnt supply it, i couldnt afford it"
Typically works well as an icebreaker, and my normal comment with the big lenses is "its nice to shoot with, but you dont want to carry one round"

Honestly though, i dont care about gear, i shoot whatever the company gives me, Canon, Nikon, coffee tin with a pinhole, doesnt matter, i will use it to the best of my (limited) ability

I do prefer Canon though, although my personal camera is a Leica M - a camera i am hesitant to reccomend, i have had a few people say "oh i would love a leica"
My normal response is "unless your a special kind of weird, dont. I love mine, and wouldnt change it for the world, but its almost fully manual, lens choice is limited, horrendously expensive, no AF - its equally frustrating and amazing to use.
If you want an EVF camera, SLR, or a camera to take pics of the kids, get one, but this isnt it, if you want an optical viewfinder, manual focus and a mechanical coincident rangefinder - this is the camera for you"

I dont typically have any issues with people trying to tell me why their system is better, although with a few friends who own nikon i may joke around a bit

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

MDJAK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
24,727 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 15, 2014 08:22 |  #18

Maybe, as usual, I wasn't clear as I could be. First, it's not really a rant. I know full well there's a lot more important things in life. And I love talking gear. It's the one thing I know a little bit about.

For instance, the event tog I mentioned above said, oh I love this Nikon SB 910 flash.

Well, I own the SB 800 and owned the SB 900 but have never seen the 910. A bit later I snuck a peak at the back of the flash. It was the 900, not the 910. Honest mistake? Ok.

When I said I own the 800, he replied great flash. Don't get rid of that. It's worth a fortune, more than new.

I don't know to whom, as I see them go begging for new owners on FM.

All I'm saying is it's great to talk gear. But just because you run into someone who may have "better" or more expensive gear than you, there's no need to immediately start saying how great yours is. It's just weird.

And anytime someone says to me wow, that's some camera (when they mean lens), I always say I wish I knew how to use it well, and I actually mean it.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 15, 2014 09:25 |  #19

20droger wrote in post #16971742 (external link)
Ah! A pellet-gun target!

Pellet gun? Nah, where's my 30.06? :)

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,958 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 15, 2014 12:26 |  #20

Small target in the air? We bring to bare our 12 gauge!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 15, 2014 12:39 |  #21

CameraMan wrote in post #16972792 (external link)
Pellet gun? Nah, where's my 30.06? :)

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #16973011 (external link)
Small target in the air? We bring to bare our 12 gauge!

Both overkill! We want to down it, not disintegrate it.

Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,302 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 15, 2014 16:06 |  #22

20droger wrote in post #16973029 (external link)
Both overkill! We want to down it, not disintegrate it.

I choose a paintball gun. Bring it down, wash it off, send it back up, play again. :D

And, as a fun bonus, you can take pot shots at the pilot too.

Melody

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 15, 2014 16:45 |  #23

Jill-of-all-Trades wrote in post #16973365 (external link)
I choose a paintball gun. Bring it down, wash it off, send it back up, play again. :D

And, as a fun bonus, you can take pot shots at the pilot too.

So messy!

Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,302 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 15, 2014 16:50 |  #24

20droger wrote in post #16973419 (external link)
So messy!

So much fun!

Melody

MDJAK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
24,727 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 15, 2014 20:21 |  #25

Wow, a bunch of NRA nutsos. :lol:

Just back from flying it over a big dam with huge spillway. Fun. Great videos. Now gotta get a micro USB card reader.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 15, 2014 21:21 |  #26

MDJAK wrote in post #16973775 (external link)

Just back from flying it over a big dam with huge spillway. Fun. Great videos. Now gotta get a micro USB card reader.

Well, I'd say "My RC airplane camera is better than your RC helicopter camera", but, Dang, I don't have an RC airplane camera, or even an RC plane!

So, you win that little squabble!:)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

MDJAK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
24,727 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 15, 2014 21:29 |  #27

Well almost lost. Took off before GPS lock and crashed. Luckily into soft bushes backed by black silt construction fence. No damage.

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 15, 2014 21:45 |  #28

MDJAK wrote in post #16973775 (external link)

No NRA. Just regular nutsos.

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 15, 2014 22:12 |  #29

MDJAK wrote in post #16972710 (external link)
Maybe, as usual, I wasn't clear as I could be. First, it's not really a rant. I know full well there's a lot more important things in life. And I love talking gear. It's the one thing I know a little bit about.

