Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Jun 2014 (Tuesday) 14:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D weathersealing cant be this bad?

Photo123abc
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 17, 2014 14:43 |  #1

Hi, yesterday I was photographing birds at my swamp hide. Everything was normal until my breathing condenced on the back of my camera. Not very much but it was damp.
Anyways, I was trying to change AF point and when I pressed left arrow, camera jumped into menu and started scrolling it though like crazy.

I pulled battery out, tried again and same thing continued after pressing left arrow. I was able to shoot normaly, but couldnt change anything with left arrow.

When I came out of the hide, went home and tried again. No sign of the problem.
Could this be manufacturing error? Like a faulty sealing or something?

You are what you eat - I dont remember eating a photographer.

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 17, 2014 15:02 |  #2

Where did the moisture get in? The 6D's rear control wheel is not sealed at the "set" button unlike the 5DIII or 7D, so it makes sense that the D-pad was malfunctioning if moisture did indeed get in the back.
See this diagram:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …/IMG_5134_zpsaf​3a709c.jpg (external link)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

image ­ monster
459 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 17, 2014 15:26 as a reply to  @ Sirrith's post |  #3

I shot under some heavy rain fall out in Tokyo. I wanted to test the waters and see how good the weather sealing is on the 6D. Plenty of water got through the rear control wheel and affected the circuits. It turned my playback button into live-view. Every thing switched up and the menu screen was jumping all over. Luckily my trusty 24-105L held up very well. It took a few days until all the moisture dried out internally and everything functioned normally. I think I learned my lesson. Now I know.

6D | 5Dc | X100F | 16-35L F4 IS | 50 1.8 STM | 50L | 135L |
Gear

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 17, 2014 15:33 |  #4

the 6D is not the body whose limits in weather sealing i would want to test. Ive used mine in humid condition and it was fine, but anytime water is present, I use one of those rain sleeves from Optech.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

patrick023
525 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 17, 2014 15:45 |  #5

Mine got wet shooting in a light rain in Pompeii and Naples and was just fine. Sometimes it's just bad luck. I've heard stories of 7D's malfunctioning because the person using it was sweating at the time even with decent weather sealing.

1Ds3 | 5Dmk3 | 6D | 7D | 20D | EF 17-40 f/4 L | 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 135 f/2L | EF 24-70 f/2.8L vII | EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L vII | EF 70-200 f/4 L | Sigma 170-500 | A ton of speedlights and Einsteins
My work: www.p3photo.com (external link) | My facebook: https://www.facebook.c​om/P3PhotoKC (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,800 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 17, 2014 16:32 |  #6

image monster wrote in post #16977707 (external link)
I think I learned my lesson. Now I know.

I should hope so! My weather sealing story is shortly after I bought my *new at the time* 5DC. I was in a hot and humid aircraft carrier sweating bullets while shooting. First the LCD started acting up, then indicators going all over the place. I sent it to Canon for repairs, and found they accessed water damage. I couldn't talk with the tech in charge of fixing my camera, but the rep asked if I dunked the camera in water, or could have lens cleaning fluid been dropped on it? I said no, but had no alternative to pay the $800 bill and ask for all original parts back. When the camera and parts came back, I saw it was a circuit board and connected parts that were replaced. On the circuitboard was just a small spot of corrosion. Assume it was just one bead of sweat that was able to get in there (and being salt water, corroded the board while it was drying). So in short, it's not good to get any camera wet...and if you do, don't let it be sweat!!:D

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Photo123abc
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 24, 2014 14:29 |  #7

Set button thingy aint weathesealed? That was new to me. It is strange because Ive been shooting in heavy rain, even in thunderstorm without any problems.

You are what you eat - I dont remember eating a photographer.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,137 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 24, 2014 14:33 as a reply to  @ Photo123abc's post |  #8

Where water travels depends greatly on how a person holds their camera. It is very possible that the same camera model in the hands of 5 different people in the same rain would yield a wide range of issues, or none at all, simply due to how the cameras were held or strapped. I personally use a handstrap, and thus, if I had a 6D with a handstrap, my hand would shield the set button quite a bit from the rain. A 6D dangling downwards on a neckstrap could very easily have rain pool up around and under the dial.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,104 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 24, 2014 16:46 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #9

The joystick on my 40D once did the same, after being exposed to a heavy thunderstorm in Lynchburg, Tennessee. Some drying in the hotel room cured it, and it worked fine ever since.

Anders

UserM4
173 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 24, 2014 17:13 |  #10

I think there would be a difference if it was raining and you continued to shoot and press buttons or you stopped everything and didn't press any buttons.

6D ☺ G7 X Mark II ☺ SL1 ☺ EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM ☺ EF 28 f/2.8 IS ☺ EF 85 f/1.8 ☺ Rokinon 8 f/3.5 ☺ EF 24-105 f/4L IS ☺ EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS ☺ EF 50 f/1.8 STM ☺ EF 24-70 f/2.8L II

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,639 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 24, 2014 22:01 |  #11

patrick023 wrote in post #16977736 (external link)
Mine got wet shooting in a light rain in Pompeii and Naples and was just fine. Sometimes it's just bad luck. I've heard stories of 7D's malfunctioning because the person using it was sweating at the time even with decent weather sealing.

This.

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16992006 (external link)
Where water travels depends greatly on how a person holds their camera. It is very possible that the same camera model in the hands of 5 different people in the same rain would yield a wide range of issues, or none at all, simply due to how the cameras were held or strapped. I personally use a handstrap, and thus, if I had a 6D with a handstrap, my hand would shield the set button quite a bit from the rain. A 6D dangling downwards on a neckstrap could very easily have rain pool up around and under the dial.

And this.

I used my T2i in heavy wet snowfall with a Sigma 18-50/2.8-4.5 for over an hour, to the point where when I got in the car there was some frost on the thing. The LCD stopped coming on after about a half hour of shooting, but it was working fine so I kept shooting. After it heated back up for a few minutes in the car it started working perfectly again, the only problem I had with it after that was an intermittent issue with the pop-up flash in which it wouldn't pop up on it's own.

I have a tendency to hang my camera on my neck with the LCD facing down when I'm looking for a shot. During that day though I did keep my left hand over the back of the camera to try to keep it as dry as possible and I also kept using my lens pen brush to brush off the snow when it started building up on the camera, but as I said, it was still totally wet when I was done shooting.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

oahumike
479 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 25, 2014 02:57 |  #12

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16992747 (external link)
This.

And this.

I used my T2i in heavy wet snowfall with a Sigma 18-50/2.8-4.5 for over an hour, to the point where when I got in the car there was some frost on the thing. The LCD stopped coming on after about a half hour of shooting, but it was working fine so I kept shooting. After it heated back up for a few minutes in the car it started working perfectly again, the only problem I had with it after that was an intermittent issue with the pop-up flash in which it wouldn't pop up on it's own.

I have a tendency to hang my camera on my neck with the LCD facing down when I'm looking for a shot. During that day though I did keep my left hand over the back of the camera to try to keep it as dry as possible and I also kept using my lens pen brush to brush off the snow when it started building up on the camera, but as I said, it was still totally wet when I was done shooting.

I like stories like this when using my camera out in the rain. I'll take my shirt off and shield it but I like the people who test it's full durability. And I love the manual lenses. My roommate has a few m42 that I bought an adapter for. Loving it so far.

Had a 6D....
Then had a daughter....
Now have an SL2 and Mavic Pro.... Man life changes.
I would encourage you... To just go for it.

sponsored links

3,603 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D weathersealing cant be this bad?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.