Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 15 Jul 2014 (Tuesday) 10:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

An FBI Counterterrorism Agent Tracked Me Down Because I Took a Picture of This

this thread is locked
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 15, 2014 10:03 |  #1

https://www.aclu.org …wn-because-i-took-picture (external link)

Be careful where you point your camera, the Staatssicherheit are watching you.

sponsored links
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,647 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jul 15, 2014 10:09 |  #2

Wow. What a waste of OUR monies.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 15, 2014 11:13 |  #3

TBH, I don't mind them checking you (or me) out just to be sure you are who you said you were. If it had gone beyond that to charges, that would be a very different matter.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

chevyzen
130 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2012

Jul 15, 2014 11:17 |  #4

my how the lines have blurred

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,510 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 15, 2014 11:22 |  #5

You can use Google Street View to go most of the way around this tank. And there are very detailed pictures accompanying the Street View. I'd say it's time the Feds start investigating Google.

Oh wait.....

Mark J.
Gear

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 15, 2014 11:23 |  #6

"Protect us! but everyone is perfect without a single evil thought in their minds, so you shouldn't question anyone or do anything to protect us!"

There is enough energy to level a large chunk of a sizeable city in one of those tanks if you know what you are doing with one, so of course there is zero reason to care whatsoever when someone is seen taking an unusual level of interest in such a facility.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

chantu
904 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 15, 2014 11:23 |  #7

I wouldn't fret it. Innocent people have nothing to hide. The security people are just doing their job. Stopping terrorism is like look for a needle in a haystack.

geparry
80 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 15, 2014 11:31 |  #8

It is the attitude of "if I didn't do anything wrong, then I won't be in trouble" that is allowing our leaders to take our once great constitutional republic towards totalitarianism. What people don't realize is that the government has and will accelerate use of unconstitutional powers to build absolute power over the people. They already abuse these powers to punish those who try to make public the dirty side of government and the list of undesirables will only grow over time.

Canon 5D MarkIII 24-105 F4 L IS | 100 F2.8 macro| 85mm 1.8 | 70-200 F2.8 L IS MK II | TS-E 40mm 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 20mm 2.8 | 300mm 4.0 L IS
Flickr (external link)

Elfstop
720 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 15, 2014 11:34 |  #9

chantu wrote in post #17033505 (external link)
I wouldn't fret it. Innocent people have nothing to hide. The security people are just doing their job. Stopping terrorism is like look for a needle in a haystack.

That was dated 2004...the security guards generated an investigation based on those times so close to 911....The response was not quick enough in my opinion.

mfingar
Goldmember
1,314 posts
Gallery: 209 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 15, 2014 11:46 |  #10

Happened to me.

Two CT agents visited me for taking photos of inbound aircraft from a public parking lot near an airport. Someone called in my plates and said I acted suspiciously. LOL...I was in plain view with a 600mm lens, not exactly a covert operation. Asked me a bunch of basic questions. They were polite, told me to call if I were to continue...just to give them a heads up.

www.markfingar.com (external link)

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,057 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 15, 2014 11:55 |  #11

False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction.

- Cesare Beccaria

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

- Benjamin Franklin

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 15, 2014 11:59 |  #12

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #17033584 (external link)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

- Benjamin Franklin

Easy words in a time when the most advanced and devastating weapon the world had was thousands of soldiers who could fire 3 shots a minute. But for now, when one man can potentially kill millions in the blink of an eye?

Times have changed.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jul 15, 2014 12:03 |  #13

suspicious activity reporting program,so this is how they spend our money! all in the name of security ha.

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,057 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 15, 2014 12:07 |  #14

Luckless wrote in post #17033597 (external link)
Easy words in a time when the most advanced and devastating weapon the world had was at hand were thousands of soldiers who can fire 3 shots a minute. But for now, when one man can potentially kill millions in the blink of an eye?

Times have changed.

Nonsense.

Liberty does not change due to technology. The change is due to laziness, lack of sense and moral failure.

You are free to sacrifice your liberty for whatever whim you fancy. You are not, however, free to surrender mine.

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 15, 2014 12:19 |  #15

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #17033616 (external link)
Nonsense.

Liberty does not change due to technology. The change is due to laziness, lack of sense and moral failure.

You are free to sacrifice your liberty for whatever whim you fancy. You are not, however, free to surrender mine.

So no one should ever possibly question someone wandering around acting in what they deem a suspicious manner? The fact that you quoted that line would suggest that you feel that someone potentially asking you what you are doing, and you telling them, is to give up your liberty.

I would then have to assume that you are perfectly fine with some nut case planing bombs, thereby killing hundreds or thousands of people should never possibly have had someone stop and ask what he was doing. Or possibly stop and ask why he was buying the suspiciously odd volumes of materials that could potentially be used for such devices?

After all, maybe he doesn't want to carry that small packet with him, so he is just hiding it somewhere and planning to come back and get it in a few minutes, or he is leaving it as a surprise for a friend.

No one should EVER face the HORROR of someone Questioning their perfectly peaceful actions!

Clearly law enforcement should only ever talk to criminals! I'm sure if we ask nicely all the criminals will wear an arm band or something for us so we can easily pick them out in a crowd...

sponsored links

14,552 views & 0 likes for this thread
An FBI Counterterrorism Agent Tracked Me Down Because I Took a Picture of This
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.