Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Jun 2014 (Saturday) 19:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fill Flash Outdoors

Roxie2401
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 28, 2014 19:06 |  #1

Probably a simple answer, but I'm just beginning to attempt using flash outdoors. Using the 600EX-RT on a 5D MK III. Was shooting some street characters, some wearing hats, so I wanted to try to eliminate facial shadows. Since I was outdoors, I had the flash pointed straight ahead, seeing no reason to use "bounce" since there was nothing to bounce off of.

Got great shots, except for one thing - a shiny spot on the person's forehead, everything was illuminated just fine.

I never liked the "Stofen" type diffusers but with the flash in the forward position, any solutions to the forehead reflection?

Thanks

sponsored links
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 28, 2014 19:22 |  #2

Roxie2401 wrote in post #17000160 (external link)
I never liked the "Stofen" type diffusers but with the flash in the forward position, any solutions to the forehead reflection?

Thanks

Makeup. (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,417 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 28, 2014 23:26 |  #3

Get the flash farther from the lens axis or dial back the flash power a bit.

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 29, 2014 12:46 |  #4

mike_d wrote in post #17000470 (external link)

Mike, can you explain a little more about "farther from the lens axis?"

The "makeup" response touched a nerve - I doubt that I can ask random street characters to apply some makeup - and what is of interest, when I see "professional" new photographers taking shots at (example) political people or Hollywood types - or other "news makers" on the street, I see the flash dead ahead and wondered if they are getting the scene lit or just the face.

Any help is much appreciated!

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,417 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 29, 2014 13:07 |  #5

Roxie2401 wrote in post #17001369 (external link)
Mike, can you explain a little more about "farther from the lens axis?"

Picture a line running straight through the middle of the lens perpendicular to the sensor. That's the lens axis. If you were to put a flash right on that line, its light would travel straight down the line, hit the subject, and bounce back directly down the line and hit the sensor. Imagine doing this into a mirror. You'd basically blind the sensor.

Small cameras and even DSLRs with popup flashes have their flash very close to the lens axis. So the flash tends to get bounced back almost directly into the lens resulting in that classic "flash" look that people usually find distasteful. Not only is the light very flat, ie even and lacking in contrast, but anything shiny like an oily forehead or cheek bone, looks overly bright.

If you were to get the flash farther away from the lens axis, like up on a flash bracket, or arm's length up and left from the camera, the reflections off the shiny parts of the face wouldn't get bounced back so directly into the sensor. Of course, there's limits to what you can practically do outside of a studio environment.

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 29, 2014 13:12 |  #6

mike_d wrote in post #17001392 (external link)
Picture a line running straight through the middle of the lens perpendicular to the sensor. That's the lens axis. If you were to put a flash right on that line, its light would travel straight down the line, hit the subject, and bounce back directly down the line and hit the sensor. Imagine doing this into a mirror. You'd basically blind the sensor.

Small cameras and even DSLRs with popup flashes have their flash very close to the lens axis. So the flash tends to get bounced back almost directly into the lens resulting in that classic "flash" look that people usually find distasteful. Not only is the light very flat, ie even and lacking in contrast, but anything shiny like an oily forehead or cheek bone, looks overly bright.

If you were to get the flash farther away from the lens axis, like up on a flash bracket, or arm's length up and left from the camera, the reflections off the shiny parts of the face wouldn't get bounced back so directly into the sensor. Of course, there's limits to what you can practically do outside of a studio environment.

Mike, so even with the 600EX-RT up about four inches (no pop-up) that is not far enough above the lens axis?

WillMass
713 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 29, 2014 13:47 as a reply to  @ Roxie2401's post |  #7

A flash bracket could help. If using ettl, dial in -(minus)2/3 stop of flash compensation. That should get you close.

You can only fish for so long before you gotta throw a stick of dynamite in the water. :cool:
https://www.facebook.c​om/LiquidPixelsPhoto/ (external link)

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,949 posts
Gallery: 264 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 29, 2014 14:27 |  #8

Flash bender

I AM SHOM

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,417 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 29, 2014 20:05 |  #9

Roxie2401 wrote in post #17001404 (external link)
Mike, so even with the 600EX-RT up about four inches (no pop-up) that is not far enough above the lens axis?

Its somewhat a case of farther is better. A 600EX on the hotshoe is better than a pop-up. A flash bracket or handheld flash is even better. An assistant with a battery-powered studio strobe, 60" umbrella, radio triggers, and a step ladder would be even better but not as practical.

Houston1863
729 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 29, 2014 20:14 as a reply to  @ mike_d's post |  #10

Like Miked, I too was about to suggest using triggers. If you were out with a friend shooting street scenes or had a friend or partner with you, the flash could be held away from the camera and fired by triggers. Something relativity inexpensive like YN-622cs would do the trick. You may still need to power down the flash if not using a diffuser.

Keep enjoying your photography :)

2x5D3, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200/2.8L IS,15 FE, 50L,100L, 2x580EXII, 1x430Exll, Fuji X10, YN-622Cs, Manfrotto Neotec legs, various bits and pieces, my Apples ( 2 living MacBook Pro, 1 dormant PowerBook G4 ), bags and bits of Think Tank stuff
www.picture-u.net (external link)
www.picturing-u.blogspot.com (external link)

drumsfield
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 30, 2014 12:11 |  #11

mike_d wrote in post #17000470 (external link)

This....

Canon 5D MkIII | Olympus OM-D | Olympus E-P2 | 16-35L MKII | 24-70L MKII | 70-200L MKII | 85L MKII | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 | 100-400mm L MKII | 20mm 1.7
Feedback and Full gear list
Website (external link)

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 01, 2014 07:46 |  #12

WillMass wrote in post #17001468 (external link)
A flash bracket could help. If using ettl, dial in -(minus)2/3 stop of flash compensation. That should get you close.

Since I was using ETTL, what is the effect of using flash compensation? Does the ETTL still try to achieve the original flash output or does it "know" to measure it first, then reduce it by the compensation amount?

OceanRipple
244 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jul 01, 2014 08:01 |  #13

Roxie2401 wrote in post #17004835 (external link)
Since I was using ETTL, what is the effect of using flash compensation? Does the ETTL still try to achieve the original flash output or does it "know" to measure it first, then reduce it by the compensation amount?

FEC (with Canon it's separate to EC) biases the ETTL II flash power solution. So ETTL II comes up with an answer - in terms of Speedlite(s) output - and then dials that up or down as per your FEC setting. ie It measures - comes up with its default answer but then applies your compensation/correctio​n (to the flash power, alone). HTH

pictureman62
439 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 01, 2014 15:22 |  #14

Roxie, sent you a pm.

Capture today, for everyone to enjoy tomorrow!:D
5D mkiii / 6D / 7D / (4) 600ex-rt, / Canon 135 F2 L /Canon 200 2.8L / Canon 24-105 4L / Canon 24-70 2.8 L / Canon 70-200 4 L / Canon 85 1.8 /Canon 50 1.8 STM / Canon ef-s 17-55 2.8 and plenty of smiles!:D

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 01, 2014 18:11 as a reply to  @ pictureman62's post |  #15

Shoot upward, with the pull out - out, see the manual. P28 its called the catchlight panel or similar.
Works if you are reasonably close.

Prefer OCF myself!

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

sponsored links

3,232 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fill Flash Outdoors
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.