Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 29 Jun 2014 (Sunday) 01:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just sold a photo I haven't even shot yet...

modestglock26
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 29, 2014 01:30 |  #1

I feel nothing but anxiety at the moment. My sister and her family are in town visiting so we've been hanging out and having a good time. They know I am into photography for fun and I often send them random shots I take when emailing updates to them.

So, tonight my brother in law starts talking about Peter Lik and a few of his prints he was planning on buying. I didn't know him by name so we sat around looking at his work and it's great stuff. Nothing I could ever have the means to recreate with my skills or gear. Then the brother in law jokingly says "how about I write you a check and you make me a a print for my man room?" to which I told him the Lik would be a better shot and investment. I just thought he would possibly enjoy it more for obvious reasons.

Well, we were all calling it a night and he comes and hands me a check and says, I'll have another check for you when I hang it on my wall. So, I'm officially stressing cause I know he wants a large print and I don't have amazing gear. I feel like anything I do would probably be a let down when compared to the Lik's shots he was showing me.

Never being in this situation before, can I somehow stitch or manage some larger prints from my 5d classic? He is looking for a pano type shot around 2'x5' or possibly a little longer. I'd have to find someone to have this printed in the area he lives or shipped which I'm guessing would cost more.

I tried to steer him away from me and my photos, but he is insisting saying he sees something in my shots he likes. So, naturally it's 2:30am and I can't sleep and I'm wondering if I can even come up with something. I told him I wouldn't cash the check.

With a 5d classic, what would my options be for getting a print that big accomplished? I'm assuming stitching shots is all I can really do at this time.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 29, 2014 02:24 |  #2

Well, first off if you want a "local" print provider, from what I've seen Costco is the best chain provider. You'd have to check with them as far as specifics for what you want...oh, and you'd have to be a member!:)

As to what you can get with your 5DC, it really depends on your viewing distance. I mean, the 5DC can do great with large images/prints, but a 2'x5' print won't stand up under real close scrutiny, whereas I can look closely at a 100% view/crop and, hey, give me a magnifying glass!

Really, it's up to you and your BIL as far as what would pass "muster"! Sure, stitching a few shots together would work fine!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

paul3221
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 29, 2014 10:08 |  #3

How big is the check, and how much do you believe in your photography skills? You could cash the check to buy the new camera in advance... ;-)a Of course then it puts more pressure on you to get the shot. I've blown up single shots from a 5DII to 20x48 (cropped to pano format), and they look good. It's going to be tough to match the resolution of Lik's stuff with any camera that you or I have. Most of his stuff is shot with medium format digital that has a much higher resolution.
You may want to do some test with your current camera. Lightroom and Photoshop are really pretty good at enlarging. It may do a good enough job that you can pull it off with your current gear.

Paul
Sony A7RII, 5DII, a bunch of lenses and lighting... Whatever gets the shot... ;-)a
www.PaulDekortPhotogra​phy.com (external link)
Facebook Photography Page (external link)
500px (external link)

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 29, 2014 11:26 |  #4

paul3221 wrote in post #17001119 (external link)
How big is the check, and how much do you believe in your photography skills? You could cash the check to buy the new camera in advance... ;-)a Of course then it puts more pressure on you to get the shot. I've blown up single shots from a 5DII to 20x48 (cropped to pano format), and they look good. It's going to be tough to match the resolution of Lik's stuff with any camera that you or I have. Most of his stuff is shot with medium format digital that has a much higher resolution.
You may want to do some test with your current camera. Lightroom and Photoshop are really pretty good at enlarging. It may do a good enough job that you can pull it off with your current gear.

I definitely don't think I can compete with a Lik shot in a million years but I know my gear causes it's own limitations as well. Right now I'm just stressed because how do you say "okay so he wanted a Lik and now he's writing me a check instead and I hope I don't suck."

