Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 27 Jun 2014 (Friday) 12:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Apple kills Aperture

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 27, 2014 12:51 |  #1

Sorry Aperture users...

http://www.wired.com/2​014/06/apple-kills-aperture/ (external link)

Joel

sponsored links
benji25
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 27, 2014 13:23 |  #2

Saw this. Sad to see but I think things are heading that way anyway for every photo app. The masses are realizing how easy basic photo edits are so they are catering to the influx of people. Basically there will be two tiers: simple edits like instagram and lightroom that are simple and everyone will use and then there will be photoshop. I think Apple is ahead of the game here by going between iPhoto and Aperture. It will accomplish 80-90% of what the people want and the remaining 10% will have to get photoshop.

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 27, 2014 14:24 |  #3

Crud - I am an aperture heavy user. I was hoping to hear of an update/upgrade and this is not good news.

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

GingaPics
72 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 27, 2014 14:30 |  #4

stathunter wrote in post #16998077 (external link)
Crud - I am an aperture heavy user. I was hoping to hear of an update/upgrade and this is not good news.

Likewise. Sad news.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 27, 2014 17:00 |  #5

Bummer, never used it but was considering it for when Adobe told me to bend over

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 27, 2014 18:23 as a reply to  @ rick_reno's post |  #6

...and so, some of the "advantages" of owning a Mac are disappearing. No surprise.

Aperture was the only reason i would have considered that fruit, but not now. :lol:

Kel
Gear

GingaPics
72 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 27, 2014 21:07 |  #7

A good take from Joseph Linasche..

http://www.apertureexp​ert.com …-live-photos#.U64jQxYds18 (external link)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 27, 2014 22:28 |  #8

GingaPics wrote in post #16998682 (external link)
A good take from Joseph Linasche..

http://www.apertureexp​ert.com …-live-photos#.U64jQxYds18 (external link)

The only thing i don't like about this article by this guy..he has a vested interest in people not flocking to LR. His site depends on Aperture users, and calming the panic is in his best interest.

Kel
Gear

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jun 28, 2014 01:09 |  #9

Damnit!

I want to move further from Adobe, not closer.

And this is bad news all the way around, as Adobe will have no viable competition anymore. Can we all spell S T A G N A T E ?

whiteflyer
Goldmember
1,711 posts
Gallery: 215 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 28, 2014 05:37 |  #10

1Tanker wrote in post #16998758 (external link)
The only thing i don't like about this article by this guy..he has a vested interest in people not flocking to LR. His site depends on Aperture users, and calming the panic is in his best interest.

You only need to read Apple Discussions group for Aperture to see MANY are not happy at all.

But this is all part of apples iOS first strategy, as I've said elsewhere

As far as Apple seem to be concerned all apps are to be developed for iOS, then ported to work on OS X later.

Just wait till iWatch out sells iPhones/iPads , then every Apple app will have to run on a one inch screen.

I think we all now have to realise Apple are now a Phone manufacture with computing just a old not to be bothered about sideline.

Whiteflyer Photography (external link) | Gear List

rdwalton
153 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 28, 2014 05:54 |  #11

Won't miss ya Aperture...

Reginald D. Walton | GEAR | Smugmugexternal link

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 28, 2014 06:35 |  #12

I was already a PS and LR 1 user when aperture came out so had nothing but a passing interest in it. But I don't understand why they've done this. It's not like they can't afford to hire talented folks to continue to improve it. Or maybe, and I don't know, PS is just so much better with a much larger installed user base, that they weren't gaining any traction. I don't agree it will cause less innovation in PS.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,456 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 28, 2014 07:01 |  #13

I see a lot of dislike towards Adobe, but the real villains are companies like Apple, Corel, and others that fail to offer seriously compelling alternatives to Adobe's photo editing apps. Ironically just a few short years ago Steve Jobs called Adobe lazy, and now Apple is the one laying down.

No company, that I know of, has a seriously powerful well-connected (to third party apps) alternative to Photoshop. That is a shame. Boo on on the lazy Adobe competitors. At least there are alternatives to Lightroom. Anti-Adobe Aperture users might want to consider looking to Phase One for a Lightroom alternative in the excellent raw conversion and DAM application Capture One.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 28, 2014 17:36 |  #14

rdwalton wrote in post #16999072 (external link)

I don't use it

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 28, 2014 18:10 |  #15

rdwalton wrote in post #16999072 (external link)

+1.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

sponsored links

11,248 views & 0 likes for this thread
Apple kills Aperture
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.