Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 Jun 2014 (Friday) 16:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photographer vs. Police

this thread is locked
OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,502 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 02, 2014 23:10 |  #151

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #17008482 (external link)
So both want the officers to be small?

They might want the officers to be fewer.

Nice new signature you've got there. It's appropriate and amusing.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 02, 2014 23:24 |  #152

Preeb wrote in post #17008610 (external link)
No, they need more training. Do you really think that those small town deputies have the same level of training as a city cop? I don't.

Discipline him, train him, and if he still doesn't get the message, then maybe he needs to find another line of work.

You'd kind of hope the SENIOR officer (the second cop) would have more of a clue about the law than the officers he is in charge of. Regardless though all police officers should know the laws they are upholding... basic job requirement. Why should it be expected for a small town deputy be any less competent? Or should all small towns expect the police not to know what they are doing? Why would a small town accept a second rate police force?

Peter

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,502 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 03, 2014 01:49 |  #153

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17008645 (external link)
Regardless though all police officers should know the laws they are upholding... basic job requirement. Why should it be expected for a small town deputy be any less competent?

It might be realistically expected that in any jurisdiction the laws about photography would come into play less often than the laws about driving, theft, battery, firearms, and dozens of other matters, and officers have only so much time to train and study. There are a great lot of laws. In a small town that isn't a tourist area, making videos of public scenes would be less common than in New York, say, or D.C., and so the local officers wouldn't have dealt with it much.

As for the officer's grabbing the camera, that was just wrong, and there's no excuse.

Lawyers and judges don't always know the laws, either. The next-to-last time I had jury duty, I happened to know that the statute that the judge cited when reading the charges didn't apply in the city where the offenses were alleged to have occurred. I sent him a note.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Maelochs
26 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 03, 2014 05:49 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #154

On the other hand the first officer did know the law---and much more important, knew how to do his job without being disrespectful and acting as though he had the authority to do whatever he wanted. The sheriff? Just a bad cop.

Some people, when given a little power, abuse it a little. The sheriff didn't go overboard---he could have seized the camera, arrested the photog, erased the tape, and lied about the whole thing on the stand. He was decent enough to realize he was wrong and back off.

Anyway .... I am what some might call a liberal. I have been mugged, my home has been burglarized, my car and a couple of my bicycles have been stolen. I still believe in personal rights and personal freedom, and even though I have seen a police officer lie on the stand --about me--I still respect good cops.

Stereotypes are fine until we start remembering that no one perfectly fits a generalization---we are all very complex people.

My takeaway from all this is that I downloaded and have still to research further into exactly what the laws are in the state in which I live. I already knew the most pertinent and obvious ones, but I might need to know all the possibly relevant laws.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have been more than once illegally ordered out of a public area where I had every right to be, and have been ordered--on stated threat of arrest---to stop shooting.

In all those cases I complied, because in those specific cases risking arrest was not worth the shots. But I might be in a situation where I am willing to risk arrest, and I will want to know exactly what my actual rights are, and to be able to state specific statutes by name and number to support my argument.

Also, I will want to remember how totally calm this photog was. By never getting even a little agitated, he set a tone which made it harder for the police to get agitated. That's important when dealing with armed and potentially violent people. Good lesson.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

20,867 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photographer vs. Police
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.