Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Jun 2014 (Friday) 11:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The end of Aperture

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 27, 2014 11:49 |  #1

http://www.loopinsight​.com …-development-of-aperture/ (external link)

Discuss.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

sponsored links
ShotByTom
Goldmember
3,021 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 27, 2014 11:54 |  #2

Well, that sucks. I really like aperture. I hope the new Photo app will have the same functionality.

Gear
Website (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 27, 2014 12:04 |  #3

I just saw this on MacRumors and my heart sank. I am an adventure photographer that uses Aperture extensively at least 4-5 days a week. I've been with the program since it came out and this is very upsetting news to me. I highly doubt the "Photos App for the Cloud" will be a professional application. vmad

http://www.macrumors.c​om …erture-development-stops/ (external link)

Off to work where I will be processing and delivering photos today on a very tight timeline. Well, at least for now. Grrr....

Bryan

My Gear List

Elton ­ Balch
972 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 27, 2014 14:23 as a reply to  @ bps's post |  #4

I'll keep using it as long as I can; it suits my limited needs as a hobbyist and I really like the interface. I don't want to switch to a subscription based program like Lightroom so I guess I'd better get busy figuring out what to do down the road.

Elton Balch
5D Mark III, 7D Mark II, 24 mm f/1.4 L, 35 mm f/1.4 L, 50 mm f/1.2 L, 85 mm f/1.2 L, 100 mm f/2.8 macro, 135 mm f/2 L, 300 mm f/4 L, 16-35 f/4 L IS, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS ii, 580 EX Flash, Speedlight 600 EX RT, 1.4 extender, extension tubes and other stuff.

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Jun 27, 2014 14:33 |  #5

Elton Balch wrote in post #16998073 (external link)
I don't want to switch to a subscription based program like Lightroom

You don't have to subscribe to Lr. You can buy the standalone version for $149.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,376 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 27, 2014 14:39 |  #6

Or take a look at Capture One. in many ways it's better than LR.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,726 posts
Gallery: 221 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 27, 2014 14:50 |  #7

ShotByTom wrote in post #16997795 (external link)
Well, that sucks. I really like aperture. I hope the new Photo app will have the same functionality.

Not a cat in hells chance, for reference just look at the tripe Apple released as the updated Pages and Numbers.

As far as Apple seem to be concerned all apps are developed for iOS first, then ported to OS X later. :mad:

Just wait till iWatch out sells iPhones/iPads , then every Apple app will have to run on a one inch screen.

As for Apple making it easier to transfer from Aperture to Lightroom, well I'll sell all my camera stuff before going to Adobe .

Whiteflyer Photography (external link) | Gear List

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,555 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 27, 2014 14:57 |  #8

I will use it as long as I can. The organization schemes in the other apps are ridiculously horrible. Aperture made sense of organization.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

kuma1212
364 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 27, 2014 15:27 |  #9

I too will use it as long as I can, but I now feel forced to look into LR5 or Capture one. Maybe I'll like one of them better and it'll be a blessing in disguise. Just trying to be positive. sigh

5DII. 50L. 24-70LII. 16-35LII. 70-200is2.8II. 100L 135L.

GuitarDTO
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 27, 2014 15:30 |  #10

I literally was contemplating starting a thread a few days ago asking for opinions on switching to Lightroom, not because I dislike Aperture (I actually love it, and prefer it to Lightroom, and didn't think anything needed to be switched!), but because I was fearful that Apple somehow would stop supporting their product and I would lose my entire library of edits/changes. Sunuvab#$%

I have multiple plugins for Aperture as well. Google's NIK package, I wonder if I'll have to repurchase for lightroom now. Oiy

Gear: 5D3, 135L, Sigma 35, 50 1.8 STM, 16-35 F/4L IS, 85/1.8, Fujifilm X100T
Flickr: DavioTheOne (external link)

crxb
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 27, 2014 15:44 |  #11

any links for the best way to migrate from Aperture to Lightroom?

best way to organize files w/ lightroom?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 27, 2014 16:30 |  #12

crxb wrote in post #16998194 (external link)
any links for the best way to migrate from Aperture to Lightroom?

best way to organize files w/ lightroom?

I myself don't know of any links (I'm not an Apple/Mac user) but I'm sure there are plenty of folks here that can help! Maybe if you start a thread with that as the topic?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,862 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 27, 2014 16:30 |  #13

According to the MacRumors article - http://www.macrumors.c​om …rture-development-stops/: (external link)

According to TechCrunch, Apple will continue to provide compatibility updates to allow Aperture to run on OS X Yosemite, but development will stop. Apple is also working with Adobe to create a transitionary workflow to help users shift to Lightroom.

So, you may get a "transitionary" workflow from the official sources.

In the meantime, you can try using Catapult:

http://brushedpixel.co​m (external link)

This will permit you to edit the raw file from your Aperture library in an external raw converter. If you try to use drag-and-drop or export a file from Aperture, it will convert the raw into a TIFF or JPEG with Aperture's settings applied. Catapult provides the external raw converter with the raw file, and stacks the processed file with the original raw back in Aperture.

Maybe this will help a little? It will not wholesale covert Aperture libraries and edits to the LR equivalent - presumably that is what Apple and Adobe are trying to cook up. Here is Adobe's announcement re: Aperture and transition:

http://blogs.adobe.com …/apple-aperture-news.html (external link)

Here are more details on migrating - a little dated:

http://lightroomsoluti​ons.com …ghtroom-where-do-i-begin/ (external link)

kirk

Kirk
---

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,439 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 27, 2014 17:48 |  #14

I'm not surprised. Apple is not specifically into photography. I'm a Mac user, always have been, but when I got into photography I chose Lightroom over Aperture, thinking that Lightroom would probably be around for a long time as this is what Adobe does, but Aperture probably wouldn't because this is not what Apple does. I'm not glad to have been proven right, but I am glad I chose Lightroom.

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

GuitarDTO
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 27, 2014 18:27 |  #15

Well, I jumped in. I subscribed to Photoshop CC, and now have Lightroom and Photoshop installed. I'm actually excited about Photoshop, as I've always wanted to learn and look forward to the creative possibilities. Lightroom interface and workflow is just so ugly though compared with Aperture but I'll learn to deal with it.

On a positive note, I sent an email to Google, and within 15 minutes I had a reply with a link to the latest download of the Nik package. No extra cost. I'm pretty sure any user of NIK for Aperture will be able to update and within the update it will install for both Aperture and Lightroom at the same time. So that was my main concern addressed already : )

Gear: 5D3, 135L, Sigma 35, 50 1.8 STM, 16-35 F/4L IS, 85/1.8, Fujifilm X100T
Flickr: DavioTheOne (external link)

sponsored links

12,754 views & 0 likes for this thread
The end of Aperture
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.