Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Jul 2014 (Tuesday) 21:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #491 - STAGE PHOTOS

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 01, 2014 21:48 |  #1

Challenge #491 - STAGE PHOTOS

Submissions

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/491_thumbnails_chronological.jpg

From my own experience of the past weekend, I thought that the end of school year is a good time for stage photos.
It was not, but I got interesting entries and some clever titles too.

Comments in the order of appearance:

• teekay – G15 – At The Farmers Market
    Not the usual stage, but certainly an interesting one. I love the rustic look of the structures, the concentration of the performers and the ladies talking about something not related to the music :)
    I see a careful attention to the exposure, it seems a difficult balance of the bright sunlight and the shadows.
    A lot of other interesting details! I wonder about the meaning of the banner above the stage or about the sign with something about the dogs.
    Thank you for another first entry to start the challenge.
    -
  • OhLook – G15 – Young Drummer
    Another performer in bright sunlight and an unusual background of trees. The low angle showing the bottom of the cymbals adds a bit of volume and the blurred drumsticks provide the movement, that is always interesting in a snapshot of a drummer.
    -
  • JimmyM – G15 – Jon Gomm Live at Leaf Bar Liverpool
    It seems a typical small stage, and he a seasoned performer. Interesting to see the unusual wear in the guitar's body. The faint contrast between the black clothes and the black background plus the accurate exposure of the artist and the instrument contribute to produce an very interesting photo.
  • Raven – G10 - Backstage in Wardrobe
    Or the wardrobe in the backstage. There are always wardrobes behind the stage, although not always a little boy is allowed to be there, dreaming of wonderful tales. I love the reflected image, really resembles theatrical lighting after changing the direct flash in his back to a backlight in the reflected character. I am sure he will be in a real stage, at least in school.
    -
  • marie – Pro1 – Nature's 'Swan Lake' on its watery stage
    Beautiful Swans, marie, I almost can hear the music of Tchaikovsky, and the photo title says it all: If the name of one of them is 'Odette then she may be the Enchanted Princess and she has her place in the mythical Stage of the Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow or the Mariinsky Theatre in Saint Petersburg where the 'Swan Lake' Ballet fame started.
    -

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/491_thumbnails_winners.jpg

JimmyM, congratulations. Choose your theme for challenge #492.
Welcome to the challenges with a fine sample of your work. Good Luck!

STAGE PHOTOS topic description:

Foreword:
Sunday 29 was the Giselle Ballet School Closing Gala 2013-2014.
It happens that my granddaughter (4) got her place as one of many Little Red Riding Hoods in the Sleeping Beauty Ballet with the music of Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky.
I was there, pushing my old cameras to the limits, hopping to get a usable photo or two.

This week I'm asking you to emulate my quest :), I hope with better look.

Show me your STAGE PHOTOS.
No need to have a Grand Ballet on hand. Theater in the school, Music in the school, Dance in the school are great subjects for the end of the year.
Anything related to preforming arts (professionals or amateurs) will be on topic, even performers in the street.

I would like to see stage lighting, stage action, but I'm not setting restrictions. I will see your interpretation of the theme. Be creative!.

Note: This topic and others related were presented before. Be kind and show as new material if possible. As stated in the rules, photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.

Good luck!

To submit, click Post Reply and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 07 July 2014.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G15, G16, G1X, G1X Mark II and Pro1 only.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the message subject line.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature
on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging"
(about a third of the way down the page).
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jul 05, 2014 17:26 |  #2

At The Farmers Market

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

G15

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,065 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by OhLook.

Jul 06, 2014 11:02 as a reply to  @ teekay's post |  #3

Young Drummer

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

G15

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

JimmyM
29 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 06, 2014 12:57 |  #4

Jon Gomm Live at Leaf Bar Liverpool

Jon Gomm live at Leaf Liverpool. G15

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3878/14588998065_9dd46760c6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/oebq​Rp  (external link) Jon Gomm (external link) by BluethumbPhoto (external link), on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/jimmbob/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om …ography?ref_typ​e=bookmark (external link)

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 07, 2014 02:29 as a reply to  @ JimmyM's post |  #5

Backstage in Wardrobe

G10

IMAGE: http://jimowensphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v177/p477106214-5.jpg

~ Jim

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Jul 07, 2014 05:37 as a reply to  @ Raven's post |  #6

Nature's 'Swan Lake' on its watery stage

Pro1 1/60 f2.8

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/image/156465935/original.jpg

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 07, 2014 12:09 |  #7

Thank you for the participation!

Challenge # 491 - STAGE PHOTOS is now CLOSED for judging.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 08, 2014 02:10 |  #8

Results posted on top.

Comments are welcome.

rafael

JimmyM
29 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 08, 2014 03:05 |  #9

Wow! Thanks for the placing. Very happy with that result.

The Leaf bar in Liverpool UK is a very small intimate venue for live acts. The lighting is not very good to shoot in and the stage is tiny. This was the G15's first proper outing at a gig and I can honestly say I was, and still am, amazed at the results this little gem of a camera can produce. The raw files are very good to work with and certainly made the difference in the case of this series of shots. The wear on Jon's guitar (Wilma) is down to him drumming on the body with his hands and finger nails.

Thanks again and well done to everybody else who took part. Have a great day! :)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,065 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 08, 2014 10:01 |  #10

Thanks for third place, and my compliments to everyone else. JimmyM, your photo looks quite professional, like what a journalist would do.

Rafael, Raven's excellent entry is missing from the thumbnails.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jul 08, 2014 10:46 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #11

Congratulations JimmyM - your entry was a clear winner this week!

Rafael, thanks for the second place - I was getting worried there for a while thinking I might be stuck with a win by default.;)

Yes, you're right, I had major trouble with the light. The stage was in shade and I had to shoot directly into the sun, so most of my shots had lots of lens flare since my G15 has no lens hood. I tried shooting from the side and back but got no good shots - the musicians weren't the most photogenic. The notice says that dogs must be on leash.

JimmyM
29 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 08, 2014 10:52 |  #12

Thank you both, your comments are much appreciated. Have a great day guys

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,065 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jul 08, 2014 13:22 |  #13

OhLook wrote in post #17018732 (external link)
Rafael, Raven's excellent entry is missing from the thumbnails.

No, it isn't. It just didn't show on my narrow screen--too far to the right. Whoops! Sorry!

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 08, 2014 14:02 |  #14

Thanks for a fun theme this week, Rafael. Well judged. I think the top three were quite close (although Marie's swans are awesome) but your order was the same as I had predicted.

I exhausted my stage-related photos in previous contests but ran across this one from a few years back. I still can't figure out what that costume was meant to portray :-)

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 08, 2014 18:41 |  #15

Congrats to all. Wonderful photos this week! I was lurking but alas.... no stage photos and no populated stage nearby so I chose to spectate only. Thanks for the challenge Rafael. I really appreciate your commentary as well.

sponsored links

4,968 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #491 - STAGE PHOTOS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.