The first check is substantial but I don't think a new camera would cause me to stop freaking out. It's not enough for me to go buy something insane, but it would cover a higher resolution Rebel or something like that. I'd still have to get the print ordered and shipped to him before the second check. I guess I'm trying to find out how sharp a massive image needs to be. I recall seeing something before about how large shots meant to be viewed from a few feet away can still look nice because it's not about being 3 inches away looking for tiny flaws. I guess I just want to make sure he is happy with it. I know it sounds like a silly thing to freak out about but I am simply a hobbyist and when people hand me money for my stuff I still feel like "why would you want my photos?"

I did read that PS Elements had a photomerge feature I might need to try using. I have a trip and with the 5d I'm wondering if I can get a good landscape for him and stitch then together for a wider print.

He is also okay with something about 40"x50" which I've seen I can order online pretty easily from a few canvas print sites.

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 29, 2014 15:16 |  #5

Sorry, should've probably put this in the print section. Some how I managed to overlook it.

Caspita
687 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 29, 2014 19:05 as a reply to  @ modestglock26's post |  #6

If you stitch two or three photos together I think you will be able to get a pretty decent result for a 2'x5'. If not maybe just consider renting a 5DmarkII for a week or so which will definitely give you a resolution bump. Don't focus so much on Peter Lik and his work, and think of a great location and great time of day to shoot. Sunrise or sunset will give you the most dynamic lighting for sure. Also I would tell you to start calling some printing/framing labs because you would be surprised at how expensive that process can get when you start looking at large sizes. If you have any other questions let me know.

Casp
Fine Art Site (external link) | Commercial Site (external link)

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 29, 2014 19:51 |  #7

Caspita wrote in post #17002009 (external link)
If you stitch two or three photos together I think you will be able to get a pretty decent result for a 2'x5'. If not maybe just consider renting a 5DmarkII for a week or so which will definitely give you a resolution bump. Don't focus so much on Peter Lik and his work, and think of a great location and great time of day to shoot. Sunrise or sunset will give you the most dynamic lighting for sure. Also I would tell you to start calling some printing/framing labs because you would be surprised at how expensive that process can get when you start looking at large sizes. If you have any other questions let me know.

Thank you for the insight. Realizing the print section was probably where I needed to lurk but I was thinking about how he wanted landscape images so I ran and hid here.

I've got a few shots he is already in love with so I have a slight idea of what he's a fan of. I looked around at a few printing sites online and I'm looking at about $4-500 for the canvas print right now, but I keep seeing lots of discounts online that would save me about 40% off. I'm trying to ignore the fact he was about to drop a few grand on a Lik.

I just bought Elements 12 so hopefully some fresh shots + photomerge will help me get him something he will be happy with.

paul3221
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 30, 2014 08:45 |  #8

modestglock26 wrote in post #17001260 (external link)
He is also okay with something about 40"x50" which I've seen I can order online pretty easily from a few canvas print sites.

If you're printing on Canvas, I wouldn't worry too much about your camera. Compared to an actual print, or even a metal print, Canvas is pretty low res. I've printed a few things on Canvas, and they're all significantly less sharp than a print from the same image. There are a number of places that can print large on photo paper, and are reasonable in price. Bay Photo, and Aspen Creek Photo are two that I use. Good luck...

Paul
Sony A7RII, 5DII, a bunch of lenses and lighting... Whatever gets the shot... ;-)a
www.PaulDekortPhotogra​phy.com (external link)
Facebook Photography Page (external link)
500px (external link)

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 30, 2014 14:08 |  #9

paul3221 wrote in post #17002850 (external link)
If you're printing on Canvas, I wouldn't worry too much about your camera. Compared to an actual print, or even a metal print, Canvas is pretty low res. I've printed a few things on Canvas, and they're all significantly less sharp than a print from the same image. There are a number of places that can print large on photo paper, and are reasonable in price. Bay Photo, and Aspen Creek Photo are two that I use. Good luck...

That's actually something I was hoping to hear. I haven't sent anything to be printed on canvas before, so I am happy that I won't have to worry about it being as tack sharp as possible.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 30, 2014 17:15 |  #10

This is a pretty bizarre situation, but I'll offer this:

1) You are correct, a Canon 5D Classic does not contain enough information in one frame/file to make a print that's 5 feet wide.

