Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jun 2014 (Sunday) 11:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which camera for beginners?

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 27, 2014 13:15 |  #61

You have to what what people are planning on shooting before you give advice. A guy I work with had a new baby and he wanted a DSLR.. cause all his friends have one. I talked him into a NEX and he LOVES It. His friends have these big and heavy DSLR's and he has a nice light NEX that he takes everywhere.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

mine1
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 27, 2014 13:40 |  #62

you can get a t3i 18-55 kit (refurbished through the loyalty program) for $422 (say 450 after the broken camera), and a 17-50 sigma os for under 1k, and if they want to go the little extra work could sell the kit lens and use the left overs for either a 55-250, or a 50 1.8. even better if you can find the sigma used (I have seen plenty in the past for under 400 leaving room in the 1k budget for a better prime or the stm version of the 55-250, or the 10-18. Alot can be done with 1000 bucks if you shop smart.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/81190407@N08/ (external link)
Canon 60d.Canon 18-135, 55-250 II, and 10-18 stm. and Benro C-1681t Travel Angel, with Sirui K20x head.

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 27, 2014 15:03 |  #63

tagnal wrote in post #16994591 (external link)
For me, the ergonomics and controls are a MAJOR reason to go the 60D over the rebel line. The pain I would get in my hand from using the smaller rebel body was reason enough for me to upgrade. The value I get with not having shooting pain after a day of shooting greatly exceeds that of the newer rebels.

My wife started DSLR with an XSi and then a T2i. Both are great camera, she loved them - as long as she was shooting in Av or Tv modes. Now that she moved to Manual, she realized that she needs to press two buttons to adjust the F stop. She needs two buttons to do exposure compensation, etc. The ergonomics of the 60D or 70D, e.g., two wheels, is way better than a Rebel's. Now that we both got into birding, she finds that the FPS rate is not good enough.

I suspect that pretty soon we will need to get her something better than her T2i.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 27, 2014 16:07 |  #64

I debated on starting with a Rebel when I was planning my first DSLR purchase. I decided against it mainly because I didn't want to feel the need to upgrade too soon after I bought it. I didn't know much but thought the faster shutter speed of 1/8000 could be necessary in the bright Florida sun.

I also decided to avoid the kit lenses as well but that has changed a bit. I ended up with a 60D and the 15-85. I later added the 70-300L after a few months. I liked that combo a lot until I got into more wildlife photography, esp. wading birds here in Florida. I ended up with the 70D for the better AF system and faster frame rate.

If I were starting from scratch today, I would probably buy a 70D with the 18-135 kit lens. I haven't used that lens but from the photos I've seen posted and the things I've read, it's IQ is as good as my 15-85. I think I'd go with the 18-135 STM and add the new 10-18 STM for landscapes. I haven't felt the need to go wider than 15mm but I would want to go wider than 17 or 18.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Apricane
Shooting the breeze
1,694 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 27, 2014 19:27 |  #65

Phoenixkh wrote in post #16998223 (external link)
If I were starting from scratch today, I would probably buy a 70D with the 18-135 kit lens. I haven't used that lens but from the photos I've seen posted and the things I've read, it's IQ is as good as my 15-85. I think I'd go with the 18-135 STM and add the new 10-18 STM for landscapes. I haven't felt the need to go wider than 15mm but I would want to go wider than 17 or 18.

Many of us who tried photography and stuck with it think in this way, "what if I had known I'd have gone straight for X equipment", but that doesn't necessarily make for sound advice, nor for a healthy outlook of on the situation.

When I saw you starting to post on the forums (I'd check your membership date if I could now that I hit reply), the 70D didn't even exist, or at the very least wasn't out, so you couldn't even have really started with the 70D.

Plus, even if you can spend the money to get that equipment, and have become sufficiently interested in the hobby to do so, that doesn't mean that every beginner can do so. I tailor my advice in that way.

In my opinion, recommending a T4i/T5i with STM kit lens goes exactly in that way. It is a model that is affordable for the budget stated in the OP, offers the best AF available in the Rebel line (something equivalent to what is in the 60D), and lenses which are very capable from the viewpoint of IQ, build quality, AF speed and accuracy, usability with filters, and decent pricing.

Apricane IG Portraits (external link) IG Travel/Street (external link)
a7 III | 35+55ZA+85/1.8 | Tmr 28-75+70-180/2.8 | Tmr 28-200 | E 70-350G
Capture One 21 Pro | Affinity Photo | ACDSee | Bridge | Photoshop

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6,748 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which camera for beginners?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.