For instance, the event tog I mentioned above said, oh I love this Nikon SB 910 flash.

Well, I own the SB 800 and owned the SB 900 but have never seen the 910. A bit later I snuck a peak at the back of the flash. It was the 900, not the 910. Honest mistake? Ok.

When I said I own the 800, he replied great flash. Don't get rid of that. It's worth a fortune, more than new.

I don't know to whom, as I see them go begging for new owners on FM.

All I'm saying is it's great to talk gear. But just because you run into someone who may have "better" or more expensive gear than you, there's no need to immediately start saying how great yours is. It's just weird.

And anytime someone says to me wow, that's some camera (when they mean lens), I always say I wish I knew how to use it well, and I actually mean it.

...maybe, you know, you are part of the problem.

I read the OP and my eyes glazed over. I read this, and my eyes glazed over.

In the five years I've been shooting I've never run into anyone who had to defend their equipment. You state you love talking gear. Maybe in your love of talking gear, you trigger the urge in people to defend what they shoot with. It is something I genuinely have never experienced. I think that it is your perception of your encounters that is off. I don't mean that as an insult. But stop sneaking peaks at other photographers stuff. And don't worry if they are shooting with a 900 but think they are shooting with a 910. And if he thinks the 800 is a great flash, well he is entitled to his opinion. I'll be honest, if you were trying to sneak peaks at my flash and my equipment I'd get a little bit defensive myself.

Look at the two examples in the OP:

1. I'm at Birds of Prey Day in Brewster NY a few weekends ago. I'm using my 600 only because it's brand new and I want to play with it. Mind you, the birds are very close so I actually had to stand back. A photographer comes up to me with a small 4/3 camera and strikes up a conversation. I'm only too happy to talk photography, what little I know. Turned out, he was a vendor there, selling his pics, which I later saw and were nice. He immediately starts saying how great 4/3 is (and I have no idea if it is or isn't), how it's better than any other format, and on and on. I mean, really? I'm standing there with a 1Dx and 600mm II, and he's feeling the need to brag and brag and brag about his gear. I said nothing except to nod my head.

2. Yesterday I go to a friend's house to take pics at a pre-prom party. I've done it for one of his kids before. He's my friend and I obviously don't charge him, nor would I take his money. He called me a day or so before to tell me he hired a photographer because there's going to be many more people than he anticipated and the guy would be there to help me.

Turns out, the guy was very nice, and helpful too. He had a Nikon D7000 with 18-135 kit lens (his words, "kit lens," not mine), SB900 on a bracket, with a Gary Fong tupperware thing on top of the flash. I used to have one too. So? He says, what are you shooting? I said Canon. I hadn't taken my gear out yet. I had my 1Dx and 5DIII, 70-200 and 24-70 II. I also had a light stand, large ProFoto Umbrella and a ProFoto B1. I know/knew that lighting wasn't necessary (we were under a tent), but I just got it, I love gear, and I wanted to try it out/use it.

Immediately he starts telling me how great his Nikon 7000 is, how great the color is, the sharpness, how he's had dinner with Gary Fong and I should get one, and on and on, defending his equipment against what I ask? I didn't say a word. I truly try to be very humble. I tell him I'm sure he gets great shots. After all, he stated he does 140 events a year, both his own business and second shooting.

Both these examples aren't examples of "defending their equipment." From the way you described it, they are not defending their gear. They are telling you how much they love the gear they have. You state you are humble: yet you explainabag (external link) in both posts. Are you sure you aren't the defensive one?

Again: my intention isn't to pick on you. But both of these situations you've described look entirely innocent from the other photographers point of view. You love talking gear. It sounds like they love their gear. You have better gear. You couldn't show off about how much better your gear is to their face, so you've done that here. I wouldn't care if you showed up with a 1Dx. If you asked me, I'd tell you how much I loved my 5DIII. If you took that to mean I'm being defensive, I'd tell you that you were wrong. I simply love my 5DIII.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,707 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 21, 2014 15:23 |  #30

Hey Mark, I'm the only one on my block with an 8-15 fishy. Congrats on the 600... Dibs.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

sponsored links

4,275 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why do Pros/People have to defend their equipment? Why?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.