2) You don't need to go out and buy a new camera. If you do, it won't fix your situation.

3) A 2ft by 5ft panorama is created by stitching several vertical frames together.

4) If you've never stitched photos together to make a large print, you likely have some practice/work cut out for you.

5) No amount of equipment in the world will create a great image. The photographer creates the image.

6) Great landscape images can sometimes (rarely) happen on the first try, but most of the time, they are created through many trials and error...and the really great scenes can take weeks, months, or even years to create.

7) If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't feel any pressure at all because I would have clearly explained to him that you can't just go out and create a masterpiece for him and left it at that. If he didn't want to listen or understand, well, it wouldn't be a concern of mine.

Best of luck and enjoy your outings in nature. Time spent photographing landscapes are wonderful!

Bryan

My Gear List

smmokan
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 30, 2014 22:48 |  #11

I don't have a ton to add aside from one observation: You'd be surprised how easily a 13MB file (from the 5Dc) can blow up to something quite large, especially if it's a canvas print. I recently printed this image out to 2x4' and it's just about tack sharp unless you're 6" from the canvas looking for imperfections. You can see from the info that I shot it with my old 60D and cropped it to an 11.8MB file size, and I think we all know the 5Dc renders images much cleaner than the 60D.

http://www.stevemokanp​hotography.com …deshow-Pictures/i-gQJC8Q7 (external link)

www.ChasingEpicMTB.com (external link)

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,260 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 02, 2014 07:31 |  #12

smmokan wrote in post #17004384 (external link)
I don't have a ton to add aside from one observation: You'd be surprised how easily a 13MB file (from the 5Dc) can blow up to something quite large, especially if it's a canvas print. I recently printed this image out to 2x4' and it's just about tack sharp unless you're 6" from the canvas looking for imperfections. You can see from the info that I shot it with my old 60D and cropped it to an 11.8MB file size, and I think we all know the 5Dc renders images much cleaner than the 60D.

http://www.stevemokanp​hotography.com …deshow-Pictures/i-gQJC8Q7 (external link)

I agree, I've made 30" prints from fairly small files and they look good, even better on canvas. I've had Sam's Club prints that were high quality, low cost, not sure how big they can go. Not sure what kind of scene you are thinking of, but a "man cave" needs a mountain scene or a great waterfall shot. Slot canyon would be even better.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

James33
568 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 02, 2014 13:51 |  #13

I agree that gear is not your problem. If you have a subject in mind, simply go out and shoot it. Do a vertical pano shot and stich together - all the resolution you need. Canvas prints are fine at 150dpi and even regular prints are fine at 280dpi - 300 dpi is not needed for a quality print in my opinion. Plus, you can get plug-ins that will enlarge your shots and do an amazing job to boot.

Good luck - would like to see what you shoot and hear how it comes out!

www.jamesparkerphoto.c​om (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,074 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 02, 2014 14:05 |  #14

you're gear is not a problem. 1 shot, I dont think any FF camera should attempt a 5' print unless viewing distance is far or a canvas type print.

if you want a great shot:

1. go when lighting is perfect (sunrise/sunset)
2. scope out and take repeated visits if possible.
3. bracket everything (may not be possible if long exposures).

sounds like a lot of work, and it can be. At bare minimum, with all the data you have, you can get help to make your desired masterpiece. Seriously, I would LOVE to be in your shoes. Interesting challenge and would love to print a huge metal print to be displayed at someones house.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

venom3300
610 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jul 02, 2014 14:06 |  #15

rent a camera and lens. perhaps one of those 36mp sensors?

Bodies: Nikon D800,Canon Rebel GII, Pentax K1000
Lenses: Nikon 20mm 1.8, Nikon 24 2.8 MF, Tamron SP 35mm 1.8, Tamron 90 2.8 Macro, Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR I, Nikon AI-P 500mm F4, Nikon TC-16A, SMC Pentax-A 50/1.7, SMC Pentax-M 100/4 Macro

sponsored links

6,994 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just sold a photo I haven't even shot yet...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.